Has my transmission grenaded? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Probably the best Land Cruiser transmission builders out there. They are in Australia.

You might reach out to Georg at Valley Hybrids. They have been a US source for Wholesale Automatics products.

Probably the best Land Cruiser transmission builders out there. They are in Australia.

You might reach out to Georg at Valley Hybrids. They have been a US source for Wholesale Automatics products.

thank you. Inquiry sent to Valley Hybrids.

Curious if there’s any DTCs logged or is your CEL on?

You might look here for a rebuilder

Application Range for A343F - 4 Speed Automatic Transmission
  • 1993-1996 Land Cruiser Prado (3.0l)
  • 1995-1997 Land Cruiser 80-series (4x4)
  • 1998-2001 Land Cruiser 100-series (4x4)
  • 1996-1998 Lexus LX 450 (4x4)
  • 1998-2002 Lexus LX 470 (4x4)

Curious if there’s any DTCs logged or is your CEL on?

You might look here for a rebuilder

Application Range for A343F - 4 Speed Automatic Transmission
  • 1993-1996 Land Cruiser Prado (3.0l)
  • 1995-1997 Land Cruiser 80-series (4x4)
  • 1998-2001 Land Cruiser 100-series (4x4)
  • 1996-1998 Lexus LX 450 (4x4)
  • 1998-2002 Lexus LX 470 (4x4)
The CEL is not on and there are no DTCs stored in the computer

Definitely coming from the center of the vehicle. In this video, you'll hear it get louder as i get under the transmission pan. Starter is operating normal.

It's 100% transmission, I recently bought a RAV4 with bad transmission and it sounded exactly the same. For curiosity I removed the transmission oil pan and found chunks of metal with strange needle roller bearing balls in the sump.

Assuming flex plate ruled out.

A/T pan drop is certainly and option. But the 98-02 A/T pans are FIPG sealed, so a bit of a PITA. Consider draining the transmission pan through a fine filter. Then inspect filter. The pan magnets may or may not have caught all metal partials. But perhaps some metal got by them or some clutch material. You can also get a Black Stone sample bottle, and have fluid analyzed. If you find any debris, consider a used transmission if budget a concern. Run history of any used transmission with carfax and Toyota/Lexus, using VIN#. I look for Aug 2000 up, closer to later 2002 the better.

The whole sale automatic transmissions is owned by Rocket Rod: he got tons of Youtube shows including his own and few 4wd247.

My point is these automatic transmissions are 4 speed and ancient. It is not difficulty to rebuild a 4 speed as opposed to a 10 speed trans. I know a guy in Shreveport LA who do trans rebuild in 4Runner, FJ's TAco's and LC's. I infact posted a link in this thread and he explains a lot about auto's.

I have never rebuild an automatic transmission but it is not rocket science either. For an experienced who have dealt with rebuilding auto's, a toyota trans would not make any difference. Afterall...Toyota never invented auto's, it's I believe Allison/GM so anyone dealing with GM/Ford/Allison would know how to build an auto. The shop I rebuild mine said they have access to automatic parts through an American manufacturer.

To properly build an auto, I think (due to the destruction on non-wear items such as plenatary gears etc.,) you would look near $4000. Yes, it is expensive and has nothing to do with the market value of the vehicle.

Having said all this: you still need to ensure what is exactly wrong.

The whole sale automatic transmissions is owned by Rocket Rod: he got tons of Youtube shows including his own and few 4wd247.

My point is these automatic transmissions are 4 speed and ancient. It is not difficulty to rebuild a 4 speed as opposed to a 10 speed trans. I know a guy in Shreveport LA who do trans rebuild in 4Runner, FJ's TAco's and LC's. I infact posted a link in this thread and he explains a lot about auto's.

I have never rebuild an automatic transmission but it is not rocket science either. For an experienced who have dealt with rebuilding auto's, a toyota trans would not make any difference. Afterall...Toyota never invented auto's, it's I believe Allison/GM so anyone dealing with GM/Ford/Allison would know how to build an auto. The shop I rebuild mine said they have access to automatic parts through an American manufacturer.

To properly build an auto, I think (due to the destruction on non-wear items such as plenatary gears etc.,) you would look near $4000. Yes, it is expensive and has nothing to do with the market value of the vehicle.

Having said all this: you still need to ensure what is exactly wrong.
"Having said all this: you still need to ensure what is exactly wrong"
And that's the rub. The transmission shops that have heard the video and know the current symptoms, both have said the tranny is more than likely shot something do to with the planetary gears. Another shop did mention, like I stated earlier, perhaps a 'coupler' between the input shaft and the transfer case has stripped out and would cause a similar noise. I guess the last step with my limited mechanical skills would be to drain the pan through a filter as another member mentioned and inspect for metal particles...it would at least be one more piece of data to provide to a shop.

"Having said all this: you still need to ensure what is exactly wrong"
And that's the rub. The transmission shops that have heard the video and know the current symptoms, both have said the tranny is more than likely shot something do to with the planetary gears. Another shop did mention, like I stated earlier, perhaps a 'coupler' between the input shaft and the transfer case has stripped out and would cause a similar noise. I guess the last step with my limited mechanical skills would be to drain the pan through a filter as another member mentioned and inspect for metal particles...it would at least be one more piece of data to provide to a shop.
You might be at the step where you go ahead and take it to a shop. A reputable shop will still diagnose it themselves but you at least now have a sense of what might be wrong. Following along to see what the solution is...

on my list for this afternoon....thanks
with respect to the following quote....it sounds like they'll only repair/rebuild what is damaged. Is it unrealistic or possible to just replace everything internally with all new parts...to me, that would be a complete rebuild?

the price range to rebuild your transmission is from $2295.95+tax (labor, rebuild kit, rebuilt torque converter and fluid) up to a maximum of$4150.00+tax (depending on steel part damage and electronic component failure).

For curiosity's sake, if you're this far (and $$$) down the rabbit hole, I wonder how much more it would cost (and difficulty) to swap in a 5 speed?

Hell...I'm open to suggestions. What's the 5spd 'equivalent'....if there is such a thing.
I wouldn't call it an equivalent but the 03-07 had a 5 speed. I'd guess that even if it would physically mount up, you might run into ECU issues.

I'm curious if anyone has done it though and how much it would cost.

So I shared the following with one of the rebuilders I'm talking to. I asked if his rebuild would be all new parts or jus those that were damaged.....as suspected, just those that are damaged. With that said....if this is the standard approach, isn't my 'new' transmission only as good as the weakest original non-damaged part? Seems like a bit of a crapshoot to me for 4k+.......
1680891098861.png

I believe a 5 speed transmission would have some issues since the ECU controls parts of it. I am sure it is possible, just would not be plug and play.

So I shared the following with one of the rebuilders I'm talking to. I asked if his rebuild would be all new parts or jus those that were damaged.....as suspected, just those that are damaged. With that said....if this is the standard approach, isn't my 'new' transmission only as good as the weakest original non-damaged part? Seems like a bit of a crapshoot to me for 4k+.......
View attachment 3293072

Every rebuild of any kind kind of multiple component assembly is a crap shoot.

View attachment 3293072
The weakest part in the 2000 box is the needle roller bearing inside the O/D gear. IF this got replaced before it disintegrated, nothing would have happened.

If the transmission grenaded, nearly all the internal parts are gone beyond any use. The shop will source parts from their vendors (most internal parts are discountinued at Toyota). If their supplier is unable to supply all the mechanical parts they need, most likely they'll get a good used toyota trans and rebuild it with clutch packs, bearings/needle rollers, seals, o-rings, bushings, band etc.,: Overall, all the mechanical/electrical parts such as solenoids, valve body, planetary gears, input/output shafts etc will be from the used Toyota box with new rebuilt kit as stated above.

The choice is yours: Just giving what I've been through. When mine went out, I was 500 miles away from home and had hard time getting the necessary information to make my selection: My only option was to get it rebuild or pay for parking and towing charges. The shop I got my trans rebuilt was doing all the San Antonio city and police department trucks too so I was quite confident of their work. I saw couple of PD and City vehicles in their shop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom