Temporary Rust Protection? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m taking my family and my 200 on a road trip soon to some snowy locales, and I’m a bit concerned about protecting my truck from corrosion. As a southern California guy I’ve never really looked into it before, and while I know stuff like fluid film exists, I really don’t want to coat the entire underside in a layer of black gunk that’ll make working on it a slimy goopy mess in the future. The truck is really clean underneath and I’d like to keep it that way. Is there an easy temporary corrosion protector I can spray on? Has anyone used the PB Blaster surface shield or WD40 corrosion protector stuff?

There's nothing that you can apply that will last through the trip without also staying past it's welcome.

Just wash it down really well when you get back and any corrosion you get at all will be a 0.05 on a scale of 100. These rigs are meant to be driven!

If it’s black you may be thinking of Wool Wax. I have both and WW is gunkier and may stay on the truck longer than FF.

A few spray cans of FF before the trip and a trip or two to the car wash or a home pressure washer after will get rid of most of it. The label says using a pressure washer with warm soapy water will remove the product.

That’s a warning on the label.

It'll be okay. Some of us live in this horrific land with salted roads and our vehicles last years. :) Fluid Film would probably be the way to go, and it'll cost several hundred dollars. You could also hit the car wash and be fine. I doubt it is going to rust out from beneath you on a brief trip.

Fluid Film was available in regular and black last time I looked.

This guy did a few good experiments on his channel over time, but thankfully i no longer have to deal with rust.

Here is one of the latest.

Sounds like I’m being over cautious, I’ll just make sure to give the underside a good pressure washing when I get home. Thanks all!

This stuff is awesome and not too messy:

shopping

No more of the politics, guys. Keep things on topic.

I run a very small undercoating operation and have tried all the coatings. Woolwax, fluid film, blaster surface shield, cosmoline, etc. I always go back to fluid film black for it's ease of use and it's "creep" quality over the other lanolin waxes. Surface prep is key - I mix salt away, a heavy de-greaser, and dish soap as a surfactant as a pre cleaner before applying undercoating

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom