Working alone - tools or tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That budbuilt skid cradle is awesome. Those stainless skids are heavy. I am going to borrow that idea. Thank you.

Good thread and great ideas!

I also do most work by myself and always coming up with ideas and "new tools"

As for brakes, I have been using these on ALL my Bikes, Trucks, and Cars for a LONG time, and they make bleeding super easy and painless:

Whenever i first do the brakes on a new (to me) vehicle, i swap these in right away. Once you try them, its comical thinking back to how much of a fuss it used to be, fixed by something so simple

Last edited:
That budbuilt skid cradle is awesome. Those stainless skids are heavy. I am going to borrow that idea. Thank you.
Yes, way better than my resting the skid on my chest as I slide under the truck on a creeper method!

Good thread and great ideas!

I also do most work by myself and always coming up with ideas and "new tools"

As for brakes, I have been using these on ALL my Bikes, Trucks, and Cars for a LONG time, and they make bleeding super easy and painless:

Whenever i first do the brakes on a new (to me) vehicle, i swap these in right away. Once you try them, its comical thinking back to how much of a fuss it used to be, fixed by something so simple

Agreed. I should upgrade mine next time I'm in there.

Do you by any chance have model number for speed bleeder that fits the 200 series?

I used to use these on race vehicles since i was bleeding brakes so much it was a huge time saver.

1679326382063.png

Does it seem right that they come up as the same item?

1679326760814.png

Last edited:
Agreed. I should upgrade mine next time I'm in there.

Do you by any chance have model number for speed bleeder that fits the 200 series?

I used to use these on race vehicles since i was bleeding brakes so much it was a huge time saver.

View attachment 3277689

I had them on my 2014 Tundra and I THINK it’s the same for the 200.

I will do my best to dig up the part #, it’s been awhile

Pulling it back, some of my favorite go to tools that are always in use

Favorite head lamp by far that's super bright, even lighting that minimizes shadows, and low profile to work in tight spaces
Amazon product ASIN B09QGB7BZF
Nut driver set when paired with a 1/4 impact driver. Speed!
Amazon product ASIN B093L4RDGN
Pick set, always handy for detail work or pulling gaskets, hose, seals, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08528HPHP

And a little luxury, Knipex pliers, spendy but flexible and a pleasure to use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AY0JXPS

I don't trust any jack stands/jack. I built cribbing(?) out of 2X4's. I work alone. Nobody to call the coroner if the jack/jack stands fail.

Cradle I made for removing and installing the very heavy BudBuilt SS engine skid, fits on my floor jack.

View attachment 3277549

Send your patent attorney, please. I am stealing this design for personal use. Genious!

Also, for my countless RLA up/down, in/out exercises, I adapted a motorcycle lift. It's made for a R1200GSA, so plenty of overhead.

Send your patent attorney, please. I am stealing this design for personal use. Genious!
My attorneys are Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe. They'll be in touch...

Here's the bottom, so you can see how it stabs into the hole in the jack. This was all thrown together with scrap wood that I had in my pile. Took only a few minutes.

PXL_20211001_162613252.jpg

What part of the LRA install was this? (I'll be attempting it soon, so don't want to re-enact.)
The part where I was an idiot and decided to try to realign the tank position with a pry bar. It was a stupid mistake.

I think I caused additional challenges when I added some strips of neoprene between the tank and body to eliminate noises, and that made some things trickier.

My point was that it would be good to keep a first aid kit nearby.

Also, for my countless RLA up/down, in/out exercises, I adapted a motorcycle lift. It's made for a R1200GSA, so plenty of overhead.

Ah, another Harbor Freight special in my garage that I don't reach for as often. Also useful to lift the whole side of the car with one floor jack.

Ah, another Harbor Freight special in my garage that I don't reach for as often. Also useful to lift the whole side of the car with one floor jack.

Yes! Those are very helpful

Also, I’ve owned tons of floor jacks over the years and their “Daytona” (in the pic of that cross beam) is hands down my fav

Yes! Those are very helpful

Also, I’ve owned tons of floor jacks over the years and their “Daytona” (in the pic of that cross beam) is hands down my fav

Most of my HF stuff predates the Daytona branding. While it's a hit or miss with some of their tools, on the whole, I can't fault the value proposition and most of the stuff I have has lasted well beyond the single project I expected it to hold up for.

I get the sense they're flexing the HF brand with more than just cheap volume stuff lately. With almost legit stuff like Badlands winches, off-road jacks, legit jack stands, etc. Still great value propositions, but leaning on the side of legit options that can hold their own.

I have been pleasantly surprised by HF. I purchased the Warrior 115 piece Cobalt drill set (high-dollar sets can run a thousand bucks or more) and while crudely finished, they drilled just as well and lasted just as long as the big buck name brand cobalt drills I had. I just needed another set. Recently, I had to drill a bunch of holes in hardened steel and I needed two 21/64 bits so a helper could work also. The high-dollar bit did not do any better. Looks pretty but did not cut any faster or last longer. The HF bolt extractors work well too. Other tools such as wrenches, drivers and such have been okay. The anvil is not so hot. Too soft for serious work. I have not tried any of the power tools. If I need something for occasional, light to moderate duty, HF has worked out to be okay. I used to be a Craftsman guy but ever since China took over the manufacture, the quality has tanked.

For what it is worth, I recently read an interview with the CEO and he said that HF takes customer reviews seriously and when a problem arises, the company tries to get it corrected. He said that the company does not want to get a bad reputation for selling junk. That is not a good way to stay in business.

Most of my HF stuff predates the Daytona branding. While it's a hit or miss with some of their tools, on the whole, I can't fault the value proposition and most of the stuff I have has lasted well beyond the single project I expected it to hold up for.

I get the sense they're flexing the HF brand with more than just cheap volume stuff lately. With almost legit stuff like Badlands winches, off-road jacks, legit jack stands, etc. Still great value propositions, but leaning on the side of legit options that can hold their own.

Yes, exactly!

Harbor Freight is a "it is what it is" type of place. I mainly only buy consumables there, sand paper, flap disks, gloves, that type of stuff.

However, in the last couple years, they are really thrown caution to the wind with their knockoff stuff!

Theres articles floating around about that Daytona jack and the ongoing lawsuit with Snapon, as its literally a direct copy.

We got one of their "US General" large tool boxes for the shop, and placed it right next to a snap on that was 10x the price. You literally cant tell the difference, some of the parts are even interchangeable.

Same with their badlands winch. MANY of the hardcore rock crawlers swear by them, and have done side by side comparisions to the superwinch variant, and its identical.

I now very rarely go there, mainly because its always crowded as hell, but they have some REALLY nice bargain stuff if you know what to look for.

Also, their Milwaukee knockoff "Bauer" even uses the Milwaukee batteries in there stuff. I dont know anyone personally thats bought or tried any of the Bauer stuff, but i am told its great.

I'm more of a Pierce and Pierce guy myself.

@Boston Mangler @TeCKis300 That setup looks legit! I've put in an order after signing up for their membership. Better than using a hi-lift on the sliders. Also, it won't hurt to replace a 12 year old craftsman floor jack that is gettign questionably reliable on activating the descent.

If the tech is that close to Snap-on to cause infringement lawsuits, I'm getting in while the getting is good!

HFT settled with Snapon, paying an undisclosed amount. Yes, it is an exact copy, this is why it is so good. I also own one and it is realy good. But that high quality is an exception not the rule with HFT tools.
I used to be a Craftsman guy to. Too bad Sears f.up that brand and mismanaged the business.
HFT stuff has come a long way. Some of the HFT stuff is getting close to Craftsman quality now days. While Craftsman quality is slowly improving after it tanked a few years back when the brand was sold. They are both lagging behind what Craftsman used to be.
At HFT you cannot make a blanket statement as even a line of tools like Bauer has problems. With them I judge quality one tool at a time. The ratchets and sockets are still not on par with some other known brands and I'm not talking top tier here. They look good and function Ok but durability is the Achile heel. Put them to anything heavy duty and they fail or wore out fast.
On issue with HFT statement of customer satisfaction is their return and warranty policies. They are very bad for the prices they charge for Bauer and the like.
Because of that, if I need a heavy used tool HFT is not the first place I go. In order I usually go Bosch then some of the HD brands (paying with HD card so I get a very nice and long warranty). I still look at Craftsman but they are such a hit and miss these days.

Talking about tools here is one that I do not use often but when I need it there is nothing else that can replace it:
Bolt Buster Induction tool

You can also find it on amazon.

What it does: it heats your stuck bolt or nut to red hot without using a flame, keeping the heat very localized so you do not melt plastic, break glass, burn out paint, or light up your fuel tank.
The biggest save for me with this tool was removing bolts that held the sway bar supports to the rear aluminum frame on my Volvo. I could cut the nuts but the bolts where going all the way through the frame and they were fused inside the holes. I could not get a drill there, the only way would have been to drop the frame - a LOT of work, and no guarantee that I can drill a straight hole all the way through the frame and not damage the aluminum. There was no place to play with any flame there are even if I could use a flame on the bolt end it would make little difference as the big aluminum frame was acting as a heat sink.
With induction the heat is generated inside the bolt not transferred to it. It is magic watching the bolt get red hot and the oxide burn away.

If you buy the kit the tool comes with multiple induction loops of different coil size and reach. You can also buy just coil that you can cut and make your own custom loop or modify any readymade ones to get to the place your bolt is/ avoid touching anything you do not want to touch.

It is not cheap for the amount of use it gets in my garage, but it should be your best friend if you live in the salt belt.

HFT settled with Snapon, paying an undisclosed amount. Yes, it is an exact copy, this is why it is so good. I also own one and it is realy good. But that high quality is an exception not the rule with HFT tools.
I used to be a Craftsman guy to. Too bad Sears f.up that brand and mismanaged the business.
HFT stuff has come a long way. Some of the HFT stuff is getting close to Craftsman quality now days. While Craftsman quality is slowly improving after it tanked a few years back when the brand was sold. They are both lagging behind what Craftsman used to be.
At HFT you cannot make a blanket statement as even a line of tools like Bauer has problems. With them I judge quality one tool at a time. The ratchets and sockets are still not on par with some other known brands and I'm not talking top tier here. They look good and function Ok but durability is the Achile heel. Put them to anything heavy duty and they fail or wore out fast.
On issue with HFT statement of customer satisfaction is their return and warranty policies. They are very bad for the prices they charge for Bauer and the like.
Because of that, if I need a heavy used tool HFT is not the first place I go. In order I usually go Bosch then some of the HD brands (paying with HD card so I get a very nice and long warranty). I still look at Craftsman but they are such a hit and miss these days.

Talking about tools here is one that I do not use often but when I need it there is nothing else that can replace it:
Bolt Buster Induction tool

You can also find it on amazon.

What it does: it heats your stuck bolt or nut to red hot without using a flame, keeping the heat very localized so you do not melt plastic, break glass, burn out paint, or light up your fuel tank.
The biggest save for me with this tool was removing bolts that held the sway bar supports to the rear aluminum frame on my Volvo. I could cut the nuts but the bolts where going all the way through the frame and they were fused inside the holes. I could not get a drill there, the only way would have been to drop the frame - a LOT of work, and no guarantee that I can drill a straight hole all the way through the frame and not damage the aluminum. There was no place to play with any flame there are even if I could use a flame on the bolt end it would make little difference as the big aluminum frame was acting as a heat sink.
With induction the heat is generated inside the bolt not transferred to it. It is magic watching the bolt get red hot and the oxide burn away.

If you buy the kit the tool comes with multiple induction loops of different coil size and reach. You can also buy just coil that you can cut and make your own custom loop or modify any readymade ones to get to the place your bolt is/ avoid touching anything you do not want to touch.

It is not cheap for the amount of use it gets in my garage, but it should be your best friend if you live in the salt belt.

Agree 100% with this!

A handful of things at HFT are great but…. Yeah…

For hand tools, I was also a craftsmen guy forever until their quality went into the crapper and sears in no longer in business for the hassle free replacement

Now I use the Husky brand from Home Depot. I have yet to break a single Husky tool, and if I can’t break, most others won’t 😂

HFT also just came out with a clone of the silly $400 “Pro Eagle” Offroad jack that is getting rave reviews from the rock crawler crowd.

As always, with anything, it’s buyer beware

I generally live by the “an ounce of prevention saves a pound of headache” and the “buy once, cry once” mantra, especially when it comes to tools

FWIW I’ve broke more snap on tools than any other brands I’ve used, and will never purchase another one ever. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom