80 series 'ute chops' popular here in Oz but what about the USA etc.? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are heaps of 80 series 'ute chop' conversions, even some 80 series 6-wheel conversions, but ute chops are quite common here. I think part of it is to address the rusting issues that the back of 80 series bodies typically get over their lifetime, and partly just to make 80's more 'rural practical' as a simple 'carry stuff' platform.

How common is 'ute chopping' in the US? Had anyone done 6-wheel conversion on a LX450 80 series in the US? I've seen a handful of those here over the years where an 80 is both 'ute chopped' and extended to add an extra rear axle.

Curious as both seem to be very 'aussie' things to do.

They're popular in NZ too. I'm not a fan, but see why people would do it from a functionality point of view. The trays always look a bit out of place.

Here's a few for sale here:

Chops aren't my thing, but a style side chopped 60 done right looks amazing. 80s are easily available over here and they're a great option after destroying the rear end in a wheeling mishap.

They weren't a utility vehicle here in the U.S. like they were in Australia. They were mostly used by soccer mom's. Heck, we didn't even get the manual version here in the U.S. All we got was the petrol and automatic. I'm actually surprised they even gave us the triple-locking version. Now that they have trickled down to the off-roading/overlanding community, they have gotten so valuable in their original condition, that most people don't want to kill the value by doing a ute chop. (my opinion, anyway) Also, we don't have near the aftermarket support for these, as you guys do down under.

They weren't a utility vehicle here in the U.S. like they were in Australia. They were mostly used by soccer mom's. Heck, we didn't even get the manual version here in the U.S. All we got was the petrol and automatic. I'm actually surprised they even gave us the triple-locking version. Now that they have trickled down to the off-roading/overlanding community, they have gotten so valuable in their original condition, that most people don't want to kill the value by doing a ute chop. (my opinion, anyway) Also, we don't have near the aftermarket support for these, as you guys do down under.

Add to this the large number of 4x4 pick up options in the USA, there's no reason to chop an 80 to make a ute, except for the coolness factor

Here's one

20230325_161502.jpg

I've seen a few that were very nicely done. I certainly wouldn't mind having one if they had offered manuals here, and they were plentiful. I can see wanting to do a ute chop to obtain a truck that's potentially tougher or more capable than the actual truck models offered.

What a great way to ruin a good 80. Cheerio !

I think most 80's getting chopped aren't necessarily "good" 80's.

Add to this the large number of 4x4 pick up options in the USA, there's no reason to chop an 80 to make a ute, except for the coolness factor

Yeah we have trucks for days, and really good ones too. No need to chop.

The first one I ever saw was in Germany (of all places) in the early '90s. It was street legal: a slick two door 80 series (someone chopped the second row seats and doors completely). I've wanted one ever since.

We've only just started getting Ram's and Silverado's over here, seeing them everywhere now. The only decent choice before them was a 79 series or downsizing to midsize utes like the Hilux or Ranger.

We just got the Ranger back over here. Unfortunately, no manual, and no diesel option here. What a crock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom