Chainsaw advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thread resurrection, just to say "thanks" to D'Animal and others for the good advice in several of these similar threads. Just bought 92 acres with a ton of red cedars/junipers but also mixed hardwoods. Bought a new Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss yesterday, and it cuts those cedars like butter. The local dealer didn't have any promotions running currently on the 271, but because I asked about promotions, they gave me an extra chain anyway when I bought a case for the saw. And doubled the factory warranty when I bought a gallon of the Stihl pre-mixed fuel. Really happy with it so far.

Wanted to say thanks to @D'Animal and others for their solid saw advice. I needed to replace a 010AV that I purchased used 20 odd years ago so I went with the 170 which has proven perfect for my needs. I guess a 25x might have been the alternative, but I'm really happy with my choice.

I in a similar boat to OP. I have an Stihl 046 for big jobs and have been using a Solo 639 for the smaller work. The 639 is about to give out. I have settled in a Stihl 261, but they now make three models: 261, 261 C-M and 261 C-MQ. The C-M models apparently have electronic fuel or ignition control and the Q has a quick stop handle release feature. Any thoughts on which if this is best? Any downside to the electronics? Thanks,

So do you think the 261 or the 261 C-M is a better saw. I am not really worried about price difference on these, just want the better saw. I only cut wood a couple of times year, but when I cut, I cut a whole lot. I also cut in hot weather, snow, you name it. I also really take care of my tools and they usually last me many years.

I have one of the MS 261 C-M's and very pleased with it. I cut at sea level and up to 9,000 ft and do not have to worry about adjusting the carburetor.

The maintenance is the same for both versions. Run clean mix fuel, keep the chain sharp clean the air filter and either one will give you many years of service.

Great. Thanks. I might pull the trigger this weekend on the 261 C-M, as we live near the mounts and I probably cut at a range of 4000'.

Do Stihls ever go on sale or have promotions? My brother has a MS170 and I think I'd like to get one thats a tad bigger, I'm thinking an MS250. I've been watching the local classifieds for deals for a little bit now but just thought I'd ask here too. Is there a best "season" to buy a saw? Do dealers clear them out in the fall? I think you guys get what I'm asking...thanks.

Call your local dealer, they will be more than happy to let you know when they have a promotion coming up.

Not long after asking my promotion question I was on Stihls site and saw that the MS250 is on promo for $299 which is $50 off. They are also doing a promo for " over $40 off a case and extra chain" but it doesn't say what final cost is for them. I'm likely going to pick this stuff up tomorrow during my lunch. I think this should work well for how I plan to use it.

I in a similar boat to OP. I have an Stihl 046 for big jobs and have been using a Solo 639 for the smaller work. The 639 is about to give out. I have settled in a Stihl 261, but they now make three models: 261, 261 C-M and 261 C-MQ. The C-M models apparently have electronic fuel or ignition control and the Q has a quick stop handle release feature. Any thoughts on which if this is best? Any downside to the electronics? Thanks,

Rebuild that Solo. Don't retire it. Solo builds a solid saw.

I've got a 603 that was built in 1986. West Coast edition, 103 cc, Full wrap.

solo603_1.jpg

sticker2.JPG

Last edited:
I need one of those stickers. Where do I get one? It is getting hard to get parts for the Solo. They no longer make saws, sold the rights to someone else. I bought the 261, but miss the Solo. It is not running well enough to rely upon.

Circling back through this thread rather than starting a new one -

The Stihl MS 271 I bought new 7 years ago is giving up the ghost. Granted, I have run it hard and often over that time, I have cut down and cut up uncounted Mountain Cedars and pruned a bunch of oaks and other hardwoods. It has never had anything but Motomix and Stihl bar oil in it, but now it has lost compression and lacks power, it will barely cut anything, and only then at high revs. I have kept it reasonably clean; it hasn't otherwise needed any maintenance, and still starts easily every time.

I can't buy a piston and rings for it, and a short block from Stihl costs as much as a whole new saw. I'm a little disappointed with the lack of parts availability. Any advice from @D'Animal or others before I just go buy another saw?

MS 271 Before serial number
1141 030 2012 Piston Assy
1141 020 1203 Cylinder & Piston Assy

MS 271 Above serial number
1141 030 2003 Piston Assembly
1141 020 1204 Cylinder & Piston Assy.

Not sure why the dealer cannot get them.

Thanks!

The dealer is primarily a big Kubota dealer; their Stihl stuff is a reasonably-large sideline (they have good stock and sell a lot). Maybe the parts counter guys are just not knowledgeable? They asked the manager and were looking stuff up on the computer for a long time.

What is the serial number cutoff? Did not come through on your post.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom