factory map light and factory fog light question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 73 is back on the road and running great, so of course I've got to find something else to work on. As if the 1973 model doesn't have enough "one-off" items to deal with, I'd like to try and find one of the factory map lights. I've never personally seen one, and from what I have read online they are SUPER rare, but I think it would be a cool addition. I'm assuming the light fits in the larger round hole and a switch just like my factory dome light switch fits in the smaller hole? There is a factory wire with a female bullet connector hanging out in the glove box....I'm guessing it supplies power to the switch?

20221213_061146-jpg.3192631

My second question is in regards to factory fog/driving lights. These don't seem to be as difficult to find. In fact, my local Toyota dealership shows 20+ in inventory around the country...although they are over $100 each. My question is how were they wired if installed by the factory/dealership? Is there a harness available? What switch was used and is that still available or remade? I think fog lights look cool, but I only want to install a pair if they look factory.....from the lights to the switch.

1679426928351.png

Coolerman has the fog light wiring harness.

City Racer also sells a complete set with the harness and switch.

@gmr76 @tahoe40/45 Thanks for the quick info! I guess I missed that stuff on the City Racer website. I bought his hose clamps and am super happy with the quality.

So now.....how do I find the base/socket? Am I right to assume that the switch would have been identical to my factory dome light switch? Do you know if that wire that's sitting it the glove box with the factory female end is meant for the map light?

Some had the holes to the right of the glovebox with plugs. FST model had the light and switch.
From an original owners manual I purchased new shortly after buying my 73 FST in 1994.
PXL_20230321_225806641.jpg
PXL_20230321_225913079.jpg
PXL_20230321_225509719.jpg

Funny refers to FST as canvas-top. I have factory literature from 1965 that shows part number for the replacement cover for the soft top and states it vinyl.

Last edited:
@gmr76 @tahoe40/45 Thanks for the quick info! I guess I missed that stuff on the City Racer website. I bought his hose clamps and am super happy with the quality.

So now.....how do I find the base/socket? Am I right to assume that the switch would have been identical to my factory dome light switch? Do you know if that wire that's sitting it the glove box with the factory female end is meant for the map light?
You can try a want ad for the base/socket, won't be an easy find but possible. You can get a switch here if you dont have one.

Last edited:
The light cover from City Racer looks great, but I'm wondering what I can use as a socket? Does it require a factory original socket or is there a common style that will work with it? From what I've seen, the factory socket has that "ring" around the base where the cover attaches. I'm not sure I've seen another style of light quite like that, but maybe someone knows of another type of socket that will work???

1679496339316.png

Maybe an Indian Motorcycle Dash Light?

@Green Bean Thanks for that link. That light looks alot like the dash light in my 1931 Ford. Same style slide switch. I just wonder if it would work with the cover from City Racer? I want it to look factory so I need to use the City Racer cover, but if a different type/style of bulb/socket will work that would be fine because it won't be seen. I will pony up for the correct switch, but honestly I'm probably going to throw an LED bulb in it so I'm not going for 1000% OEM correct.

I’m considering selling a pair.😉 Leave me a voicemail and I’ll call you back tomorrow. Heading out to visit a friend now.

Because the switch is built into that motorcycle light it is not going to look OEM even with the reproduced cover fits, which I doubt. Believe the hole in the dash may be too large for that light. It will also stand to far off the dash.
72-74 Toyota standardized a few more things. Around 1965 Toyota standardized hard top and soft top models being able to run either type. mainly the footman loops on the back corners of the tub. The dash for the light was another but might not be on 74s since the B pillar soft bow shared the same light as the hard top and no longer on the dash. Dash light even though not correct probably cheaper that adding options available on both hard top and soft top models. Which are the correct headrests and PTO winch.

This my 68 with my 73 bows and doors plus a new Kayline top I bought while still in business.
001029.jpg

Same 68 with a 69 bows and doors plus a used Kayline top.
001011.jpg

Only thing not there to install the complete soft top is the safety straps eyebolt threaded holes are not in the ends of the dash. Why Toyota decided to add the dash light holes to all models when they did who knows they just did.

For reference here is a complete dash light.
PXL_20230322_212224794.jpg
PXL_20230322_212058625.jpg

@Green Bean Thanks for that link. That light looks alot like the dash light in my 1931 Ford. Same style slide switch. I just wonder if it would work with the cover from City Racer? I want it to look factory so I need to use the City Racer cover, but if a different type/style of bulb/socket will work that would be fine because it won't be seen. I will pony up for the correct switch, but honestly I'm probably going to throw an LED bulb in it so I'm not going for 1000% OEM correct.
Indian motorcycle light base won't work with the City Racer hood.

If you find a light socket that's approximately the right size for the dash hole, a 3D printed adapter could match up to the City Racer vader light cover. I'd be all over this if I needed one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom