97 Landcruiser bad wheel bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

The driver side wheel of my 97 landcruiser was overhbeated, there were smoke and smelt like burning rubber. Took it apart, one of the wheel bearing was crushed., there were metal pieces all over. Not sure what caused it, always had steering knuckle leaks before. Couple of questions.

1st photo, Is the birfield safe to use. Damaged by metal pieces from the crushed wheel bearing.

2nd photo. Is axle hub still useable? Have cut it accidentally with a oscillating tool when I cut the 54mm locking nut off.

Lastly, both the knuckle bearings are stuck. One to the knuckle arm, one to the upper bearing cap. Probably caused by the heat. Any idea how to remove them?

Thanks a lot.

20230319_164320 (1).jpg
20230319_164232 (2).jpg

All of that looks like toast, my guess is the spindle is as well.
Looks like it was dry in there !!
Post pictures of the rest of the parts

Have you tried a bearing puller ?

The hub may be salvageable if it's just that nick ;) needs a good cleaning to tell
You may need to put some heat on the bearing and use the puller to get them off !! a map gas torch should do the trick

If this side is that bad I would pull the other side apart for a refresh

hub looks reusable

spindle and cv joint should be replaced

bearings from the upper and lower arms need to be cut or heated to remove after such failure

To get upper cap off I would cut some wood wedges (hard wood preferably) drive them in from opposite directions if you can.
If you are successful with that you can drive the lower one off with a big drift

To get upper cap off I would cut some wood wedges (hard wood preferably) drive them in from opposite directions if you can.
If you are successful with that you can drive the lower one off with a big drift
Sounds good. Thank you again

Curious why a cutoff tool was needed for the 54mm nut?

There is a SST made from a threaded rod and two press bushings that was intended to seat the knuckle bearings. The rod goes inside the ball joint, vertically, and a nut holds the die in place while the thread pulls it in.

You can do the same thing in reverse to press the bearing cups out. You need the largest threaded diameter rod you can fit into the cup bore, because the thread is going to take all the load pressing the cups out. A flat, or two, on the rod in the middle will allow you to turn it with a wrench.

This prevents having to pound on the ball at an angle to get the cups out.

Hello,

The driver side wheel of my 97 landcruiser was overhbeated, there were smoke and smelt like burning rubber. Took it apart, one of the wheel bearing was crushed., there were metal pieces all over. Not sure what caused it, always had steering knuckle leaks before. Couple of questions.

1st photo, Is the birfield safe to use. Damaged by metal pieces from the crushed wheel bearing.

2nd photo. Is axle hub still useable? Have cut it accidentally with a oscillating tool when I cut the 54mm locking nut off.

Lastly, both the knuckle bearings are stuck. One to the knuckle arm, one to the upper bearing cap. Probably caused by the heat. Any idea how to remove them?

Thanks a lot.

View attachment 3277583View attachment 3277584
New spindle
New Birfield (Outer axle / CV joint)
New trunnion bearings. Keep track of the shims so you get them in the right place when going back together.
Reuse the hub, may need to use sealant and not just the paper gasket. (I use "The Right Stuff" in black, expensive but well worth it. - Cheese Wiz can only)

Consider new studs, cones, washers, and nuts in the outer part of the hub, as they look pretty beat up.

Absolutely do the other side as well.

Can you post up photos of the CV joints, drive flanges, and spindles next to each other to compare each side to the other once you have both sides apart??

I have used birfields that I think are in good shape if you want them. Don’t know exactly where you are but I can drop them off on my way along the I-40 this weekend. I can take a look at them and post pics if you’re interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom