FJ62 AC Issue - Compressor Cycling On/Off Rapidly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m a month in to new ownership of a 1989 FJ62 and am still working to sort the AC out. When I bought the truck the AC was blowing cool but not cold, my mechanic charged the system (it has been converted to r134a previously but I don’t know any details about when or how thorough the conversion was) and mentioned the expansion valve seemed to be sticking. He replaced the expansion valve (OEM part) and I’m still in a similar situation where the AC intermittently blows cold but is mostly just cool (about 5-10 degrees cooler than with AC off).

I’ve figured out that most of the time my compressor clutch is cycling very rapidly (stays on for just a second or two, off for a second or two and so on) which of course makes cooling the air a challenge. When the clutch does stay engaged, which happens sporadically, the AC blows ice cold (about 40 degrees). My mechanic went thru and charged the system again based on specs I got from Mud, as we thought low Freon may be causing the issue and there were bubbles in the sight glass of the drier. With the system perfectly charged the frequent cycling is still occurring, when the clutch switch is bypassed the clutch stays engaged no problem so not an issue there.

He suggested I may need a new low pressure switch but before I go replacing another part I was hoping to get some input from you guys. Does a faulty low pressure switch seem like a possible culprit? Can the low pressure switch be changed without affecting the charge in the system (I.e. is this something I can do myself pretty easily)? Also is the part listed below correct? Thanks!

95BD9C9A-D6B3-414E-85EC-23BB6A340165.png

Last edited:
I’ve done some more research tonight, sounds like I can jump the wires connecting to the low pressure switch and potentially rule that out? I know normally the low pressure switch just cuts the compressor off completely so not sure if it could be responsible for a rapid cycling issue also.

One other thing to mention is that it hasn’t been overly hot during outside when I’ve been testing my AC but there have been several days in the mid to upper 60s - I assume even at that temp my compressor shouldn’t be cycling off after 1-2 seconds?

Tonight I pulled the fan motor and jumpered the two wires going to the low pressure switch with a paperclip, the frequent cycling of the compressor clutch stopped and the compressor stayed on consistently with the AC switch on. I was pretty excited, left the wires jumpered and put the fan motor back in to test the AC temps.

Unfortunately the intermittent AC issues didn’t resolve even with the compressor staying on consistently. The AC got down to 40 degrees briefly then jumped back up to close to outside air temp. I cycled the AC switch several times and air temps were all over the place. At this point I have to think I have some kind of issue with Freon flow and the low pressure switch is kicking the compressor off for a valid reason. I’m going to defer to my local AC shop at this point and see what they can figure out. I’ll keep this thread updated in case it can help someone else down the road!

Got the 62 back from the AC shop yesterday and air is blowing ice cold with compressor functioning properly!

The problem? The AC drier had ruptured internally and sent sludge thru the entire system restricting Freon flow, they said it was pulling an immediate vacuum as soon as the AC was engaged. That explains the intermittent cooling and short cycling of the compressor as the low pressure switch was detecting an issue and kicking it off.

They replaced the AC drier, completed flushed the system, oiled it and re-charged. Hopefully I’ll be good to go for a long time! I’m glad I spent some time trouble shooting myself and was somewhat on the right track but the moral of this story is sometimes it’s best to punt and pay the experts to solve the problem 😂.

nice to have a/c problems resolved before summer!

nice to have a/c problems resolved before summer!
Absolutely! I’ve got two young kids and took all the window tint off as soon as I bought the cruiser so functioning AC is a must!

Absolutely! I’ve got two young kids and took all the window tint off as soon as I bought the cruiser so functioning AC is a must!
They are absolute greenhouses in the sun. The visibility with all the glass is great... until it gets hot out and then its time to bake. hahaha

They are absolute greenhouses in the sun. The visibility with all the glass is great... until it gets hot out and then its time to bake. hahaha
My 40 windows are untinted also but the 62 has so much more glass, feels like a fishbowl haha. I’m gonna see how things go this summer and may consider a clear ceramic tint, not sure if it would be enough benefit to justify the cost though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom