Rear winch power line routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've decided to carry a rear hitch-mounted winch with me on trips into areas with deep mud. The idea is to get something light that I can pop in and out of the hitch and use with a pulley system to reduce the load capacity required of it.

Question is, what's the best way to get big amperage back there? I'm thinking a 4/0 line running through a metal pipe along the frame. But I'm also not sure if having a length of pipe would allow other components to flex properly.

Anyone done this or have any thoughts?

Plenty of 3/0 lines have been run in flex conduit and tied to the frame along the way. I doubt you’d need an actual pipe to protect it. Split loom each wire to protect for chafe and tie up along the frame.

4/0 seems way overkill. I would be more worried about supplied voltage that far from the source as opposed to flexibility. A rear mounted battery pops into my mind.

Another battery a no-go due to my space requirements. So I just want a beefy line to reduce voltage drop from front to rear. Flex conduit could work. I'm just more worried about the implications of a short under winch-level amp loads.

Would definitely need heavy gauge wire to run that distance. Perhaps terminated to a monster Anderson plug.

Perhaps another opportunity... It's not unheard of to pull a winch line underneath and back. It'll work so long as there's routing that would avoid working over sharp corners. This would reduce pull power to a degree depending on the angles.

I've toyed with the idea to have another fairlead port on my winch that would exit downwards, allowing for cleaner routing and less drag. Perhaps a downward facing roller fairlead even.

1679336421756.png

@TeCKis300 That's what I had been thinking about at one point, but after getting seriously stuck last weekend in the mud, into which the vehicle sunk a lot on its own before I worsened the problem by spinning my wheels, I realized that under-frame routing can be really hard. And mud gets everywhere and can ruin everything, so I learned I need to re-vamp of lot of my recovery strategies to increase cleanliness before, during, and after the recovery. That's going to include not having to reach under the vehicle if I can avoid that.

@TeCKis300 That's what I had been thinking about at one point, but after getting seriously stuck last weekend in the mud, into which the vehicle sunk a lot on its own before I worsened the problem by spinning my wheels, I realized that under-frame routing can be really hard. And mud gets everywhere and can ruin everything, so I learned I need to re-vamp of lot of my recovery strategies to increase cleanliness before, during, and after the recovery. That's going to include not having to reach under the vehicle if I can avoid that.
The best thing I have found to solve all of these issues is have a teenage son. When you get stuck, deploy the kid.

I run a rear winch on my 80 (it actually just saved my butt on a solo camping/wheeling trip this past weekend). I ran 2/0 from a single front battery, but definitely overkill. Put something like this right off the battery connection so you don't have a live, large gauge wire running under the truck during normal circumstances.

Amazon product ASIN B00445KFZ2
Rear winch in action. I was 2+ hours from help too. Great if you do a lot of solo trips.

52759265328_ae5ce34c0c_c.jpg

52758779511_51a7be7f67_c.jpg

I run a rear winch on my 80 (it actually just saved my butt on a solo camping/wheeling trip this past weekend). I ran 2/0 from a single front battery, but definitely overkill. Put something like this right off the battery connection so you don't have a live, large gauge wire running under the truck during normal circumstances.

Rear winch in action. I was 2+ hours from help too. Great if you do a lot of solo trips.

That's what I'm thinking for myself.

How'd you run the line to the back?

If you are using a hitch mounted winch that will be removed, consider a removable wire set that's stored with it. Use an Anderson connector under the hood and run the wires over the roof rack, in the few situations that you use the rear winch. This setup can also be ported to a friends vehicle with ease.

That's an interesting idea.

Finding myself in a similar situation earlier this winter, I've begun to carry a ground anchor to avoid shoveling.

That's what I'm thinking for myself.

How'd you run the line to the back?

Just above the frame rails, in a sleeve. It is going on 10+ years and has been ok. There are probably better ways to run one. You could get a 4/0 to run inside under the door sills, then into the rear quarter panel area.

If you are using a hitch mounted winch that will be removed, consider a removable wire set that's stored with it. Use an Anderson connector under the hood and run the wires over the roof rack, in the few situations that you use the rear winch. This setup can also be ported to a friends vehicle with ease.

I really like this idea. Especially if it is a removable, tow hitch mounted winch. Just use some Anderson powerpole connectors and have a long cable that can be plugged in when you need to use the rear winch.

Finding myself in a similar situation earlier this winter, I've begun to carry a ground anchor to avoid shoveling.

I lucked out and the ground was soft, but it still took 2 hours to bury a 37" tire. What ground anchor are you running?

That's a great point and important detail that would foil the best laid plans!

I lucked out and the ground was soft, but it still took 2 hours to bury a 37" tire. What ground anchor are you running?
Homebuilt. I followed some youtube instructions from this redneck:

Works like a charm. I also use a winch damper with this jerry-rig, because I'd hate to taste anchor. The guy in the video has a way cooler winch than my warn EVO12s, but hey, dare to dream!

Oooooo Treps, me likey.

Homebuilt. I followed some youtube instructions from this redneck:

Works like a charm. I also use a winch damper with this jerry-rig, because I'd hate to taste anchor. The guy in the video has a way cooler winch than my warn EVO12s, but hey, dare to dream!

Looks easy enough. I think I have all of the necessary pieces in scrap metal laying around.

That wheel/hub winch is wild! But it works.

I use that ARB portable tree. It works good, but I wish it was lighter, and it's kind of clunky. I do need to get an extra winch line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom