What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nice! now i have a good idea as to how my 1st gen 4runner seats are gonna look in my 60, thanks. i'd love a set of recaros but i like the 1st gen 4r seats, the price was right, free.95
I was actually looking at other Yota seats to swap in before I stumbled on this set of Recaros, and I just caved and bought them since they ticked the right boxes. They weren’t awful as far as Recaros go, and I’ll be selling off a different pair I’ve had stored for over a decade to cover the cost, so somehow that works out to free in my head 😂

I was actually looking at other Yota seats to swap in before I stumbled on this set of Recaros, and I just caved and bought them since they ticked the right boxes. They weren’t awful as far as Recaros go, and I’ll be selling off a different pair I’ve had stored for over a decade to cover the cost, so somehow that works out to free in my head 😂
the 60 mine are going into will be the third truck i've run them in. i like your math by the way, it's similar to mine

Admittedly it was two weekends, but finally got a few jobs knocked off the to-do list. Arb bumper and winch installed, and new steering linkage w/ rod ends from @cruiseroutfit. Just about ready for Cruise Moab!
A29909EB-3EDB-4213-8061-2F70FFAC534C.jpeg

5E1B9880-51AF-4ECC-873D-980226D5FCBF.jpeg

nice! now i have a good idea as to how my 1st gen 4runner seats are gonna look in my 60, thanks. i'd love a set of recaros but i like the 1st gen 4r seats, the price was right, free.95
How hard are the 1st gen 4Runner seats to swap into a 60?

Prior to shifting over to cruisers I’d run Recaros in pretty much all of my project cars, though usually with bigger bolsters to keep me more planted in the corners. This particular set has shorter thigh bolsters (“A” model bases), which are intended more for trucks and commercial vehicle use and won’t get as beat up climbing in and out. I tried to mount them as low as possible for a bit more headroom.

I have a set of the very 80’s fish net headrests I may recover to match and swap in, too. Besides just liking the appearance, they’d probably also help maintain the cruiser’s good 360 visibility for passengers.

I was actually looking for some mesh headrest recaros originally to use for my truck but months went by with no luck. I really wanted the bride Euroster to work but the shoulders were too wide. Love the recaros!

don't know yet. i'm still thrashin' on other $h!t to get it on the road. a quick lazer eye thrown at it, i don't think it'll be that tough. i do like the way they cradle my carcass n hold me in place, wheelin' or rollin' down the tarmac.

I swapped my firstgen 4Runner seats to the turbo 4Runner seats and they were probably my favorite seats I’ve ever had.

It’s still going to feel stiff because they’re both digressive shocks but the 5100s are a better shock. Try and find a linear or progressive shock if you’re looking for more comfort
interesting, I learned something today. found a good explainer from Penske as well— seems like digressive or regressive would help tame the floaty feel in corners on an early 60 without a rear sway bar and not hamper off-road driving too much

Header, DUI, and fusible links converted to fuses.

4434FE2E-9DDF-4ABB-9D17-C9E201A286B3.jpeg

84A04AA1-25B7-4FDB-B1FC-4E219F18AFA7.jpeg

D212A0A2-0EF4-44BD-94C9-7CEFBC041889.jpeg

I’m not the biggest fan of Cerakote for a header. It’s very fragile, similar to header paint. I think jet hot is a better solution for something that will go off pavement.

Also thinking of getting another wiring harness to clean up, remove unused plugs, and re wrap.

Last edited:
interesting, I learned something today. found a good explainer from Penske as well— seems like digressive or regressive would help tame the floaty feel in corners on an early 60 without a rear sway bar and not hamper off-road driving too much
Yeah they use digressive shocks on track cars to control body roll better. It’s at the expense of comfort though. Linear shocks would be more comfortable at the expense of body roll haha

I was actually looking for some mesh headrest recaros originally to use for my truck but months went by with no luck. I really wanted the bride Euroster to work but the shoulders were too wide. Love the recaros!

I swapped my firstgen 4Runner seats to the turbo 4Runner seats and they were probably my favorite seats I’ve ever had.
just curious, how were the turbo 4r seats different from the 1st gen runner seats? mine are out of an '87 4r. they physically look the same as the ones that were in my '85 xtracab, but have a ton of adjustments possible. lumbar, side bolsters, length of seat to support the knees. plus of course your run of the mill stuff. of all the factory seats my @$$ has been parked in, these are my favorite

just curious, how were the turbo 4r seats different from the 1st gen runner seats? mine are out of an '87 4r. they physically look the same as the ones that were in my '85 xtracab, but have a ton of adjustments possible. lumbar, side bolsters, length of seat to support the knees. plus of course your run of the mill stuff. of all the factory seats my @$$ has been parked in, these are my favorite

Sounds like you have the SR5 seats which are freaking great too, the turbo seats are very similar but have a little more padding and bolstering and are softer.

SR5 seats in my old 4runner
sfN9TQ5h.jpg

Turbo seats
c5mk4sXh.jpg

Split case/4l60e crossmember almost done. The ends just need to be angle capped and it needs paint. Left the lower flat area extra wide to be able to pass exhaust through it next to the trans

Definitely should have cleaned the mill scale on these a bit better before welding. I think next time im going to buy pickled steel to avoid the mill scale

bXHnGXGl.jpg

JXRCgBTl.jpg

Do you still have that 4runner? Been digging these lately, and the old trucks with the 22RE
Man that is the one that got away sadly. It was a 1987 4runner. That was my favorite vehicle I ever owned. I sold it to get an 80 series and hated the 80 series interior haha.

That truck had a brand new toyota long block 22re with rebuilt heads 35s and 5.29 gears and would do 75-80mph on the highway in 5th gear. It had a brand new HP front Elocker from a fj80 and a rebuilt FJcruiser rear elocker. RCV axles front and rear. Brand new Marlin Crawler HD w56 6speed trans and dual competition MC08 transfer case with 2.28 and 4.7 gears. New carpet, new dash, turbo seats, and i even converted the manual crank windows and locks to the last year firstgen 4runner automatic windows and locks with the nicer updated door cards. It was mint! The white paint was original too. Im super sad i sold it haha

When i bought my 1987 fj60 I was originally looking for a white 1987 4runner to replace it with but my wife wanted back doors and more room so i got the 60. If you have the opportunity to get a clean one definitely snag it. Try and find one with good interior and little rust because driveline is way way easier to replace than interior and rust. I had to drive from TN to VA to get my turbo interior

xBHmat1l.jpg

wyU0yBVl.jpg

9Gxqrm9l.jpg

AqZqa8pl.jpg

2AdX40Ul.jpg

Installed new steering stabilizer. Old one was shot! And had to cut it off😂
531F9A77-9B04-41FE-B743-933F2B059AF0.jpeg
84877CE4-B8A9-45CB-82D2-78F8C417695B.jpeg

Man that is the one that got away sadly. It was a 1987 4runner. That was my favorite vehicle I ever owned. I sold it to get an 80 series and hated the 80 series interior haha.

That truck had a brand new toyota long block 22re with rebuilt heads 35s and 5.29 gears and would do 75-80mph on the highway in 5th gear. It had a brand new HP front Elocker from a fj80 and a rebuilt FJcruiser rear elocker. RCV axles front and rear. Brand new Marlin Crawler HD w56 6speed trans and dual competition MC08 transfer case with 2.28 and 4.7 gears. New carpet, new dash, turbo seats, and i even converted the manual crank windows and locks to the last year firstgen 4runner automatic windows and locks with the nicer updated door cards. It was mint! The white paint was original too. Im super sad i sold it haha

When i bought my 1987 fj60 I was originally looking for a white 1987 4runner to replace it with but my wife wanted back doors and more room so i got the 60. If you have the opportunity to get a clean one definitely snag it. Try and find one with good interior and little rust because driveline is way way easier to replace than interior and rust. I had to drive from TN to VA to get my turbo interior

xBHmat1l.jpg

wyU0yBVl.jpg

9Gxqrm9l.jpg

AqZqa8pl.jpg

2AdX40Ul.jpg
Man, that Runner is rad!!

xBHmat1l.jpg

wyU0yBVl.jpg

9Gxqrm9l.jpg

AqZqa8pl.jpg

2AdX40Ul.jpg
Oh wow, you wouldn't have been able to pry that from my cold, dead hands. Shame you had to sell it.

If we get more space eventually I'll start to look. I'm between these and a similar year Hilux if I can find one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom