LX570 trailhead car theft prevention? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw statistics that LC/LX has one of the highest theft rates (# of thefts divided by the # of LC/LX on the road). I'm sure the story must be different for older models, but I think towing is the easiest way to steal 200 series.

I am going to call BS here sir!

Prove me wrong with some links or stats! :)

Ive thought about this now that the radio is blackout for anything pre 2018 (and all 200s i believe). Gps is still there, but does the theft tracking still work remotely?

Either way, insurance…

Why not just pull the EFI fuse? Not going anywhere, and no thief is going to take to time to troubleshoot why it won't start, let alone then spend time looking for the hidden fuse (if you don't take it with you).

Where are getting this info that LXs are high theft? Every list I have ever seen and the most recent always list the same vehicles (Accord, Civic, Camry, F-150) really the most common and highest volume cars.
That's why I said in the way I did. LC/LX are high theft *rate* in terms of # of LC/LX theft divided by the total # of LC/LX, either globally, nationally or in many regions. If you look at this metric, SUVs and luxury cars have higher rates than smaller sedans despite they are probably a bit more difficult to steal.

What you are referring to is the absolute total number of thefts categorized by the model. There are many more of those cars on the road to begin with, and as a result, the *rate* is not as high. Also, a significant fraction of these thefts happened while the vehicle wasn't locked, or even with the key inside the car (which I would never do... I'm used to turning a metal key... in fact I was initially looking for 100/470 until I realized that most of those on sale in this area were in poor conditions). So, I'm really not thinking about thefts of this kind.

[...] this rarely happens in Maine. Even with the rural locations of most of these spots they are a hiking site and people tend to to come and go so it is risky for thieves.

I hike and have parked my 80 or one of my 200s at various trailheads with no worries. Trailheads are not a focus for folks stealing cars. My worry about my truck at a trailhead is minimal.

Seriously more folks in Maine will help you at a trailhead then steal your car. Car theft is not a common issue in Maine especially in the rural areas where there trailheads typically are.
Thanks for the insight.

I am going to call BS here sir!

Prove me wrong with some links or stats! :)
If you google search, you'll find a lot of Canadian news on theft of Lexus SUVs. By the numbers, RX is most stolen, but Lexus SUVs are equally easy to steal and LX theft is also reported.

(Aichi prefecture is where Toyota factories are.)

If you google you'll find several rather easily, and then go deep search...

If picking the door lock and programming a new fob in 3 minutes is how they steal LX570 these days (referring to the CBC Marketplace video), then a classic Car Club steering wheel lock should make the process considerably harder, so I might just do that. And just go to Maine/New Hampshire/Vermont/Massachusetts.

I park my LC in rural areas for long periods of time and have never had a car theft or even a break in. Often for a week or more at a time. Now, that being said, i would worry much more about someone breaking in than ever stealing my vehicle. Especially when I park anywhere in Seattle or a local trailhead. But actual theft of the car? Never crossed my mind. Modern security systems work against car theft in all realistic scenarios.

If you google search, you'll find a lot of Canadian news on theft of Lexus SUVs. By the numbers, RX is most stolen, but Lexus SUVs are equally easy to steal and LX theft is also reported.

Not hard to understand. Lots of yummy mummies leave the Lexus running with the keys in the cupholder while they run into the coffee shop for their morning espresso . Last week a women left her RR Cullinan running with the keys on the front seat in front of the local gas station. Now, this was in Medina, WA and i don’t think we have ever had a car theft here, but still even I was tempted.

I would advise one of the locks that goes under the gas pedal, rather than a steering wheel club.

I own a 2000 Acura Integra, I really looked into this stuff hahaha.

Perhaps add a dashcam. Apple Airtag.

First, I'll recommend upgrading to a group 31 battery. Then every time you get to the trailhead, remove the group 31 battery and take it hiking with you. It's hard for thieves to start a car without a battery, and the extra weight will make you a hiking boss.

With a slightly more modest amount of seriousness, you could consider adding a battery quick disconnect, or using a "club" or similar device if auto theft is a major concern. The "club" is usually enough to deter a thief without the need for a broken window. Parking in AHC low-mode may help a bit with catalytic converter protection (but meth-heads can be pretty skinny, so your mileage may vary).

I've seen gone in 60 seconds a few times and the 100 series Landcruiser was codenamed "Cathy".

Wonder what the 200 series code name is? I'm guessing something like "Bertha"

Remove a vital fuse from the fusebox is a tried and true method. You can even put a dummy in it's place if you think your thief is also a shadetree mechanic. It's free and will deter anyone who didn't bring their own tow truck.

When leaving my camper unattended anywhere, I wrap a bright orange chain through the wheel spokes and around the axle and secure it with a heavy padlock. It's more of a visual deterrent than anything, but it definitely sends a message. "poor man's Denver boot"

That's a nice story about an organized theft ring in Japan. LXs are targeted there because there is market overseas for stolen LXs. I don't think that market exists for thefts here in America and is completely unrelated to LX theft at trailheads.

If you remove the EFI fuse, and hit the start button, how long will the starter turn the motor? In my 2015 Highlander, pressing the starter button with the EFI fuse out (which I do after oil changes to avoid a momentary oil starvation) results in the starter continuously turning the motor. I have to repress the start button to stop the starter from turning. If it's the same in the LX, I would be hesitant to remove the EFI fuse as a theft deterrent because I would be afraid a thief would leave the starter turning and just leave the vehicle. I'm assuming that would kill the starter and the battery both, which would suck a lot, especially at a remote trailhead. In my 80 Series, I have a hidden kill switch which cuts power to the fuel pump relay. I like that method, though nothing stops a flatbed.

A couple options if you're dead set on "doing something"

1- Verify insurance coverage - your car will never be the same once you get it back from some jackal.

2 - Get a remote start kit and pay for the subscription cell service module option from 12 volt solutions. This will give you tracking data and some information about where/when your car is located with or without you in it.

3 - get a tracking module you connect to the battery/fuse box/etc (Landairsea, etc) and pay for the service.

FWIW, I think all of the above options are overkill given your concern for theft in Maine.

If I was going to steal a car at a remote spot I would get a wrecker and just winch it up on to the deck. No wheel locks, no immobilizer, no glass alarms and a built in "I must have made a mistake, isn't this Arizona?" excuse. Every time I leave the car in a remote spot I wonder if I will see it intact when I get back. I am not obsessing or anything but I make sure that there is nothing irreplaceable left in the car. This is just common sense.

Just checked my insurance coverage online and called them with a bunch of questions.

They told me the same stuff you already know about comprehensive, the coverage is limited to the current value, Lo jack, passive restraints, etc. I'm not interested in saving 5% of the comprehensive premium. I'm trying to reduce the theft or increase the coverage, of course.

They did not have any specific statistics or advice for LX570 or my region.

I'll check off my box of having done all reasonable things for now.

There was no evidence of anyone trying to seal it after a few hours. If anyone tried, they would've had to bring a shovel at a minimum to get the car out of the unmaintained New Hampshire Class VI road before I find them. (I.e. I wish I had a shovel in the car yesterday.)

Mud on the ground under heavy snow on an uphill slope was tough. It was very easy to get all four wheels in mud holes. Dealing with that was more memorable than hiking itself (serious).

IMG_3348-Edit.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom