Builds 85 4runner build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can modify the narrow housing, works great.
Ok I think this is the route I'm going. Looks like 4x4wire website is down. I did this back in 2006 on an 88 4runner so it's been awhile. I'll send my 3rd off to get regeared and get on it. Trying to enjoy some top off driving this summer!!

Thanks

Any opinions on limited slip vs lunchbox lockers?
Looking at Grizzly or Truetrac.
Ideally, I'd like selectable but out of the price range right now.
I have a lunchbox in the rear of my FJ40. Hate it ... oops, sorry, HATE it. That truck is outright scary on wet and icy roads. You really need to be careful with the throttle going around turns on pavement.

I have a Truetrac in the front of my 4R, with an ARB in the rear. I like the combination. Most of the time the Truetrac is just enough to get me through, before I hit the ARB. Lately through, I've been considering an ARB in the front, especially since I have it, and a donor high pinion.

Here she is! It's been shuffling around my garage for years. Glad to finally put it to use. Paid $175 at junkyard.

20230331_172018.jpg

I've had Detroits and other lunchbox lockers in the rears of other trucks - won't do that again. They're fine in the front assuming the hubs are selectable. I just put an eLocker (Eaton, not Harrop) in the rear of the '84 and love it. I'm spoiled now. I'll never do anything other than selectable in the rear.

Per @84T4R's question, I have new OME springs, shocks and greaseable shackles. They've got maybe 400 miles on them. They're still stiff. I was thinking the truck would not flex at all off-road. I was kinda shocked (pun not intended) how well the springs worked on the trail. All four corners stuffed - even made contact. Now, I'm not in as much of a hurry to pull leaves from the pack.

How are you liking the OME set up? You said, you got the kit so i'm guessing you're using the upgraded greasable shackles? About to pull the trigger on new springs and going back and forth on stock shackles or upgraded greasable shackles
I like OME setup. I went greasable on mine. After seeing the condition of the old bushings, I figured a pump of grease every now and then is good preventative maintenance. They perform well offroad and are predictable on the road. (I deleted my sway bar) After some break in time and offloading the ride will improve too.

20220730_005207.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom