What are you working on? (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Split case is becoming more and more appealing. I still want an Orion, but I don’t trust the Orions.

I like the idea of the high range underdrive gear option on a split case too, since mine is primarily road driven.

I've been doing a few weeks of production parts at the shop...
Torchmate 001.JPG
Torchmate 002.JPG
Torchmate 003.JPG
Torchmate 004.JPG
Torchmate 005.JPG

Split case is becoming more and more appealing. I still want an Orion, but I don’t trust the Orions.

I like the idea of the high range underdrive gear option on a split case too, since mine is primarily road driven.
Start looking for a split case they are getting hard to find.

Start looking for a split case they are getting hard to find.
Orion would suit my needs well and wouldn't necessitate a total overhaul to my driveshafts, etc. I've just read wayyy too many quality control issues... Constantly popping out of gear, cracks in castings, missing huge numbers of parts in the kits, etc. If I go this route, I'll probably order it from one of the vendors, as opposed to straight from AA...

Split case is actually, in the long run, a more elegant solution I think, lots more options, but unless you also opt for the (expensive and rare) drum brake adapter, you also have to figure out a parking brake solution...

The struggle is real...

Last edited:
BumperCollage.png

My very first attempt at using BendTech Pro to design parts, cut them on a Dragon A150, and bend them using a mandrel bender. First try was nearly spot on. I had to adjust the top hoop 1" narrower and that nailed it.
Granted, it was duplicating an existing piece, but I was pretty pleased that I got all the measurements correct and was able to input it all into the software. I had some coaching through the steps, but mostly left to my own devices.

I won't say I'm scared of this thing, but I certainly have a very healthy respect for it!
IMG_6202edit.JPG

Been awhile but just finished a bunch of the milestone maintenance on the GX and trailer. Heading west tomorrow morning for 2 1/2 weeks to spend some time exploring southern Utah, AZ and NM. If I can get through the Midwest without being blown away, it should be a good trip. Timing belt, water pump, serpentine, pulleys, plugs, fluids, etc. all are fresh and ready to go.

Heading west tomorrow morning for 2 1/2 weeks to spend some time exploring southern Utah, AZ and NM
Sounds awesome! Going solo?

You'll be awfully close to southwestern CO too- lotsa good stuff there although the snowpack is gonna limit mountainous off road travel. Have a great time!!!!!
Hey Gary, doing an overnight in Salida and then over to Ouray on Friday. Currently riding out the storm in Ohio at a Brew Pub.

Suggest supper in Ouray at the Bon Ton it was always my favorite in town. It's in the lower level of the St. Elmo hotel. Please post some pictures in each town you stop in!

Had noise in one of the rear brakes after installing e brake handle on my 40. Hmmmm

8D6F895D-4A24-4BB5-9C81-6D0483797BA3.jpeg

52DC87CC-BFF9-4EDF-BB09-53FE5ACEBA95.jpeg

To keep it legit, we are working on making our way through Utah with a pit stop in Co.
Spent the night near Buena Vista but was in the low 20s the next morning so we pushed on to UT.
72CEB9D2-5DE0-4C2B-9A2A-05F70DEA95CB.jpeg

Found a spot south of Moab near Spanish Valley. Spent the day exploring and checking out Arches
DEA41BE1-4C1A-42AB-85FA-8B18FF096DD1.jpeg
BBE62C0E-DB2F-49DC-A35D-054AC3E71089.jpeg

Traveled through Canyonlands on our way to Capitol Reef. Found this spot just on the south end of Capitol Reef.
5446932B-6FCD-4A44-AD27-2305939681FA.jpeg

Great sunsets and weather so far. Headed towards Bryce tomorrow and then on to Zion.
B58AC534-E6DA-422A-9C8D-CA309F9E024E.jpeg

I'm continuing to learn the ins and outs of Bend-Tech, the Dragon, and the bender.

This was just experimenting with the software. Bend-Tech CAD doesn't let you make holes for some reason - just notches, but the CAM software allows you to add holes of various sorts. It is just a bit more complex to work out to get what you want.
img_6220edit-jpg.3299606

Then I had to set up the Dragon for rectangular tube to do a production run of torsion (axle) supports. That has its own complexities over round tube.
img_6225edit-jpg.3299607

Finally got the replacement factory brake controller in for the tow rig. Deal was that the trailer brakes on the car hauler acted strange on the way home from AOAA last summer, then would lock up completely when trailer was plugged in. After recovering from the ruptured Achilles that took me out of commission last fall/winter, we re-wired the trailer and it still did it. After research and diagnosis, I narrowed it down to likely be the controller module, which was on national back order for 2 months. Finally arrived Tuesday and installed last night. Error messages on the dash went away, so good sign. For kicks I opened up the old one to look for anything. Results below. Kinda nice when the post-mortem confirms suspicions.

Theory I have is that on the last long trip, loose brake wires crossed and shorted out under braking, and too much amperage went through the unit before a fuse blew. Hopefully all new wiring on the trailer resolves it, but I’m considering adding a blade fuse to the brake wiring on the trailer to catch any spikes before it could nuke another controller. Guess I’d have to get an amp meter to properly size it, and run a few tests measuring output to get it right.

A3B22F82-E8E5-4D03-BF59-C14934D4F25A.jpeg

4B04C43F-C2F4-4A20-B739-F1EED0CC5EF7.jpeg

Did a full teardown, cleaning, and rebuild of the front gate on the Dragon. Then went through all the calibration procedures. Finally ran a bunch of 2x2x0.120 tube for frame main rails. The V's are for the bends in the frame. They stay intact for the Dragon, but then finish cutting them with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel for the bends.

IMG_6226edit.JPG

IMG_6227edit.JPG

IMG_6229edit.JPG

Been busy the last two weeks. Finished up a complete OME suspension install on my brother in law's 40 then put a Dakota Digital instrument cluster in it. He just picked it up Saturday I was glad to get my garage space back!!!!
Took the top off my 40 on Saturday. The old girl is so much more enjoyable to drive without the top and doors. Handles better, has more pep, and is just more fun to drive.
And cleaning off my storage trailer, gave away a few 40 fenders Saturday to a fellow club member and another member is coming up this week to get most of the rest of the stuff. Plan is to scrap the trailer when emptied. I've had it sitting here for more years than I care to remember but it's time for it to disappear. For most of those years it was packed with cruiser parts but with my trying to minimize the inventory it has become time to part with the trailer.
And just registered last evening for this year's Coal Mine event. I didn't attend the first one but haven't missed since. It's a great time right here in our back yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom