8x Series V8 Swaps (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree not sure you need the cost, complexity or aggravation with that. I don’t see any reason to not go with gen 3 motors honestly. You can get them so cheap and parts are so cheap, drive by cable it’s just too easy. I personally don’t see the need to over complicate an off road vehicle or adventure vehicle. But I know everyone has a different view. I’m very happy with my gen 3. Parts are practically free on Fb marketplace.

This is my stopping point before leaving the country for a few next weekend. Still need power wire from starter to battery, all wires inside cab (ignition, fuel, t-case . . )

P1010608.JPG
P1010611.JPG

P1010614.JPG

I like the 6.0 in my 2500 HD, would be nice if something similar was under the hood of my FJ60 or whatever project came along....6.6 puts out some impressive numbers for a stock engine. Amazing how the "new" generation of V-8's make good torque and HP numbers, in comparison of a few decades ago. Maybe someone knows...but don't the 6.6 engines run a mechanical fan clutch for cooling? 5.3 is a great option too.

The words "game changer" keep dancing in my head, on the V8-swaps.

@cruisermatt a little help here
You joke but I get PM’s like this…” can you tell me exactly how to do my entire swap ?thx” and then tell me they bought other motor mounts, sensor adapters from Australia, :rolleyes:

You joke but I get PM’s like this…” can you tell me exactly how to do my entire swap ?thx” and then tell me they bought other motor mounts, sensor adapters from Australia, :rolleyes:
I swapped those covers around and laid it where a Gen 3 savy buddy would see it them. He was 😵‍💫 for a sec.

I’m doing a K5. Harness all routed and loomed just throwing the ECU pins on now
D21C4B31-DC5B-4B86-97AD-1AA2D2186F11.jpeg
C1F7825E-8C8C-4C1B-A758-3F7B1E1EF2B6.jpeg

Can anyone shed a little light on this. Working on extending the wires for the oil pressure sender. I see the noise filter that connects to the spade on the oil pressure switch and white wire to the round knob. Question is, did you use the noise filter still in your swap, and did you need a ground for the oil level switch Y-R wire or did it ground when low? Thanks!

6149E73B-E4EC-45A2-B1C0-05CC2667B5E0.jpeg

7F72DD61-73F6-44F7-B06A-FA944A6C9BAC.jpeg

White Sheep, could you talk about your air box set up, looks real nice. Is that custom?
It's a Radius Airbox out of Australia.

I also have the matching snorkel (it's not required).

A guy here on MUD is selling the same snorkel for a pretty good price:

Radius Fabrications 80 Series Stainless Snorkel For Sale - Oklahoma City: Radius Fabrications 80 Series Stainless Snorkel - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oklahoma-city-radius-fabrications-80-series-stainless-snorkel.1297293/

Got my trail blazer shift cable in. Went to a junk yard today and pulled the shifter from an Envoy out for a few pieces. I’ll use a dremel and cut out the metal stud to clip on the shift cable. I’ll weld it into place in the Toyota shifter. I couldn’t find an off the shelf cable barb. Also I figure I’ll cut off the plastic forward portion to lock in the cable and then route it around the other side.

2FC2A007-B5D2-4151-9509-F369BF9271BE.jpeg

5D7ACEAD-1114-4C3A-93DC-2E0149943A1A.jpeg

F75FBC8A-F1C7-411C-A82C-FD622E478695.jpeg

One thing I need to figure out is where to mount my Dakota digital Transmission gear indication potentiometer. It shows it’s capable of being exterior on the trans, but I’m not sure how weather proof it is. Might be fine for a Sunday cruiser. I’d like to mount it in the cab off the shifter some how. Just haven’t figured it out. Any ideas would be great.

Got my trail blazer shift cable in. Went to a junk yard today and pulled the shifter from an Envoy out for a few pieces. I’ll use a dremel and cut out the metal stud to clip on the shift cable. I’ll weld it into place in the Toyota shifter. I couldn’t find an off the shelf cable barb. Also I figure I’ll cut off the plastic forward portion to lock in the cable and then route it around the other side.

View attachment 3279495

View attachment 3279496

View attachment 3279497
I know many have had great luck w/ this, I had the worst luck w/ this set up. It was sloppy for me. The shifter cable popped off a few times at the shifter. Finally had enough and went w/ a B&M gate shifter.

Last edited:
I know many have had great luck w/ this, I had the worst luck w/ this set up. It was sloppy for me. The shifter cable popped off a few times at the shifter. Finally had enough and went w/ a B&M gate shifter.
That’s odd. Mine is crisp and the indicator lines up perfect to the positions perfectly. Haven’t touched it since the swap over 80k miles ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom