HDJ80 maintenance and modification thread - another one... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a repost from the general 80 section. Maybe more appropiate here 😉

I was thinking about keeping this private and then I figured, I might as well share in my endeavors as I go, as well as keep track of what I did and when... So I finally got my 1995 HDJ80 24 valve delivered from the Canary Islands. It is a manual for the 2nd owner, with all 3 diff locks, sunroof, cloth seats and 440000 kms. The interior is very good, as is the engine and the body. However, it has quite a bit of maintenance backlog, as not much was done to it in the last 10 years or so, except for the most crucial points. This is what it looked like:

20221007_201301.jpg

I had Toyota in the Canaries do the most pressing issues, but there is still quite a list of things that need to be done. Here is what has been done at that time:
  • General revision:
    • Replace engine oil and filter
    • Replace air filter
    • Replace fuel filter
    • Replace gas filter
    • Replace windshield wipers front and back
    • Replace oil pressure sensor
  • Complete brake replacement front and back with Toyota discs, pads and fluid
  • Remove, rebuild and re-install the OEM turbo charger
  • Replace the L+R front window sub assembly (scissor mechanism)
  • Replace left front door weather stripping
  • Replace left front door rubber moulding
  • Re-upholster the steering wheel in light grey leather
When it got here (Germany) it was winter and the installed summer tires were in bad shape, so I had them replaced by:
  • General Grabber AT2 - 285/75 x 16
There is more to come, but I am waiting for the registration to complete and the I will go forward with the rest, which will include replacing all bushings, installing an OME package +50mm, installing a 3" exhaust, replacing some bearings around the rear diff, replacing the high pressure steering hose, installing a new A/C compressor and a complete front axle overhaul including new birfs. That should deplete my bank account for now. After that, I will focus on making it into an overland vehicle. That is the plan... Here is how it sits now:

y4mPiof1TxddLlKlBHm3SnwEz7lZiz4HzQUKEpBoG_A2LutAbjwQRKqc6701S-aJ2KUXFQYxgnjY66ScZmyHvVS2Hc-7vJ...jpg

Looks like a great starting point! If it's helpful, I recently installed a 3" Legendex exhaust on my HDJ81. I'm very happy with the quality.

Nice! looks like a clean rig. where in Germany are you? I just got my HDJ80 last month and live near Kaiserslautern. have you found any good parts sources locally? i’ve been ordering everything on partsouq and the import taxes are killing me haha.

How much? Any more there?

Nice! looks like a clean rig. where in Germany are you? I just got my HDJ80 last month and live near Kaiserslautern. have you found any good parts sources locally? i’ve been ordering everything on partsouq and the import taxes are killing me haha.
I am close to Trier. Parts is a problem alright. I am ordering from Amayama. Prices are OK and a lot of the parts also come from the UAE. Ordering parts here is useless and expensive. Too many parties have to profit from them, before they get to you...

How much? Any more there?
Expect to pay around 15000 EUR. Sky is the limit of course... But the rigs there usually have very little rust, whuch is a big plus. There are still quite few available, but most are high milage, of course. But you need a LOT of patience, if you want buy something there 😉

Expect to pay around 15000 EUR. Sky is the limit of course... But the rigs there usually have very little rust, whuch is a big plus. There are still quite few available, but most are high milage, of course. But you need a LOT of patience, if you want buy something there 😉
Hmmm... no rust left hand drive goes for 30k here. So add in cargo to Halifax... evens out.

Hmmm... no rust left hand drive goes for 30k here. So add in cargo to Halifax... evens out.
I think, that if you are willing to put in the leg work and have some patience, it will usually pay off. You will have to do some preventive maintenance, of course, in most cases.

How did you purchase the 3" Legendex exhaust? I tried to buy from them but noticed they didn't ship to US. Would love to get one for mine.
I used Superior Engineering out of Australia.
Ben@superiorengineering.com.au
Very happy with the product, but it is very quiet. You might consider ordering the "berserker" pipe if you want it to actually make noise.
I mostly did it to drop temperatures. I always do large exhausts on my diesels.

Sooo, I finally got around to doing some more small stuff.

I got some Rosen sunvisors, that were easy enough to install. So far, we had no sun to speak of to try them out though. The clarity is great and the tint is like I know them. So should be just fine.
20230813_194152.jpg

20230813_194209.jpg

20230813_194217.jpg

I also got the 3D printed dual cupholder from BH3D Printing. The fit was not great because my version of the manual center console does not support it, but with 2 spacers it worked fine though. Good quality and price.

20230813_202418.jpg

I had to put in new headlights, since the left one had a hole in it and the TÜV did not like that... I wanted to upgrade to one piece units wit LED, but the TÜV did not like that either... PITA 🤮
In the end I opted for DEPO units and they fit - or just about anyway. For some reason, the grill atachment screwholes are completely off. But nothing that a tierep can't fix 😉
Since I was in there, I figured I should put in the SLEE headlight harness upgrade and Aux light harness. Very nicely made, but unfortunately I did not check that my headlights are H1/H4 and the harness is 9005/9006 😂😂 So I made some adapters and now it all fits and works. Still have to drive in the dark to see if it makes a difference though.
And, since everything was dismantled, I chose to black out the grill and all the chrome. Will be putting on a new black bumper soon, so it should fit nicely.

20230829_132203.jpg

20230829_161932.jpg

Today I wanted to straighten out the steering wheel, but it was too tight to get it off without a puller, so it has to wait till I can get one.
I also ordered a new steering shaft seal, because the old one was completely shot... That was not too hard and 30 min later all was well again. Just crappy to work under the dash with next to no space for the elbows...😂

New seal in place
20230905_163246.jpg

Old vs new...
20230905_161638.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom