Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sold the 4Runner. Cleaned the garage out for whatever comes next.
D77E0F94-7534-465A-B3F9-12B826570057.jpeg

I’ll ride around stock for a while before trimming it up and customizing

Nooooo!

It's stock except for paint.

Don't instagram it...

Repaint it the factory color, Magna Red or Candy Panther Gold. (Yes, I had to look up the actual factory paint codes...)

Nooooo!

It's stock except for paint.

Don't instagram it...

Repaint it the factory color, Magna Red or Candy Panther Gold. (Yes, I had to look up the actual factory paint codes...)
Don’t worry. I won’t go overboard. I have to de-chrome it though. I need to find a place that can sandblast the chrome pipes and fenders. I’ll probably just add straight mufflers, de-chrome, new seat and grips, and fab a smaller brake light through rear fender. I’ll also remove the starter and go to kick only. But I won’t do cafe racer bars or anything. Not that I have anything against it but I want to maintain the scrambler look.

I need to find a place that can sandblast the chrome pipes and fenders. I’ll probably just add straight mufflers, de-chrome, new seat and grips, and fab a smaller brake light through rear fender.
:eek:

Spent too much time getting all the mud off

PXL_20230326_151838874.MP.jpg

PXL_20230326_151842798.MP.jpg

PXL_20230326_153608455.MP.jpg

PXL_20230326_173212702.MP.jpg

Nice....I was right there with you yesterday doing the same thing....I did an initial blast down last week, but my pressure washer started geezing out on me. Finally time to upgrade from the electric 1700 to the gas 3200 psi. I was eying the upgrade anyway as I use it several times a year on my boat too, so it won't just sit after this use. Jacked her up and pulled the rear wheels off to get in all of the nooks, still need to pull the front wheels off too, but ran out of time before work.

The mud from that trip was pretty goopy and I probably had a little extra (and @prharper too!) from being there a day early when it was raining. That said, it definitely made some things a bit more interesting!

Well after waiting for sales and parts to come in I was finally able to get my new to me ARB CKMA12 On-board air compressor installed this past Sunday.

It was a 2 banana install. The hardest part was the wiring simply because I suck at electrical work but I was lucky to have my good buddy who is an auto mechanic helping out.

It was perfect weather this Sunday with the sun shining and temps in the upper 50’s low 60’s… great weather for Maryland this time of year!

First order of the install was to take off the plastic cover over the fuse and batter side of the engine bay as well as the brackets that were not needed anymore…. Easy and quick.

Took off the factory battery terminals and replaced them with upgraded ones with more wire mounting options
Amazon product ASIN B09LYFTPSB
HsjvVh9K2CfAJUVx1FftgJobp2ULUQeLKyVBV082yizsJ3bfkTKdaOQmGtk93L8m7WYGDO0KMblR52ElUJICEhwOjPHGpRkALZsg48vnjLgqaKZ5Ct3h8J1LZqEk6mMJcL0TKW8G9vN7JxZla3d-hsI
HgiD31JMqSGZGdiz9abE9spty79tetbGwttbpc8rSddm1H_StKkhS8uESrMQa91Kul4pCivkQcMZT-MYjtEworNcxx-H72MSV9vBzJQkySAN8UXhCx3gVUoPsqF7C0g42Hay_IPEkFrNy2T3RJEyDEc

My only complaint about these was that both covers are the same. I think it would have been MUCH cooler if one of the covers was red or at least tinted red. I made due with making sure the power cable was a big honking red one.

Next was the test fitting of the tray to hold the compressor. There are not a ton of different options out there, at least not when I was shopping around but I decided to use the blank option from Power Trays and I am very pleased with it!
Blank PowerTray > 4Runner/ FJ Cruiser/ GX - https://www.powertrays.com/collections/gx470/products/1-blank-powertray

Blank PowerTray > 4Runner/ FJ Cruiser/ GX
LQ0czuPA9RVGvHH70ON2q1m9nQSuc4F_zoxcxXpvSFgEDw1NNalMHFntO9uUtgujnTxAknMjJOYBN4g_bp8btc9zo8DDxQ-9Mro2Fe8YAKTNzCKTP3Q3NqtHYu6Kq719s6fPaiI1V84Gi0JxZ_uCYEM

It’s hard to screw up just a piece of Aluminium but it is nicely made with eased edges and it fits perfectly in its spot. Also it was very easy to drill our mounting holes exactly where we wanted them and didn’t have to use any premade layout since the parts I was using were not any of the options they had predone. Just remember to use the right bits and step bits as well as put a center punch in BEFORE drilling!

Fist step was the test fitting and putting everything where it would be mounted. We did this in the actual engine bay so we could also test for hood clearance at the same time. After a few changes and turns we had it all set. Then it was time to drill….. And drill… a total of 12 holes for everything to be mounted and to run wires through as well.

t8uiFdNrgr5WzVeXlXsJi7MPFmNoXEBOpEv7G_3YtqKXVOlJ76S136YQJc-ABfsVqjVKBI81haWucy8ErY1OhcMarf6vrPIlKvoeiJBvESBHe4iAPsRJQTWIvj2DMqwrmeN3DWaxiZ0CmsMQce56e2g
YCdrES3DOOBg1KBhH4LUOQLPNoMxLaAfgoA1JCQU9fvWDEKVNSgpEWaF9AToHVDR596JhGoTSEcL3Q5HG0mbgTscofWBt9vQDilFGdlBqsWHN1bXM_R2iyh8tCtHyyBvGzkFDBTyUWqZ15rXgQJmRw4

Now with the ARB compressor installed we also put in a Blue Sea Systems 5025 Fuse block to help clean up some of the wiring that was in place for the Diode Dynamics S3 Ditch lights and to also make any future wiring installs easier with a single point to run all power to and from.
Amazon product ASIN B000THQ0CQ
We drilled two holes on the side of the fuse block to run cables from underneath and keep the area as clean and neat as possible. To avoid any rubbing issues we put two small rubber grommets in to hold the wires off the edges and to also give it a cleaner finished look.

Once everything is mounted to the Power Tray it is back to the engine bay…

XIiQwIz_usBl3suGVSShrZ7TRQA7oFCgynzEIx6pmWh7PPlyBMspnQGWodRI7VIkxHwFRnR4i2tlaYuulivTWEzXUoVlDQugCqA23lVIqd2ZXxDmQ90HiH5am4RJoC6n3b0UXBDINI8gfePZ4YlnRrw

With the tray installed we ran the power and negative cables and put in the ring terminals and heat shrinked it all to keep them secure and weather protected and again a finished look.
hjv-lkSkEVeffWhsj4xjIK1PV3btqzldmBs7l60h1IXTX9RWEIIXE5YZfY1QixYHGfiEWB9qpYyRB0SntXZcVnfSM5srdeDrhpDoe0fNPQR5aagWhF1QfDTTUI5XlwSiT3IAU4opuUz6hG_ynN64bIM
VH91yu0j8Qd7ync0uqObWxcfO0MZ5s2HlIh97Nr-CI2jVRVgCNZLHEW1YBlpvK7XABJB1mitKDGzKOgaNXEI6LuQwJcCJ4Wvbbv6sTG3NjevwVp5_9qlVI-NJ2HVyZQEDj1DPVgt893GXxcIw39yGlk

Once we, and by we I mean my buddy Tommy, had it all wired up and knew it all worked Tommy took out the “factory” harness that I had gotten when I bought the unit ( used ) and cut out all the leftover wiring that was not going to be needed. Not running air lockers or anything like that with this setup. Once he had it down to just what we needed and wanted for this everything got taped, loomed and secured out of the way to make for a clean presentation and to keep the engine bay from looking like a rats nest.

I had bought a nice rocker switch to install on the tray but after trying to figure out the best and cleanest way to install it with the tools on hand we opted for a basic round switch that we could simply use a step bit to drill out a proper sized hole for. I might go back at a later date and change it but for now its clean and works just fine. I mounted it on the Power Tray instead of running it into the cabin for a couple of reasons.

1. It is simpler to do it this way
  2. Did not have to worry about where to mount it inside to keep everything looking as factory as possible.
  3. The only time it needs to be use the hood will be open to give the compressor as much open air flow as possible so having the power switch there must make it more convenient, in my mind at least.

xq8XKI5NDTXpQE5qFwBGloBjtXmXaaF2nPSWXdn4U_zFvBMh8dsXTW1XrQBQ2gH6lJCEnj5SapolUx1b9uJhKA4yg7ZmTrbNIijXgc9dlsSpK_n-sD4sddzVlAg7Y9r-bW2SOh9zJuSXilTJHNy_6Tw

… and the finished product!! Everything is wired in and works great. The compressor is ready to go in about 3 seconds after power is turned on!

4wawLqMxqLFRkGYd8Ubjak75N0is9eghuj7SZkI1eFSoTU2slG0UjP-AkOs0Xtia8xrikcIyIF6E8eGpb3zYuhNRB0Ure9U0P6HGLrG2h2uogS3nCjJZDYnhv5vrUViZMG1icISzDjmP5wzuhC8IX5E

had a break in my day and had to run out near the car wash so I swung in to clean up the GX so she looks good for the swap meet and to snap a better finished product photo.
air 16 clean.jpg
air 18 clean.jpg

I'm attempting to swap out my steel cable for a synthetic line on my warn winch. I cannot for the life of me get the cable to budge so I can remove the puck. I'm trying to do this without dropping my SSO front bumper. Any advice you guys provide would be greatly appreciated.

I'm attempting to swap out my steel cable for a synthetic line on my warn winch. I cannot for the life of me get the cable to budge so I can remove the puck. I'm trying to do this without dropping my SSO front bumper. Any advice you guys provide would be greatly appreciated.
It won't free spool or power out?

It won't free spool or power out?

I've got the cable completely spooled out and laying on the driveway. Much to my wife's dismay... I need to disconnect it from the drum which requires me to remove the puck and pull it through to the other side. The problem is I cannot get the cable to budge so I can remove the puck and remove the steel cable. Make sense?

is the end of the cable not bolted onto the drum?

Users who are viewing this thread

• 1MOA
Back
Top Bottom