Talk or push me off the ledge- keep my 00 LX or buy 09... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

"fiddling with torsion bars???" They are the least fiddly things imaginable. More of set it and forget it.

But ok, cool, yeah, you do you, bro. That's just not 99% of the sample size probably. And I couldn't care less about agreeing.

Never change anything heavy or change your lca bushings i guess. While everyone else can just swap coils, you’ve gotta do the fun iterative jack up, adjust, cycle suspension, measure cycle.

Wowza. More like tension bars in here. Amiright?

Did you post this same question in the 200 series forum? Curious what sort of echo chamber responses exist there in comparison.

No offense OP, but when I look at buying another vehicle I just go drive one or a few. Rarely do I query people I dont know from Adam on a forum.

The forum is a great resource to learn about the pros and cons. But I tend to parse out the BS and not let people sway me on spending my money.

Signed, a non-typical car owner/buyer.

Because he can and he has every right to do so. I don’t consider his very legitimate torsion bar complaints “bad mouth”-ing the 100.
Yes, he certainly can, it's an open forum. But it gets old.... and I'm not the only one who thinks so.
bad mouth? You like torsion bars? Ok.

The guy asked for opinions. He’s getting them.
I don't love torsion bars but it's fine for the 100 and it's generally intended purpose. I can talk all day about the 80's and the 200's deficiencies but I won't in their respective forum. Some would call that trolling.

Yes, he asked for opinions. I'll give you that. But in this thread, strictly about LS swaps.... there is no mention of suspension.... and your reply is...
Unless you do a SAS too... still stuck with torsion bars....
It gets old.
Never change anything heavy or change your lca bushings i guess. While everyone else can just swap coils, you’ve gotta do the fun iterative jack up, adjust, cycle suspension, measure cycle.
Just swapping coils? That's not true... they/we are using trim packers and spacers to fine tune height. I have dual rate coil-overs one of my LC's and it is just as complicated or more complicated to tune than t-bars. You don't really want to crank on the aluminum threaded collar to adjust height. You still want to take the weight off of it.

I don't own either a 100 or a 200 but since I work on them daily - I'll share a few things:

200 is built better overall as compared to a 100 series - frame, suspension, mechanicals pretty much everything is built slightly better (so too many slightly better things equals to a solid reliable platform) - the UR series engines are bulletproof tried and tested many times over. 200 has better brakes, better handling and drivetrain reliability. for example: the 100 series is known for its steering rack failures (leaks) and ABS(unit failures) / braking issues - both have been resolved on the 200 and are pretty much rock solid in that regard.

common problems with the 200s I have seen so far are jammed transfer case 4H-4L motor - which is primarily caused due to not using (or engaging) the system regularly - so I have made a practice for my customers that every 200 I get for any work (that requires more than a day to complete) we cycle 4H-4L system so it doesn't get stuck.
Steering VGRS systems fail but all of the failures I have experienced were on high mileage vehicles.
The ends of chassis rails on the front of the vehicle there are 3.5/4.0mm plates which are stitch welded, whereas they should've been properly welded - those welds let go and form a crack - the repair if caught early is very easy and so far I've only seen this on the diesel 1vd-ftv cruisers - however the rails ends are similarly welded on both diesel/petrol variants.

apart from the all of the above, the 200 rides and drives better, is more comfortable and capable both on / off-road.
So, as far I am concerned - id go for the 200 any day--

To each his own I guess.The first 200 that I looked at with a little more than 100k seemed like a really good deal until I pulled up the Lexus history.Two radiators (overheated twice)three sets of brakes and rotors and one note of no oil.maybe it’s just me but any Lexus with the cow catcher grille is simply unattractive. I consider myself lucky to have found an 06 rust free southern LX and plan to drive it for eternity.(I’m 72)

Yes, he certainly can, it's an open forum. But it gets old.... and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I don't love torsion bars but it's fine for the 100 and it's generally intended purpose. I can talk all day about the 80's and the 200's deficiencies but I won't in their respective forum. Some would call that trolling.

Yes, he asked for opinions. I'll give you that. But in this thread, strictly about LS swaps.... there is no mention of suspension.... and your reply is...

It gets old.

Just swapping coils? That's not true... they/we are using trim packers and spacers to fine tune height. I have dual rate coil-overs one of my LC's and it is just as complicated or more complicated to tune than t-bars. You don't really want to crank on the aluminum threaded collar to adjust height. You still want to take the weight off of it.

You care an awful lot about my opinion :grinpimp:

@KShorthairs , did you get a chance to test drive a 200 this weekend? Curious to see what your takeaways were and if you felt it would be the right move.

I would agree with many here that in terms of engineering and technology the 200 brings some huge improvements, curious to see if it has the feel and character of your 100. Best of luck with the choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom