Did I FUBAR my steering box ?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So…I decided to replace my TRE…ended up hammering pretty hard on stuck relay arm that’s in the pitman arm…..then I thought …oh crap that’s all connected to the steering box. Did I damage my steering box?

The threaded end is still stuck in the pitman arm. I’ve torched it, sprayed anti-seize, and hammered it. Thoughts?

A2F44B1E-0043-4117-A18B-EC25AAC1DF2D.jpeg

Yeah, put a puller on it and put as much pressure as you can. (use a cheater bar if you need to) If it still doesn't come off, smack it with a sledge when you've got maximum puller pressure on it. Keep doing that. It will eventually come off. Use Kroil, if you have any.

Yeah, put a puller on it and put as much pressure as you can. (use a cheater bar if you need to) If it still doesn't come off, smack it with a sledge when you've got maximum puller pressure on it. Keep doing that. It will eventually come off. Use Kroil, if you have any.
Im mostly concerned about damaging the innards of the steering box up stream from when i already hammered with a 2lb sledge

I need a puller that fits better…if that doesn’t work I was gonna cut it off with grinder

Im mostly concerned about damaging the innards of the steering box up stream from when i already hammered with a 2lb sledge

I need a puller that fits better…if that doesn’t work I was gonna cut it off with grinder

If you're concerned about the steering box, pull the pitman arm off the box and then deal with it.

I already wacked on it pretty hard :(

The ones on the 60's seem particularly tough. You're going to have to put a crap TON of pressure on it and smack the crap out of it. You'll have to use a cheater bar to put the max amount of pressure the puller can apply. You might have to get a bigger puller.

Can't really tell from the pic, but has that cross shaft been pulled down? Look on top of the box and see if the there's something amiss with the adjuster bolt/nut... The stuff is pretty robust, but ....

099b2.gif

Can't really tell from the pic, but has that cross shaft been pulled down? Look on top of the box and see if the there's something amiss with the adjuster bolt/nut... The stuff is pretty robust, but ....

099b2.gif
Thanks…I’ll take a look. Is the cross shaft part 81 in pic?

Yes. It's what the Pitman arm slides/bolts onto.

You need a conical puller to get that TRE out. Need to push from the threaded side. Autozone may rent/lend. OTC makes a large and small one. You need the small one

Amazon product ASIN B000I16PA0
Cheap ones on ebay may work

Last edited:
A lot of those tie rod ends will come out after several strong wacks to the side of it with a hammer.

puller makes it soooooo easy, i couldnt hit mine hard enough, puller popped it right off

i use this style got mine at princess auto or harbor freight, can be quite violent when they release
00126_Kugelgelenkausdruecker_klein_ml.jpg

Yes. It's what the Pitman arm slides/bolts onto.

You need a conical puller to get that TRE out. Need to push from the threaded side. Autozone may rent/lend. OTC makes a large and small one. You need the small one

Amazon product ASIN B000I16PA0
Cheap ones on ebay may work

went to AutoZone to get a loaner and it worked! Cheater bar and bam! Sounded like a gun shot …thanks all

Thanks all…first TRE job done. The puller from AutoZone was a must… There was no way I was going to get that tire rod end off with a hammer. It sounded like a gunshot when it finally let loose after I cranked on it with a cheetah bar… Lord bless the PO… He put anti-seize on the tie rod ends, and they came right off without a hitch. Everything buttoned up real nice, and the steering is much tighter now. Fun and not fun all at the same time. good excuse to buy tools I guess 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom