Is it supposed to be so rough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My FJ40 rides like Fred Flinstone's car off-road. I have some of the older OME Dakar springs - I think they are pretty stiff. They don't even have the cross-reference model # any longer when I asked them.

My FJ40 did ride really nice one time. I aired down to 20 PSI, had the roof off, and have 5 guys and 3 dead hogs in it. Smooth as butter with that weight and air!

@graham5david I don't understand. What angle should the Shackles have? What makes you believe the Shocks are short? Are you referring to the fronts, or rears or both? Are you saying the Shocks are preventing the Springs from arching?

@pbgbottle What is it about the OME Springs that leads you to that conclusion? You can't see very much of the spring pack in the photos.... it's primarily the shackles
Sorry. Typo. I meant leaf springs. Your shackle need more angle so when the springs are compressed they can swing. If straight all of that force goes straight into the frame. Like below

Screenshot_20230404_150059_Edge.jpg

To the OP @rstoddard

How tight are your shackles? I had seen many of a 4x4 with shackles way too tight … if they are tight it will be a rough ride

How many miles are on the suspension?

Excuse my not seeing it if you already posed that last

To the OP @rstoddard

How tight are your shackles? I had seen many of a 4x4 with shackles way too tight … if they are tight it will be a rough ride

How many miles are on the suspension?

Excuse my not seeing it if you already posed that last info
When I installed my Skyjacker I had to go get nyloc nuts so they could be backed off. The bushing were thicker than stock. Too tight with factory and locked my suspension up like a buckboard~

@graham5david I don't understand. What angle should the Shackles have? What makes you believe the Shocks are short? Are you referring to the fronts, or rears or both? Are you saying the Shocks are preventing the Springs from arching?

@pbgbottle What is it about the OME Springs that leads you to that conclusion? You can't see very much of the spring pack in the photos.... it's primarily the shackle
I don’t need to see the whole spring you can tell by looking at them and the arc or arch built into them. The only a lift spring achieves its desired lift is to beef them up or stiffen them up IE increase load varying capacity. The more lift built into the spring most of the time the more stiff they are. IE ruff ride. How much weight would it take to flatten those things out. ? Stock height Toyota springs are soft they will also flex in both directions because they are soft , softer riding spring. That’s why I always prefer to use the Toyota springs and perform a mild SOA. Retaining the soft riding Toyota springs Just most lift springs in general are stiff or stiffer the higher you go as they need to hold the weight up higher without flattening out under load.
Just sit under your truck and really look at how it all works. Shackles the springs the shocks what happens to o driveshafts under compression etc. Lots o look at and just literally ponder about how things work in relation to how it all cycles up or down in compression and extension. What the axle does does it move far ward does it move backwards. Even axle wrap. Does diff pinion rotate up or down under load. All in all lift springs are just always gonna be a little stiffer. How can they be soft when they can’t even be compress to a flatten state. I don’t know if any of this makes sense but anyways. All I guess I’m really saying is that they always will be stiffer than the stock springs. Cheers.

I'll answer that question having owned OME's, the springs are short which results in the vertical shackle angle in the pic. This results in less wheel travel and suspension movement, resulting in more impact in the seat of your pants. Longer springs result in the shackle being angled away from its mount to the frame, which allows the spring to flex.

For what its worth, I swapped my OME's for Skyjackers up front which resulted in an improved shackle angle and much better ride.
Interesting. These are the Shocks ARB/OME Specs for 1.5" Lift in front and 2.5" Lift in Rear. I don't know what the actual specs are on the Shocks but I have asked ARB for them so I can look into that. I'm surprised ARB would design a Shock (manufactured by Monroe) that is too short for their intended off-road application. That would completely go against their reputation.

I don’t need to see the whole spring you can tell by looking at them and the arc or arch built into them. The only a lift spring achieves its desired lift is to beef them up or stiffen them up IE increase load varying capacity. The more lift built into the spring most of the time the more stiff they are. IE ruff ride. How much weight would it take to flatten those things out. ? Stock height Toyota springs are soft they will also flex in both directions because they are soft , softer riding spring. That’s why I always prefer to use the Toyota springs and perform a mild SOA. Retaining the soft riding Toyota springs Just most lift springs in general are stiff or stiffer the higher you go as they need to hold the weight up higher without flattening out under load.
Just sit under your truck and really look at how it all works. Shackles the springs the shocks what happens to o driveshafts under compression etc. Lots o look at and just literally ponder about how things work in relation to how it all cycles up or down in compression and extension. What the axle does does it move far ward does it move backwards. Even axle wrap. Does diff pinion rotate up or down under load. All in all lift springs are just always gonna be a little stiffer. How can they be soft when they can’t even be compress to a flatten state. I don’t know if any of this makes sense but anyways. All I guess I’m really saying is that they always will be stiffer than the stock springs. Cheers.

Got it! They have to be stiffer to give you the lift. It just may be that they are a little too stiff given that I have virtually no weight in the rear and a soft top. Removing a leaf in the rear might be a viable option. I'm really not interested in doing an SOA as it adds lots of other complications and cost into the mix, plus , I'm not at a stage in my life where I'm looking to make big changes, but I appreciate hearing about all the possibilities, and I appreciate your helping me understand the options and possibilities.

40s are not all rough but it will cost you some money to make it ride good.

Step 1.

Ditch the shackle reversal

Step 2.

Dobinsons IMS

Step 3.

33” tires on proper narrow 5.5-6” wide wheels at 30 psi

Enjoy.
What’s the great advantage of tall narrow tires? Seems like a lot less footprint whether it’s climbing rocks, fighting through mud or maintaining a low center of gravity on a steep mountain train.

What’s the great advantage of tall narrow tires? Seems like a lot less footprint whether it’s climbing rocks, fighting through mud or maintaining a low center of gravity on a steep mountain train.

Steering. Tracking. Sidewalk cushion.

40s don’t do great on the road with wide tires.

From what I have read, it might be best to keep the OME Springs paired with with the ARB/OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks. I’m not sure mixing OME Springs with Bilstein shocks is advisable . The reviews I’ve read indicate OME are a stiff suspension.

It's a total non-issue, we've paired hundreds of OEM setups with Bilstein shocks for lighter weight applications. OME springs with higher end shocks work really well too, we've paired with Dobinson IMS, some Fox options back in the day, etc. All about matching the setup to your load and driving.

OME 13 and 14 leaf springs are very old, but if they are low mile and still have life (as we previously discussed), run em'. I know my tech guys dug into the parts you need to service the clip liners and interleaf liners for you (I had to help them find the 2002 application guide :D), did you end up ordering those parts? New interleaf liners will help compliance as much as anything.

I’m curious, is anybody done a SOA using OME 2.5” springs? I’m wondering what’s the feasibility of taking a couple leaves out to shorten the lift? My stock springs are long gone. My OMEs are broken in.

Yes, my 40 is SOA with OME 'de-tuned' leaf springs with Bilstein shocks. Absolutely love the way it rides/drives.

336499351_1384133642433689_6088127374369680033_n.jpg

They look strait up. They look stock length. Your shocks must be short eye to eye.
Sorry. Typo. I meant leaf springs. Your shackle need more angle so when the springs are compressed they can swing. If straight all of that force goes straight into the frame. Like below

View attachment 3290874

My front spring Shackles (shackles reversed to the rear) are actually angled slightly to the the rear. They aren’t vertical. AFAIK they are properly mounted and the Shackles are the right length.

My rear Shackles are also angled although not as much as yours which appear to be longer.

Got it! They have to be stiffer to give you the lift. It just may be that they are a little too stiff given that I have virtually no weight in the rear and a soft top. Removing a leaf in the rear might be a viable option. I'm really not interested in doing an SOA as it adds lots of other complications and cost into the mix, plus , I'm not at a stage in my life where I'm looking to make big changes, but I appreciate hearing about all the possibilities, and I appreciate your helping me understand the options and possibilities.
That might work. I had done that in the past and as the springs relaxed over the years I ended up adding a leaf back into the spring pack.. It’s worth a try to see if they get softer For sure. It may not drop much in height at all At first.either It may also address your shackle angle as well. If the springs relax a bit. Oh yes light in the rear with only a soft top for sure. , cheers.

It's a total non-issue, we've paired hundreds of OEM setups with Bilstein shocks for lighter weight applications. OME springs with higher end shocks work really well too, we've paired with Dobinson IMS, some Fox options back in the day, etc. All about matching the setup to your load and driving.

OME 13 and 14 leaf springs are very old, but if they are low mile and still have life (as we previously discussed), run em'. I know my tech guys dug into the parts you need to service the clip liners and interleaf liners for you (I had to help them find the 2002 application guide :D), did you end up ordering those parts? New interleaf liners will help compliance as much as anything.

Okay.. appreciate the advice Kurt. So, are you recommending the Bilsteins over the OME Nitrochargers as a worthwhile improvement?

Okay.. appreciate the advice Kurt. So, are you recommending the Bilsteins over the OME Nitrochargers as a worthwhile improvement?

It just depends on the load. For 40's with decent/significant weight on them, the dampening of the OME's are preferred versus a standard 5125 Bilstein. On lighter vehicles, the 5125 is a great shock.

Did you ever replace the inner leaf liners you emailed about? Those could improve ride a fair bit when installed and greased.

It just depends on the load. For 40's with decent/significant weight on them, the dampening of the OME's are preferred versus a standard 5125 Bilstein. On lighter vehicles, the 5125 is a great shock.

Did you ever replace the inner leaf liners you emailed about? Those could improve ride a fair bit when installed and greased.
Not yet. Intend to call and order tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom