March 18, 2023 Club Run - Cougar Buttes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our March Club Run will be on Saturday, March 18, to Cougar Buttes, just minutes from Big Bear and Johnson Valley. According to TrailsOffRoad, Cougar Buttes has everything Johnson Valley has but in a much smaller and more accessible area. This area is rated on difficulty from 1-10, depending on which portions of which trails you choose to run. It will be suitable for stock high-clearance 4WD's, but should offer some more challenging line options as well, for those who'd like to "stretch" a bit.

We will meet at 8:30 AM, at the corner of Camp Rock Road & Astral Road (off Hwy 247; GPS coordinates 34.48724, -116.85714), to air down and hit the trail, with wheels rolling by 9:00 AM. You'll probably want to top-off your fuel tank in Hesperia or Victorville. Since our rendezvous point is just 2-3 hours away, it's close enough for a day run. However, I understand there's a lot of primitive/dispersed camping in the area, for any who would like to make it an overnight trip. When we last did this run, we camped at Soggy Dry Lake.

If you're planning to attend this run, will you please check-in on this thread, so that I know who/how many to expect?

Last edited:
Our March Club Run will be Cougar Buttes, just minutes from Big Bear and Johnson Valley. According to TrailsOffRoad, Cougar Buttes has everything Johnson Valley has but in a much smaller and more accessible area. This area is rated on difficulty from 1-10, depending on which portions of which trails you choose to run. It will be suitable for stock high-clearance 4WD's, but should offer some more challenging line options as well, for those who'd like to "stretch" a bit.

We will meet at 8:30 AM, at the corner of Camp Rock Road & Cambria Road (off Hwy 247; GPS coordinates 34.48724, -116.85714), to air down and hit the trail, with wheels rolling by 9:00 AM. You'll probably want to top-off your fuel tank in Hesperia or Victorville. Since our rendezvous point is just 2-3 hours away, it's close enough for a day run. However, I understand there's a lot of primitive/dispersed camping in the area, for any who would like to make it an overnight trip. When we last did this run, we camped at Soggy Dry Lake.

If you're planning to attend this run, will you please check-in on this thread, so that I know who/how many to expect?
I'm going

Our March Club Run will be on Saturday, March 18, to Cougar Buttes, just minutes from Big Bear and Johnson Valley. According to TrailsOffRoad, Cougar Buttes has everything Johnson Valley has but in a much smaller and more accessible area. This area is rated on difficulty from 1-10, depending on which portions of which trails you choose to run. It will be suitable for stock high-clearance 4WD's, but should offer some more challenging line options as well, for those who'd like to "stretch" a bit.

We will meet at 8:30 AM, at the corner of Camp Rock Road & Astral Road (off Hwy 247; GPS coordinates 34.48724, -116.85714), to air down and hit the trail, with wheels rolling by 9:00 AM. You'll probably want to top-off your fuel tank in Hesperia or Victorville. Since our rendezvous point is just 2-3 hours away, it's close enough for a day run. However, I understand there's a lot of primitive/dispersed camping in the area, for any who would like to make it an overnight trip. When we last did this run, we camped at Soggy Dry Lake.

I plan on making this run!

There will be another 4runner joining me for this run! (Stock 5th gen 4runner). We will only be doing a day run as something came up for me in the evening.

As of now, we have the following attendees:

• DirtyRice Joe (Trail leader) & Robin
  • Mark & Roz (Joe & Robin's friends)
  • Marc
  • Dat
  • Evan
  • Evan's friend
  • Katsuo70 Rob
  • Rockys60 Ron
  • menancyandsam
  • Larry
  • Chris Heron (maybe)
So, 10 or 11 rigs. Nice turnout, should be fun. For those of you on ham radios, let's use 146.535. See you all in the morning!

Last edited:
I added my photos from the run to the club photos page: Cougar Buttes

I did not get many photos of those at the back of the line so if you have any photos, upload them to this link and I will add to the album: Club Photos

IMG_9194.JPEG

IMG_9176.JPEG

IMG_9152.JPEG
IMG_9211.JPEG
IMG_2910.JPEG

This would've been a nice one to make.

Who's is white 80 with autohome RTT? I want to say it's @DirtyRice Joe. But it has been so long since we've been able to make a run; last time we were able was the Anza run from 2020.

How was your Samurai Sushi? My wife, bro-in-law and I were sitting right inside the door when you parked, then joined your friends.

This would've been a nice one to make.

Who's is white 80 with autohome RTT? I want to say it's @DirtyRice Joe. But it has been so long since we've been able to make a run; last time we were able was the Anza run from 2020.

How was your Samurai Sushi? My wife, bro-in-law and I were sitting right inside the door when you parked, then joined your friends.
Hahaha - That was me, alright! We had just gotten back from Cougar Buttes with our friends in the Rubicon 4xe, and decided we wanted a nice dinner after a long day of play. Next time, say hello in person! Hope to see you soon on another club run or meeting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom