Onboard air compressor recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pics of how you have that set up? Certainly seems like a good option!
Here is my set up

13E0F128-A5C3-4253-9B69-BB0E5929FC33.jpeg

8B31AA1C-4B35-4598-96D3-8D18E32FCE85.jpeg

The Gage you see to the left in the pic is a distribution box with multiple connections for air intake, control switch, guage, rear air line and other options.

Also in the compressor pic, there's a coalescing filter to catch oil.
It has a quick release to remove and drain it.
I have run this set up on all my offraod rigs for 30 yrs, all ways worked with out failure!!!

There is one other option to all of these.
U can convert your A/C compressor, if you don't care about having A/C.
Just buy a Oil drip system, (very inexpensive) to lube the compressor in action.
Plumb the lines and voila

I fit the Smittybilt 2781 here. Very high volume compressor, I'm quite happy with it. I just use the hose that came with it and usually finish just as quick if not quicker that the guys with their 4-tire hose setups.

IMG_0881.jpeg

The Gage you see to the left in the pic is a distribution box with multiple connections for air intake, control switch, guage, rear air line and other options.
Unfortunately I am not sure there is room for that type of compressor on a 2UZ or 1UR vehicle. But a sweet setup!

If anyone's interested in an inexpensive all wheel inflation system I built mine very cheap and easy.
I used push-to-connect fittings which are very cheap with 1/4" air line. The one thing NOT to go cheap on are the air chucks. Get the Haltec H-5265 Standard Bore Lock-On Air Chucks, you will never regret it. Note: use a short (2 foot?) air line from the compressor to your first fittings. Compressors get real hot when running for a long time and you'll blow the 1/4" line out of the push-to-connect fitting. The hose won't blow but the hose will get soft enough to blow out.
This will show the entire list of components and assembly.
Starting at post no. 377: Builds - R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/r-m-2013-gx-460-overland-build.1104719/page-19
The one thing I've changed, the deflation device is not very accurate AND since it's metering out the air so it stops at a preset pressure, the CFM of air output is slow. I use the OBDII app that has each tire pressure, so while I'm sitting in the comfort of my vehicle, I can be monitoring the pressure, either deflating or inflating. With the push-to-connect fitting, I can on the fly modify my air lines to what ever I need. Example: if I need just one line, or just the front and/or rear tires, remove the deflator and the regulator, all I gotta do is just push to release any of the connections.
Easy-peasy!

I've also heard that inflating all your tires at once (aside from them all having exactly the same air pressure) allow the compressor to work more efficiently. From how I understand it, most (good) compressors put out more CFM than one tire can take so it kind of backs up the compressor, but with multiple tires inflating, ALL the air the compressor is blowing gets used.
I know I can now fill all my 35" tires from a low of 12 psi to 35 psi in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:
My Two cents worth.
I run a York belt driven compressor with a small 5 gallon tank in the rear.
I regularly run with guys that have all the other compressors listed here and mine is by far the best at speed, NO NOISE!!
I turn it on a little before I stop, n I am ready when I stop to get er done.
I am finished with my 4th tire when they are starting their 3rd.
What psi does your 5 gal tank hole?
I've considered getting a pancake tank to stick where the factory spare used to be. Something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B072J3GPXX

This second option you listed makes it easy to do it all in one spot.
(This is an all-in-one take and compressor that fits in your spare location!)

Just noticed your side exit exhaust. Twice already I've pushed the rear exit exhaust tip into the rear axle and pinched off the tubing going through rock gardens. The first time cost me over $300 at the dealer for the resonator/tail pipe assembly, and that was haggling over the price and putting it in myself. The second time, I just had a muffler guy weld a side exit straight to the muffler, exiting just before the rear wheel.
Looks like you did the resonator delete also. How's the sound to you? I hear my exhaust just a wee bit more and not sure if I like it or not.
Can you take a photo of how your exhaust exits on your passenger side?

I forgot to mention about the 4 tire inflation system I built. Using the smaller 1/4" tubing instead of the typical air line tubing makes the coiled up package waaaayy more stow-able. Aside from the push-to-connect ability, just having a much O.D. hose for storage was a biggie.
If you think about it, you don't need all that thick air line tubing rated for 150+ psi. You're pushing, maybe, 80 psi and your tires probably max out at 40-45 psi, depending upon what you're riding on.

I bought the high output single cylinder arb in a tool box from Marlin Crawler and my plan is to get a dual for hardmounting as I am impatient and my knees and back are about shot.

So if I was airing down more frequently I would have already done that upgrade

Forgot to add I am rolling on 33x10.5R17 Pizza Cutters.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2m
another alternate option.... don't laugh too hard!

I have 2x $90 VIAIR 88P compressors available from the Amazon.
Each one has a T on the output with a tiny ball valve on one of the outlets, so the pump can inflate two tires at once, or just one.
The valves are the kind that are free flowing, they don't seal if its not connected.

The other thing I do...again no too much laughing...if I know I am going off-road and likely to air down....I pump up my swing out mounted spare tire to its limit ... 85 PSI at home before I leave using my shop compressor. It acts like an air tank.

Here's how I use all this:
Air down...
Have fun...
Back to the pavement... pull over, take out both compressors (stored in my lift gate hatch).
Hook up one compressor to both front tires at the same time and set it going.
Take the second compressor and hook up one outlet to one of the rear tires (at ~18 PSI, what ever) and the other end to the spare tire (initially at 85 PSI). Open the ball valve and let the pressure balance such that the spare and the rear tire end up some where around 40-something PSI.
Then I connect the second compressor to power and both rear tires and let them re-balance again and pump up a little more with the pump. (All the while the front pump is inflating both fronts).

These seems to be the quickest/cheapest option, with some built in redundancy even.

The rational to the two pumps includes the fact that the pump inflates faster when the tire is at lower pressure....it can move more air per cycle....so might as well pump up two tires at once.
And of course 2 cheap pumps is still cheaper than one ARB...and if you look at the specs...(and believe them)...I'm getting just as much CFMs for half the moola. But, those CFM specs are pretty sus to begin with!?
Using the spare as an air tank to get a head start on the rears is just to save time...and possible since I have an air hose with two connectors on it with a valve between them.

OK, NOW you can giggle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom