Long Travel AHC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I missed the part about having to disassemble the shock. Is that so you can gain access to grind away the AHC line bracket?

I wish I kept all my AHC components. I need to buy a front shock assembly now.

I missed the part about having to disassemble the shock. Is that so you can gain access to grind away the AHC line bracket?

I wish I kept all my AHC components. I need to buy a front shock assembly now.

Its to replace studs in the top hat in order to add more than the 12.5-13mm in top spacers for stroke increase. Otherwise like @TeCKis300 put so well, a stage 1 12-13mm spacer, would not require any shock dissasembly.

Stage 2 you can include the second additional spacer, the preload collar for the coil, and the longer studs to allow for the second spacer. Stage 2 requires disassembly either way, preload or not, due to short top studs.

In my quest for the right size spacer, there are some spacers that also extend the length of the studs. The spacer is designed to go over the stud, then a "cap stud" bolts over the original stud and holds the spacer to the shock assembly. Then the new stud gets a nut over the top to attach to the truck. So if we had something like that, the shock wouldn't need to be disassembled. You'd just have to figure out how to clearance the ahc connection. I don't know how much more complicated that makes the spacer part. If you go from needing a simple ring to something with a lot more cuts.

If someone were designing the spacer to maximize the "stage one" version, you should also try to build it with a slot so that it can go on without disconnecting the AHC line.

In my quest for the right size spacer, there are some spacers that also extend the length of the studs. The spacer is designed to go over the stud, then a "cap stud" bolts over the original stud and holds the spacer to the shock assembly. Then the new stud gets a nut over the top to attach to the truck. So if we had something like that, the shock wouldn't need to be disassembled. You'd just have to figure out how to clearance the ahc connection. I don't know how much more complicated that makes the spacer part. If you go from needing a simple ring to something with a lot more cuts.

If someone were designing the spacer to maximize the "stage one" version, you should also try to build it with a slot so that it can go on without disconnecting the AHC line.

Yes, very much like a deep wheel spacer.

Only caveat here I can add is the stud alignment is asymmetrical, so a stud inclusive big spacer would need to reclock the studs In the same pattern, potentially making it not possible to overlap with the short cut studs in oem position.

And of course AHC clamp is still at play.

Yes, very much like a deep wheel spacer.

Only caveat here I can add is the stud alignment is asymmetrical, so a stud inclusive big spacer would need to reclock the studs In the same pattern, potentially making it not possible to overlap with the short cut studs in oem position.

And of course AHC clamp is still at play.

No, that's the point. These "cap studs" go over the top of the existing studs, so everything is still clocked the same. The internet seems to call them "Stud Extenders".

No, that's the point. These "cap studs" go over the top of the existing studs, so everything is still clocked the same. The internet seems to call them "Stud Extenders".

Word? Got a link for anything? Wonder how they hold up.

Word? Got a link for anything? Wonder how they hold up.
The one i saw yesterday was more like what i would expect to see on what we would need, with machined recesses for the stud extender. But here's a basic example. Tons of these out there.

The stud extender strategy doesn't quite work it needs the stock stud to be fully under the deck, plus a few mm for meat of extender to bridge into the stud extension part. This is something like 25mm minimum.

Further inspiration for anyone with more fabrication time on their hands than I've currently got.
BDS Suspension has a novel approach for a Tundra lift kit that could work for the bottom of the front AHC struts (albeit not a 7" lift in the case of the LX):
1678766750857.png

1678766825500.png

Just throwing spaghetti at a wall here, looking for a simple and reversible bolt on front end solution. Other spacer solutions mounted on the LCA are also achievable with a bit of craftiness.

I took a little time today to come up with a concept.

What if I make new shock top hats that will have 15mm spacer built in, with the option to add another 5mm spacer?

This will get rid of the studs and bolts will be used instead.

These will be around $325 for a set.

ASSY.JPG

ASSY 2.JPG

What if I make new shock top hats that will have 15mm spacer built in, with the option to add another 5mm spacer?

View attachment 3276272

View attachment 3276273

Would it be possible for a front solution that doesn’t require cracking open the AHC? Eg unbolt the shock and drop it low enough in the Mount but leave the line hooked up and slip in a spacer.

I thought about buying one of the OEM ones and just cutting one side out.

I have no idea if this work work or be a bad idea.

View attachment 3276272

View attachment 3276273

Yes, i want more than 20mm though!

Would it be possible for a front solution that doesn’t require cracking open the AHC? Eg unbolt the shock and drop it low enough in the Mount but leave the line hooked up and slip in a spacer.

Yes but the problem is the ahc hose clamp is wider than the bucket opening. That would totally work to do a split spacer that you might wiggle in, but that ahc clamp will not physically fit to through that top hole to be able to droop down the shock and slip something on top.

Thats why i had to grind material away in my build.

Yes but the problem is the ahc hose clamp is wider than the bucket opening. That would totally work to do a split spacer that you might wiggle in, but that ahc clamp will not physically fit to through that top hole to be able to droop down the shock and slip something on top.

Thats why i had to grind material away in my build.

Ah I get it.

Yes, i want more than 20mm though!

giphy-downsized.gif

Last edited:

View attachment 3276272

View attachment 3276273
thats a great way to go about this.

the ahc line is incredibly stiff and sits so close to the top of the bucket. I highly doubt you would be able to get the whole coil over to drop down low enough and slide over the studs. You would also need to disconnect the sway bar and probably loosen your cam bolts to get that level of droop to slide in. At lease remove the upper control arm from the spindle.

The front ahc lines are pretty easy to disconnect and work around. The hardest part of front suspension installs is pulling the coil over out of the lower bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom