Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you paint them or is that how they came out after?
What liners are you putting in them?
No. That's how clean this box is (once the red fuzzy stuff and glue is removed). Sort of remined me of skinning a small red haired rodent when scrapping off the goo...

I'll be cutting some Olsa drawer liner, which is what I've used in all the other boxes:
Tool Box Liner

Last edited:
Name that Goo:

20230328_130351.jpg

Sort of looks like tomato skins, mixed in human skin. Yummy....

BumperCollage.png

My very first attempt at using BendTech Pro to design parts, cut them on a Dragon A150, and bend them using a mandrel bender. First try was nearly spot on. I had to adjust the top hoop 1" narrower and that nailed it.
Granted, it was duplicating an existing piece, but I was pretty pleased that I got all the measurements correct and was able to input it all into the software. I had some coaching through the steps, but mostly left to my own devices.

It is not a Toyota but….
A352AF6C-582C-43DE-8EF9-7B015745E029.jpeg

It is from Japan,
26E0A061-AFB3-451F-8D01-6766F13DE862.jpeg

And it is ….
75290A4A-183B-4636-8BC0-19506343CBCE.jpeg

loosing some weight,
B1D3EAFF-E041-4732-AB33-E0CFFEFD41E0.jpeg

and getting something done about his small size syndrome.
70A208D8-8129-4E0A-85A4-292DD8A3E7C1.jpeg

Anybody here interested to follow this?

View attachment 3285122

My very first attempt at using BendTech Pro to design parts, cut them on a Dragon A150, and bend them using a mandrel bender. First try was nearly spot on. I had to adjust the top hoop 1" narrower and that nailed it.
Granted, it was duplicating an existing piece, but I was pretty pleased that I got all the measurements correct and was able to input it all into the software. I had some coaching through the steps, but mostly left to my own devices.

I won't say I'm scared of this thing, but I certainly have a very healthy respect for it!
IMG_6202edit.JPG

Completed the installation of the distribution boxes and down spouts.
Starting from the south side of the house the three scuppers were a good starting point since it was next to the shop.

The first scupper down spout require a slight jog to clear a drain (fire protection).
IMG_7730.jpeg

The second and third were straight forward.
IMG_7733.jpeg

The third downspout worked well with the dumpster rack (javelina proofing) and shared hose saddle.
IMG_7734.jpeg

All three.
IMG_7736.jpeg

Working around the front (west). This scupper drains a different roof section and is taller.
IMG_7745.jpeg

The next box and downspout is located at the main entrance and drains the same section of roof.
IMG_7750.jpeg

The last four are located on the north end and drain two separate roof sections and shed the most water.
The one took a few angles.
IMG_7765.jpeg

All the mounting tabs were broken to allow for any stucco variations. That 17 year old 1800 Ellis saw cuts nice angles.
IMG_7772.jpeg

The crazy downspout.
IMG_7767.jpeg

Overall shot of the last four.
IMG_7776.jpeg

The tabs were caulked along the top and sides followed by paint to match the house. The rest will be left to Mother Nature to provide a natural rust finish. the boxes and downspouts are slightly gapped from the house to prevent rust staining down the walls. That was the reason for bending the tabs, caulking and painting.

Added another smaller shelf above the battery charging shelf I build a month or two ago. This shelf stores all the blending and finishing tools and supplies.
Using smaller 1x1 angle and the same 14ga. perforated sheet.
IMG_7699.jpeg

Prior to welding the frame, I drilled four holes on the left side and plug welded four small duplex headed nails.
IMG_7700.jpeg

4" and 5" grinding wheels, burr files, 3M paint stripping roloc discs, and other 3M roloc consumables. Also stores associated die grinders and miscellaneous drive bits.
IMG_7701.jpeg

Those duplex head secure the wrenches for grinders and die grinders.
IMG_7702.jpeg

Happy Palm Sunday!

Done.

20230403_193629.jpg

7 drawer + Bay lower, 3 drawer upper I got at the estate sale. Took me a couple of weeks to get it all cleaned up, liners cut, plywood 'floor' in the bay, and re-asssembled. Looks good sitting next to the other ultra clean one I got a while back.

Also finished the 2 drawer:

20230403_193708.jpg

It's the one on the top of the 2 drawer stack. You can see the difference in handles, as this one being a 1975, has the recesses handles, whereas the others have the trunk style. I'm hoping to pass along the three trunk handle models to my three grandsons.

I've got 8 lowers, 10 uppers, and 1 'baby box'. There's another 7 drawer + bay lower in my garage, waiting for the weather to get better. It's going to require a lot of sanding/scraping/grinding/priming/painting before it get's to join the rest of the gang. I've already got it's drawers cleaned and liners cut.

Oh, and I'm off on another 'Chasing Classic Craftsman' adventure tomorrow. Not a major roadtrip, but probably about an hour. There's a 3 drawer + bay lower that's calling out to me....

I doubt Sears had a nicer demonstrator lineup at their stores back in the day!

I doubt Sears had a nicer demonstrator lineup at their stores back in the day!
Your right about that, I used to haunt all the local Sears stores (including their Sears Hardware stores). Never saw a huge line up of all the different models. Still hunting for the last two in the series.

Oh boy. I really have a problem:

Toolbox 2.jpg
Toolbox 2a.jpg

Drove over an hour (each way), battling rush hour traffic for this beauty. Like a few of the other boxes I've acquired, this has a few previous owner mods. I'm sure there must have been a good reason to put all that masking tape on the front of the drawers. Just don't know what that could have been. I do know that it'll take me about two hours per drawer to get it all removed without compromising the paint. Probably looking at 6-8 hours of soaking/scrubbing/soaking/scrubbing/etc. per drawer and bay door.

There's also an eye bolt fastened to the case. Another 'mod' of unknown design/engineering benefit. Kind of visable in the first pic, left rear, if you're not staring at the good looking Road Runner the seller had in his garage... Biggest downside, is that someone lost the key, and decided it was faster to drill out the lock cylinder, than take the key code (stamped into the lock cylinder) to a locksmith and have one cut.

It'll be a while before I get around to this one, the wife has decided 'we' should replace all the carpet in the upstairs bedrooms, stairs, and landing, with hardwood. Or course, that also means a new stair rail, etc. And probably a few hundred feet of baseboard and shoe (that this old guy gets to do). I'm not doing the flooring or stairway. Material is too expensive to be scrapping out while trying to learn all the tricks to get it right. I'll leave that to the pros.

Oh boy. I really have a problem:

View attachment 3291113 View attachment 3291114

Drove over an hour (each way), battling rush hour traffic for this beauty. Like a few of the other boxes I've acquired, this has a few previous owner mods. I'm sure there must have been a good reason to put all that masking tape on the front of the drawers. Just don't know what that could have been. I do know that it'll take me about two hours per drawer to get it all removed without compromising the paint. Probably looking at 6-8 hours of soaking/scrubbing/soaking/scrubbing/etc. per drawer and bay door.

There's also an eye bolt fastened to the case. Another 'mod' of unknown design/engineering benefit. Kind of visable in the first pic, left rear, if you're not staring at the good looking Road Runner the seller had in his garage... Biggest downside, is that someone lost the key, and decided it was faster to drill out the lock cylinder, than take the key code (stamped into the lock cylinder) to a locksmith and have one cut.

It'll be a while before I get around to this one, the wife has decided 'we' should replace all the carpet in the upstairs bedrooms, stairs, and landing, with hardwood. Or course, that also means a new stair rail, etc. And probably a few hundred feet of baseboard and shoe (that this old guy gets to do). I'm not doing the flooring or stairway. Material is too expensive to be scrapping out while trying to learn all the tricks to get it right. I'll leave that to the pros.
Whoa hold up. You need to explain and show more photos of that bright green beast sitting behind.

Ha ha, I was thinking the same.

Whoa hold up. You need to explain and show more photos of that bright green beast sitting behind.
Well, it belongs to the guy's son, but he's helping to resto/mod it. Didn't ask permission to take pics. From what I got him to talk about, it's a 360/auto. The engine has 'a few mods'... The body, from what I could see was primo, paint is all new. The engine bay is way nicer than it was originally (I'm old, so I know first hand about old cars when they were new...). They've got a new interior ready to install this year, so it should be tearing up the roads before the end of summer.

Last edited:
Three days. That's what it took me to get all the petrified masking tape off the drawers and bay door.

Before: After (drawers only):

Toolbox 3.jpg
20230412_171220.jpg

They came out remarkably well, considering the layers of tape that were on them.

I found the best method for removal was to use scalding hot water, and flush the tape repeatedly. Take a stiff nylon brush and scrub aggressively to remove as much of the paper as possible. Repeat, repeat, repaeat. Soak with Purple Power, and scrub, scrub, scrub, again. Rinse, pat dry, then use a paper towel with some lacquer thinner to remove any glue residue. The lacquer thinner worked the fastest to remove the baked on glue. I tried Goo Gone, and it worked eventually, but you had to clean it all off with more Purple Power afterwards. The lacquer thinner was pretty much wipe on, wipe off.

Cut new Olsa Tool drawer liners for them, and now it's on to pressure washing the case.

Got the second wall of the shower up last weekend. Started working on the entry deck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom