What size rivets to use for windshield molding? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my windshield replaced recently and noticed that the truck had the rivets removed at some point and replaced with a couple of screws. I'm thinking I'll pick up a cheap rivet gun and rivets and replace them before I replace the molding on top. Does anyone know what size to pick up and if there's special considerations, or just affix the rivets and pop the molding in?

Thanks!

Impossible for us to know what size screws were used, the original rivets may now be too small. If you’re concerned I’d remove the screws and put a dab of weatherstrip adhesive on them and reinstall.

Here are my notes on this task... About to get mine replaced

1998-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser Windshield 56111-60292-8N | AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway - https://parts.autonationtoyotagulffreeway.com/oem-parts/toyota-glass-windshield-56111602928n

Trim parts: Windshield trim - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/windshield-trim.904465/page-2

75543-60020 side molding (x2)
75531-60030 top molding
75534-60050 garnish
75533-60060 garnish
90269-04053 rivet (x8)

Thank you for the helpful summary! It's a shame too many window replacement shops mess up this job 😭

Here are my notes on this task... About to get mine replaced

1998-2007 Toyota Land Cruiser Windshield 56111-60292-8N | AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway - https://parts.autonationtoyotagulffreeway.com/oem-parts/toyota-glass-windshield-56111602928n

Trim parts: Windshield trim - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/windshield-trim.904465/page-2

75543-60020 side molding (x2)
75531-60030 top molding
75534-60050 garnish
75533-60060 garnish
90269-04053 rivet (x8)
Really helpful- thanks!

Do you have a picture of the garnish? I don't believe my truck ever had it in place. I was with the windshield guys, and they only removed the side/top molding. The rivets were removed and replaced with four screws a long time ago too.

When I had mine replaced screws had been used. The windshield shop, which was the best around, broke the windshield trying to use bidder rivets on the trim pieces. They reordered the windshield and used screws the second time around along with windshield adhesive. No leaks or wind noise almost two years later. The biggest issue is just to make sure that there's no rust and take care of it if there is.

Special rivets but are available aftermarket too. Might need a low profile rivet tool to install. I believe Toyota has different sized rivets but I have not looked into it.

H35048-637975409844810000.jpg

Really helpful- thanks!

Do you have a picture of the garnish? I don't believe my truck ever had it in place. I was with the windshield guys, and they only removed the side/top molding. The rivets were removed and replaced with four screws a long time ago too.
You are welcome. Garnish must be there, which is what riveted to body as far as I understand. Pic from ebay
s-l1600.jpg

Ya that list covers what you need. I orded the same parts after consulting the drawing.

Hopefully this fixes my wind noise. But I'm scared to find out what's under the trim pieces.
20220103_152153.jpg

20220103_152211.jpg

I've done two windshields jobs in the past two years- one for a friend that had a lot of rust. For his, I used the rivets, with a piece of cardboard against the windshield for protection. Being an amateur riveter, it was a PITA, but I got it done.

Last week, for my rig I did something a little different. Backstory, I acquired my 99 back in 2004. It had a replacement windshield that for all intents was a good install. This 20 year old windshield finally cracked, and when I removed all trim pieces I was surprised to see they used plastic body fasteners (ribbed version) to secure the side trim. The trim was very secure and the windshield frame had no rust.

So, I set off on finding a close replacement for the fasteners (ordered some from Toyota that weren't a match). ACE hardware was the source of what finally worked. I trimmed the edges of the circular top on the fasteners so they would fit flush in the channel. I'm happy with the result and trim is tight.

Also, order your trim pieces from Partsouq if you want to save a bit. $77 versus $189 for a single side piece. Order some more stuff from Partsouq to further defray the $60 shipping. Five day delivery. I ordered the two pricey outer channels, two inner trim strips that cover the fasteners and the top trim rubber strip, so 5 pieces total for the job. Cheers.

IMG_2302 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom