Purist Step away. Mint 400 2023 FJ45 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It was good looking!

FD3856B9-DE10-4A19-9CF3-1749D72AC7BC.jpeg

E1BB3F56-993A-40A6-93F7-ED44CCE7A826.jpeg

466A0F1A-B440-471A-BD2C-3D556E1D229C.jpeg

AC21559D-7EBA-4568-BC07-69CD286477BF.jpeg

31383C9E-9916-42A1-AF96-7EC9009A4B0E.jpeg

What an epic journey from concept to race day. Whatever the result, seeing the pictures of Rob's 45 on the track puts a huge smile on my face.

A big congratulations to Rob, his support team, build volunteers, sponsors and everyone else involved.

Well done and thank you for sharing the adventure. 🏆

I will get a detailed account of our adventures and race day later tonight when we get home. Was it worth it YOU BET ! Most amazing awesome 10 miles of my life. And we did what we set out to do last September. Pass tech and be on the starting line when the green flag dropped. What took us our of the race ? A phone call, someone stopping by, walking away for one moment. Losing focus and not staking the front drive flange on the third or not enough. No matter We took the green flag and will forever in the books 1967 Toyota FJ45 Race number 7319 Driver of record Rob Tygart. This story is far from over.

IMG_20230309_151949_640.jpg

Chase 3 just arrived back in SLC. What an adventure. Rob, you sir are my hero. Put it all on the line, said you were going to do something and did it! Such a great time surrounded by Cruiserhead family that is the Rusty Nail Racing crew. Time to pressure wash the dust out of the 200 Series and look forward to the next race!

My favorite pic of the truck
FB_IMG_1678645262542.jpg

Race recap ( Wednesday ) Mat Carpentier and I woke up early to get to the drivers regrestration at the El Cortez. I was a day early LOL so we enjoyed breakfast and headed to Jason Mace Mom's house where the 45 was stored. Mat installed the side mirrors and camel packs, Scott White made it and helped with things under the 45, I fine tuned a few other things. We were ready for the Parade and Pre Tech. We got dinged at pre tech for a few minor things and then the roll cage, we needed a lateral bar from th main cage out the rear window plated to the bed tied into the frame. Moore McEvil and Sarah McNeil were on the way hours out along with Justin. Text messages were flying and numbers for shops coming in. We got a number for Scott Johnson he was 14 minutes away and offered to open his shop and help. We passed on the parade passing tech was more important. Henry Luschei sorced some 2 in .120 DOM tubing Jason Mace got the truck and trailer back and we loaded up the 45 and found Scott's shop. Myself, Mat, Scott White. We met and it was amaizing he offered up whatever we needed, and he walked me over to show me his own project a 1979 FJ40. Fast forward Britton and Sarah show up and soon Justin Reece. Henry Luschei got side swiped on the freeway getting the tubing back, and Scott Johnson was cutting plates and tubing. We started a 4pm and finished just after midnight. Everyone was exhausted and confident we had done all we could do. The next morning we had to be up at 0500 and prepair for staging for final tech. This was a Full on Team effort and without everyone's support there was no way we could have finished. Scott Johnson opening his shop saved the day. The work everone put in that night was Amaizing. Tomorrow I will breakdown Tech day and the events that followed. I can't say enough about our Rusty Nail Crew Thank you

IMG_6255.jpg

20230308_211000.jpg

20230308_222448.jpg

20230308_140012.jpg

20230308_201046.jpg

Mint 400 recap, Tech day - After getting in around 0100 am Mat Carpentier and myself Most of the crew all headed into Vegas to find a place to unload the 45 and prepare for final tech. This was the day we would find out if all the hard work would get us to the starting line. After unloading the 45 Justin took the trailer to find a place to park, Josh, Andie and Wendy stayed to finish up a few things, Mat and I left for the El Cortez to get checked in. Glad we got there early the transponder guys were super late and we didnt get out of there til after 0930, The line had started moving so Josh jumped in the 45 and grinning ear to ear staged the 45 at Freemont st. Mat and I got checked in and started walking to the top of Freemont st. We found Josh and Andie pulling towards us. ALL SMILES. I swapped with Josh and Mat and Josh rode in the back. It was amazing people were lined up and all taking photos. We missed a turn and found tech. Only 6 rigs ahead of us. I was nervous wreck LOL. I saw the guy who failed us the day before he walk up Look inside and walk away. Next this another official walked up put a sticker on the door and said " Looks like your racing tomorrow " What a feeling and one hell of an emotional moment. We did it. Goal One PASS TECH. our 1967 Toyota LC FJ45 was going to see the green flag. Everyone on the team kicked ass the night before and the hard work paid off. We were Racing in the Mint 400. We had time to kill so we went back to the El Cortez for a drink and relax. Thats when I got the call about Marlin. I pretty much lost it inside I told Justin and he admitted they had all found out and were keeping it from me to help keep me focused the rest of the day were a roll a coaster of emotions. Britt and Sarah worked with the radio people to get our coms up and working. By 4 or 5 pm I was done an exhausted mess LOL we got back to Primm and by 630 I was told we got this Rob you got a big day tomorrow get some sleep. I was told the Team were up til after 11 getting the 45 dialed in. I dont know his MUD name I personaly want to Thank James West for driving out from Vegas at such a late hour. Race morning I woke up to find a Marlin sticker in the drivers seat.

IMG958463.jpg

20230309_094425 (1).jpg

20230309_093551 (1).jpg

20230309_094503 (1).jpg

20230309_140722 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Mint 400 recap. Before I get into Race day I need to cover who were the major players in getting us here. My Sponsors ! In the Toyota/Cruiser community these people are Family and each one of these guys stepped up and offered anything and everything. Georg Esterer Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers, Kurt Williams Cruiser Outfitters, Brandon Bonneville Classic Cruisers, Patrick Emerson Bowfin Cruisers, Pat Fourmont Summit Steel, Carlos Murrilo Koritas Tire. Without these vendors donating parts, support and taking my calls answering questions there is no way I could have gotten as far as I did. I can't Thank you all enough for supporting us. Also my co driver Mat Carpentier handling all the aftermarket odds and ends, Moore McEvil and Sarah McNeil radio and coms ( emotional support ), The guys during King of the Hammers taking the time to help with wiring, Andrew Walkup spending the day helping me build a set of springs, The entire Rusty Nail Family, Bob, Josh and Andie, Matt Carter. Wendy Tygart chasing parts, Henry Luschei. The Colorado boys, and so many others. @RustyNailJustin and Kelly Adams Reece for inviting me into camp so many years ago to be apart of the Rusty Nail racing Family at King of the Hammers starting out holding a stop sign in a remote pit to building my own race truck. Thank you all who have been apart of this journey ( which isn't over )

20230304_170940 (2).jpg

A good bunch of folks. 👍🎯👍

Mint 400 Race day. Mat Carpentier and I were up before the sun we met at the campground looked over the 45 and rolled it off the trailer. We headed towards the staging areaand as we drove through the gate for myself is was surreal feeling. The sun was just starting to come up and had to ask someone where the Hell we were supposed to go LOL ( no signs or directions ) We were the first one's there. We parked and I was thinking this is it were going to see the Green flag drop. No matter what happens now We WON We are in the Mint 400 stock class. We were told to stage at marker 116 just inside the gate. As a few rigs rolled some of the Team showed up, Moore McEvil Sarah McNeil Georg Esterer, Justin Reece Dillon and I'm sure a few others. I was taking it all in. I felt relaxed and ready to go. Mat got me straped in We shook hands and a few hugs with those there and waiting for the start. Rigs started pulling forward and off we went. Looking around we found none of the other stock class trucks were around us. We stopped and an offical told us to just wait OK. I dont know how long we sat there. Mat going over our race plan and advice. The rest of the team was setting up our pits. Parked I heard something and tried to look over there were some of the team at the fence Smiles and waving. We got the go ahead and started moving forward. Soon we were 2nd out from the start, This was really happening. It was our turn and I gassed the 45 and up the hill we went. Staged at the start line. Mat counted me down I gassed the crap out of the 45 and slowly let out the clutch ( I didnt want to stall on the start LOL ) Down the first hill and Mat Carpentier was calling out turns and each time building my comfidence We had just started and he was already making sure I was relaxed. Breath buddy Breath if you dont relax and breath you'll never make it 200 miles. Turn 3 Jim Horne came up behind us I turned tight into the turn and he made quick work taking the high side to get around me. The old 1F motor was working hard in 2nd keeping the RPM's up in the soft dirt and handled it without issue. We started over the 25MPH bridge and Mat was calling out our speed ( My speedo didnt work ) I was starting to relax as we passed the solor field It was going to be a good day. Thats enough for now Sorry its a long story

IMG_7343(1).jpg

AC21559D-7EBA-4568-BC07-69CD286477BF(1).jpeg

31383C9E-9916-42A1-AF96-7EC9009A4B0E.jpeg

We need moar!!😁😁😁

Mat and I cleared the solar panels and he called out right turn. We started picking up speed. It wasn't a bad road normal fire/desert stuff, We were both surprised how well the 45 was riding. Mat called out there's a caution ⚠️ coming up. Since it was our first we didn't know what to expect. Mat calls out G-Out ( oh crap ) we hit it pretty good and then started laughing " Well I guess that's what caution means LOL ) It quickly turned into flat lake bed with power lines on the right. Mat said hit it. Next thing I hear " OH s*** we're doing seventy miles an hour " I was beyond impressed and the 45 was running and riding perfectly. Left turn under the power lines. Shortly a sharp right onto another choppy dirt rd. BAM BAM BAM Mat says you hear that ? I slowed and it went away. Running in 2nd gear 25-30 MPH no sound. Could be the driveshaft zip tie to the bed cage ? I started to accelerate within a 1/4 mile all Hell breaks loose. It sounded like we were coming apart. Pull over, Don't slow down on the course Mat tells me, I pull off Mats thinks we blew a tire. Stopping he tells me Stay strapped in Helmet on ( Again his professionalism is one of the reasons I asked him to co drive ) He leaned into the window Bro the driveshafts gone. My brain is going light speed. What do you mean it's gone ? Then I hear " Ah Rob you might want to check this out "

20230310_103913.jpg

Well... he had a crack at it.

That's just a special ventilation system for racing...Right?
All the expensive race parts are usually at least 2 piece…

Man I know that feeling, but the enthusiasm up till that point sounds infectious 👍🏻

I know your all waiting for an update. I decided to fly to Texas and surprise everyone at the Lone Star Land Cruiser 20th anniversary Round up. It never disappoints

20230317_203216.jpg

20230318_173455.jpg

20230318_183530.jpg

20230318_131219.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom