2000UZJ's Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great you have you back! You keep tabs on your old truck? New one looks awesome.

Thanks @Trunk Monkey! Glad to be back. The last I heard, my old truck was in Homer, Alaska, owned by the musician Zac Brown. I tried a few times to get in touch with his team to see if they wanted to sell it, but never got anywhere. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want my old truck back...it did some things that a 100 shouldn't do...

“2006UZJ” Update:

Noticed the heater T’s were in bad shape. I snagged two from the local dealership and tossed them in.

My heather T’s are in great shape. Can’t say the same about my back.

DD49A55A-C6D6-484F-AE99-6753A5A3CB8E.jpeg

C1C57CAE-DA95-4BF6-B310-87A6D913322A.jpeg

89827EE4-13D9-45F0-9738-C09994409D49.jpeg

In my pursuit to bring this paint partially back to life I’m testing different pads and compounds on some panels. A DA with a microfiber cutting pad set to low speed produces a really nice finish, but does not heat the paint to a point where I’m nervous. I think the results are fantastic. I don’t wanna take any more clear off, but I’m happy with the results taking a “exfoliate” a little method.

2AC5899E-9159-4A13-B25B-3A881E3D6DF7.jpeg

622DFB46-5080-423F-B07A-57D7787FF3B0.jpeg

64246205-E3B2-417E-9200-64BF81FE8532.jpeg

Last edited:
Updates:

Snagged a set of Depo Headlights from my shelf with our in-house halogen bulbs. I’ve got a few sets left if anybody wants to clean up the front end.

Haven’t driven at night yet, but the garage output looks much better.

6B242A93-8979-4E45-B8C3-827BF1B0BE66.jpeg

A93208CB-809B-4B1C-9F22-A51073AE3C70.jpeg

Wrapped up the doors. I had to really step up the cut on the top. The graphics were a challenge but overcame with plenty of liquid and blowing out the pad after each round. You can see the difference between the front and rear door reflection. This was my “50/50” shot before correcting the rear door.

Started on the trim, instantly clogged the pad and ended my night 🤪

6580DE13-6EDE-4736-9FCF-AAED3979AECA.jpeg

91CC0FBC-D5CD-4513-A58D-940771AF59E7.jpeg

7D5BCA59-0C47-43DD-B66E-1C9463D44140.jpeg

5ED3F4CE-0BB4-47FB-AFD5-743AF8F3B4C1.jpeg

6BAD7AB9-562B-4797-BAD6-C7B65BEFF4C8.jpeg

Back in the fold Nick!!! About time. Next time you are in CO, ring me up!

Back in the fold Nick!!! About time. Next time you are in CO, ring me up!

Absolutely! Likewise, if you’re in Atlanta.

We do need to catch up. It’s been what, 9 years since we wheeler together?

It's been a while! I know I was there for some of those adventures with your last 100, and I wouldn't want to buy it back either. :)

Welcome back Nick! Glad to see you happy!

March's Update:

I have been noticing a vibration, and quite a bit of wandering under medium>heavy acceleration. I inspected the steering rack, and concluded that there is *some* play in the rack, but not enough to produce this much wander. I tested the wheel bearings at 12 and 6*o'lcock and Holy :censor: batman...

The wheel bearings on both sides were extremely loose, and the driver side was not performed correctly. The OEM Paper Gasket was missing, along with the lock tabs not tabbed down. The axle nuts where on the threads, but had no torque on them. This was reportedly performed by a Toyota Dealer, and now I'm curious as to how much that RTV Gasket maker was.

Anyways, got those torn down, tightened, greased and back on. The 100 now steers correctly, there is no vibration now, especially at full throttle and I will call this a total success. New Cap over the CV as the previous was smushed so hard it actually had grooves in it from the CV.

IMG_4728.JPG

IMG_4753.JPG

IMG_4752.jpg

Part 1 - Alongside small mechanical things, I've been tackling one of the more challenging paint corrections I've done. Along with "restoring" the interior, which was in my opinion in amazing shape.
  • Exfoliated Paint - 3,000 Wet-Sand ( In Select Areas), Compound (All Areas), and Polish (All Areas)
  • Compounded / Polished Glass to remove hard calcium/iron etching stains from roof rack accessories dripping
  • Steamed carpets, door cards, headliner and any touch points to remove all traces of dirt, oils, and stains
  • Raked OEM Carpet to pull loose fibers and hair (It was insane)
  • Steamed all Leather, and conditioned.
  • Fixed IronMan Bumper alignment. Raised the bumper itself 1", and leveled. It has not been pinned yet, so it did at some point shift in the cradle and was facing down. It looked extremely strange.
She's almost cleaned up! Next up is electrical for accessories!

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

Last edited:
Okie Dokey. It's been a few weeks since the last round of updates. I've got the 100 where I'm happy with it visually, but now I'm turning and focusing on how it drives. I've spent a few weeks under the truck, degreasing and flushing out areas that have 18 years of grime built up.

I have upgraded/replaced the following:
  • Front Sway Bar Links/Bushings (OEM Bushings W/ A/M Links. I found aftermarket links for $20, I'm chasing a pretty nasty clunk on the front and wanted to test the sway bar links as a potential source. The A/M will do for now, but will be updating to extended links soon)
  • Rear Sway Bar Links/Bushings (OEM Bushings)
  • Steering Rack Bushings (SuperPro SPF2987K)
The 100 drives like a dream now. There a ton of bushings that need replacing, the next round is engine and transmission mounts and POR15 to slow the rust that started to build from being out west (Denver). It's not bad, but there is more than I thought after degreasing and pressure washing underneath. I haven't had an issue with any of the bolts, as it appears to be surface only.

I *believe* this is the original rack from 2006, so I knew that poly bushings wouldn't fix all of the issues. However, the 100 tracks dead straight, no more torque steer. The OE bushings were so blown out that the rack would start lifting off the frame and tilting back when turning at full lock.

IMG_5308.JPG

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5429.JPG

IMG_5392.JPG

Last edited:
I've also been spending a little bit of time doing some odds and ends.

The Ironman DRL/Turn Signals were not hooked up, so I decided to start fresh and order a pair of their new DRL/Turn signals which are a single compartment, and simply "clear" when turned off. I'm not a fan of white DRL's, and given I had disabled the OE DRL, I figured I'd run the Ironman LED's in the turn signal mode for the DRL. I whipped up a harness for the DRL's, that plug into the OE harness and ran it in a way that you can't see. It looks 100% Factory, and operates like the OE DRL's.

I finally cleaned the WeatherTech Mats, and put them back in. They needed a solid degrease, and pressure wash to restore them to black. The bumper overrider was ripped off the bumper, so I snagged a pair and tossed them on. It looks much better, I don't think I even have a picture of them...

Lastly, our pup enjoying a nice lounge while we wait on pizza after a nice hike :)

IMG_5112.JPG

Screenshot 2023-04-07 at 10.32.38 AM.png

IMG_5225.JPG

Looking great! I see the pup is a chick Fil a fan :)

Amazing work on the paint. I just redid the motor mounts on mine and it was a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom