stock fj40 weight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am curious if anyone knows the weight of a stock fj40 with full hard top. The only additional weight I added would be the 33" tires and the warn winch. Looking for full accurate weight so I can figurre out if I can tow it with an RV.

Ther is no scale around me and the cruiser is in storaage til the weather gets better.

Appreciate any help.

Goebs

FJ40 Specs

I am curious if anyone knows the weight of a stock fj40 with full hard top. The only additional weight I added would be the 33" tires and the warn winch. Looking for full accurate weight so I can figurre out if I can tow it with an RV.

Ther is no scale around me and the cruiser is in storaage til the weather gets better.

Appreciate any help.

Goebs

See FJ40 specs below, per TLC.

FWIW, I don't believe the 3263 pound curb weight. I'm guessing that's the soft top version. IIRC, stock hard top 40's were closer to 3500 pounds.

Model
FJ40
Manufacturer
Toyota/TLC
Years Available
1960-1983
Body Style
2-Door "Jeep" Style
Seating Capacity
Four
Drivetrain
Front Engine, 4x4
Engine
Inline 6 cyl. 3.9 Liter F (1960-74),
4.2 Liter (1975-83)
Fuel System
Carbureted
Horsepower
125 @ 3600 rpm (1960-74),
135 @ 3600 rpm (1975-83)
Torque
209 ft-lbs. @ 2000 rpm (1960-74) ,
210 @ 1800 rpm (1975-83)
Transmission
3-Speed (1960-73);
4-Speed (1974-83)
Wheelbase
90 in.
Length
152.4 in.
Width
65.6 in.
Height
76.8 in.
Track, F/R
55.3/55.1 in.
Towing Capacity
3000 lbs.
Suspension
Semi-Elliptical Leaf Springs
Brakes, F/R
Hydraulic 4 Wheel Drums
Power Front Disc (Nov. 1975-83)
Curb Weight
3263 lbs.
Clearance
8.3 in.
Fuel Capacity
18.5 -> 22 gal.
MPG Estimate
11/16

this helps! thinking 5000 lbs is the max so i might have to find a light weight trailer and go for it.

Appreciate the help.

this helps! thinking 5000 lbs is the max so i might have to find a light weight trailer and go for it.

Appreciate the help.

Please keep us posted on which lite trailer you find...and how much it weighs :beer:

FWIW, I don't believe the 3263 pound curb weight. I'm guessing that's the soft top version. IIRC, stock hard top 40's were closer to 3500 pounds.

Yea, about 3500+winch and tires, at least 3750.

A tow dolly probably weighs almost 1000 lbs. Any trailer capable of towing a 40 is 3000+ lbs.

I'm not sure what "RV" you're talking about that has a 5000 lb towing capacity, but I'm 90% sure it would not be safe to tow a 40 behind it.

Express Custom Tailers, Mfg. - The Island's Number One Place for Custom Jobs

Wonder what the weight of this aluminum trailer is empty?
trailer with jeep RV.jpg
alum trailer.jpg

Been towing my fj40 for years behind motor home. Added brake assist, reg in Calif.
Ist motor home was 32' 1989 Pace Arrow gas, no problem, now 36' Cat, don't even know its their.

Made bracket that held manual trans and transfer case out of gear, now with Auto trans, disconnect rear drive shaft.

I am going to look this week at trailers. Thinking flat towing is scary. Had a problem years ago doing it and all hell broke loose. destroyed the rear end, crushed both sides of the tow rig and spun a 360 on the highway.
Thinking a trailer is the way to go. Just need to see if I can find either a light weight steel with open center or used alluminum. They seem to never pop up for sale. Also need to find some funds for it after the rv purchase. Maybe after I sell the other rv...

Just tried to confirm the tow capacity of the rv. Guessing I will have to wait til it arrives in a week ir so to confirm the tow weight. I guess i can try flat towing but wil need to do some work before i try on the cruiser.

would love to see the bracket that can be made to keep the thing in nuetral and what type of brake assist you are refering to. My cruiser is a stock 75 with drums all around. Not sure if that matters at all?

A tow dolly probably weighs almost 1000 lbs. Any trailer capable of towing a 40 is 3000+ lbs.

By capable, I meant one that I would be capable to afford. The aluminum ones are $5k. :frown: Now that I actually looked, I guess one ton is closer. Whatevah.

Even though it would be heavier, I believe it would be easier and safer to tow it on a trailer. IMO.

I've driven across North America with a heavy trailer... I wouldn't want to flat tow a 40 for any significant distance.

Here is the tow brake system I have used for years without any problems
VIP RV, the vehicle investment protection people
VIP tow brake, It applies brake pressure when you apply brakes in motor home, it is fully adjustable and controlled in the motor home cab, It attaches to the floor in front of driver seat and to brake peddle in fj.

I used it for years with orig four drum brakes but have not tried it yet sense my 60 series front disc conversion. Expect it to be better.

The bracket was (now I have auto so cant use it) nothing more than some flat stock that I bent into a z shape that had two holes drilled in upper part that fit over both sticks in nutural position (had to unscrew both shift nobs) then attached to floor on bottom part of z (had stud up through floor and used wing nut) to hold bracket from moving.

Just adding to this thread for historical purposes and in case anyone else needs a real-world answer. So odd with so many resources to search, could not find one person who had stock FJ40 and had a confirmed curb weight.

I have a 1981 US spec FJ40, all original including hardtop - desmogged and with vintage air AC. No winch, no big bumpers, no big wheels (I have factory wagon wheels 31x10.5R15 Michelin M/S tires) so extras inside. Gas was at 1/4 full (almost empty) and I was not in vehicle when weighed.

Came in at 3,980 lbs.

IMG_7681(1).jpg

We move a lot of tractors and farm equip and found a trailer with 9000# axles is only a couple hundred $ more than the smaller 7000#, they are stouter built, and the electric brakes are a must. A lighter aluminum trailer with higher capacity will be far more useful for distance towing. Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom