Possible to soften/dampen the lower tailgate when opening? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brother has a 100 series, and a few months ago we installed a Huracan Fabrication tailgate storage system. It's great, and it gets a lot of use. We were camping this past weekend and I noticed the tailgate really comes down with a lot of force if anything heavy has been loaded in. Even with just some tow straps and some other random (not particularly heavy) gear it comes down with a lot of force. We both have small kids and I'd like to find some way to dampen it when opening, to prevent injury to kids.

Maybe something like this:
Soft open lower tailgate for LC - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/soft-open-lower-tailgate-for-lc.1015522/

Thanks,
Tighe

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing, appreciate it. Looks like a pretty significant project :/

Following this... I've had my Huracan Fabrication Tailgate Storage sitting in my garage waiting to be installed for this very reason. I'm hesitant because I'm not sure I want that heavy tailgate.... I could see it taking my 5-year old out.

@Tighe do you mind posting a video of the tailgate dropping? (Same curiosity as @Bsherv87

@Tighe do you mind posting a video of the tailgate dropping? (Same curiosity as @Bsherv87
Sure, I'll request it from my brother. My LX570 has the soft close tailgate so I'm living large. But I actually gave him the Huracan tailgate as a gift, so it's my fault his tailgate is now so heavy! I'll request and will update.

Thanks to all for the replies. I DID search for this topic before posting (albeit from my phone), so apologies for creating a new thread on an old topic...

You could prob make this work with some creative mounting.

Thanks. That's quite a thump.

Remind him not to leave anything on the bumper before opening the gate. It leaves a nice love bump without that weight...imagine what it does with it!

Thanks. That's quite a thump.

Remind him not to leave anything on the bumper before opening the gate. It leaves a nice love bump without that weight...imagine what it does with it!

I have a nice crease in the tailgate from a fishing pole left on the bumper.

I have a nice crease in the tailgate from a fishing pole left on the bumper.

I know that pain. Left something as simple as an EDC (yes, black of course), that decided to tattoo the gate. Luckily with the panel removed it's uber easy for any good PDR to pop it out (if you're as OCD as me, ha).

@ Outsane
In case you‘re still interested: I‘m in Cupertino and could give you the. Don‘t have a storage installed yet, but I guess we can figure out a way to make it heavy ;)

Drop me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom