Why wont it start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Took the battery out to replace the headlight bulb and now nothing happens when I turn the key.Battery meter on the dash looks good.
Any ideas or suggestions.Battery is 3 years old from Toyota dealer.

Yes but it didn't help,I am going to hook it up to a trickle charger tomorrow morning to see if it takes a charge,if that doesn't work I will swap out the battery with Toyota since it is an 84-month battery.

Yes but it didn't help,I am going to hook it up to a trickle charger tomorrow morning to see if it takes a charge,if that doesn't work I will swap out the battery with Toyota since it is an 84-month battery.
Have you tried starting it in Neutral instead of Park? That would point to the neutral safety switch. They do go bad.

Weird coincidence though. My gut says it’s a battery connection issue based on what you just did.

Check the Fusible link. When you disconnected the battery and/or reconnected it could have been damaged or blown from shorting somehow. The blown link prevents starting power but should allow a certain amount by which can run accessories

I do get 1 click and then nothing,I have not had a chance to swap batteries.If it is the starter,how big of a job is it to get to the starter?

I do get 1 click and then nothing,I have not had a chance to swap batteries.If it is the starter,how big of a job is it to get to the starter?

Not fun. Whole intake manifold needs to come off. Might as well do all heater hoses, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, tube seals, etc at that point. It sounds like it could be fusible link.

I would focus more on the fact that it all worked fine and then you took out the battery and now it doesn't work. I don't think your starter just failed without any warning. A jump start not helping anything is strange but I'm still focused on your current battery install.

Post a pic maybe? Are the connections tight? Fusible link blown?

Although I may lose it, my money is also on battery connection.

^^^^^^^
I hope you are right.I will post some pics tomorrow,I hope you guys see something I dont.
Can you confirm if any interior lights , radio, etc. are working ?

Do you have a meter to test battery voltage ?

Any accidental grounding of battery, during removal or install may have blown a relay or fuse. So check if you had/saw any sparks.
But dash lights on, as IG SW key turned to ON, IG SW turned to start and than dash lights dim and a click heard; indicate starter!
Click when IG SW just turn to ON (not start) is not the starter. Click when IG SW turned to start "may" be starter.

With immobilizer, fuel cut off safety or transmission lockout switch issues. The starter will not click, dash lights do not normally dim. As no power diverted from battery to stater.

You've a good idea to fully charge battery. You'll want 12.7V or better for this test.
  • Make sure battery post and cable clamps clean of oxidation on fully charged battery.
  • Attach and "Sung" down positive battery clamp first. Just sung until you can not rotate clamp on post. Over tightening damage clamp. Then do same to negative side.
  • Make sure transmission in park, give shift a palm hit forward.
  • Observe security light on center consul flashing. Insert IG key and observe security light, it should go away/stop blinking.
  • Turn IG to on and observe self-test warning lights all come on. Turn to start: No crank: put shiftier in N. Try again. If in either P or N, lights dim and hear a click but engine does not crank (turn over) as you try to start (turn key to start). Very likely starer.

A bad starter will very often give early warning. In that it sometimes turns engine over (cranks) other times will not. This is starter contacts 90 % of time, not making a good contact, then good enough. A trick (great clue, that works about 80% of the time) to confirm bad starter contact, in a 98-05. Take the chrome bar from tool kit. Remove engine cover. Tap on starter through/between intake manifold tubes nearest back of engine. Do not tap on plastic or wires. Just metal housing of starter. This taping, vibration cause movement of starter contact plunges washer. Which we than very often find it starts, Sure clue contact of starter bad.

Above assumes, nothing else was touched during bulb replacement. Like a ground disconnected.

IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg

installed and still nothing,
I have a Bluetooth,FM transmitter that gives a Battery reading when you turn the key and right now it is reading 1.1

The battery reads 12.6 with a multimeter,
Any suggestions on any particular fuses I should check first before I replace the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom