Sway bar options for LX470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks, couple Qs regarding sway bars.

I want to go to something stiffer to reduce body roll, and I don't care about the possible reduction in articulation.

@ClassyJalopy suggested the LC rear sway bar.

Q1: The bushings will need to change, but do the brackets stay the same? Do I need to take it from a particular MY of the LC?

Q2: Is there anything else I should do at the same time? The end links SEEMED to be pretty intact, but what is the way to tell?

Q3: Other rear sway bar options? Whiteline? TRD?

I just looked this up as well. Whiteline doesn't carry anything specifically for the LX, just for the LC. Seemed like a possible option.

I just looked this up as well. Whiteline doesn't carry anything specifically for the LX, just for the LC. Seemed like a possible option.

Hmm isn't the stock LX bar already 24mm? Would this really be any stiffer?

EDIT: Or maybe the stock LC bar is 24mm, in which case either the LC or Whiteline would be a similar increase in stiffness.

Last edited:
Other apparent alternatives, all 27mm. I believe Whiteline USED to make a 27mm.

Nolathane

Superpro

Ultra Racing

Last edited:
Just went out and measured..
Stock LX 23 mm
Stock LC 24 mm

4% increase in diameter...

27mm would be 17% increase in diameter.

Just went out and measured..
Stock LX 23 mm
Stock LC 24 mm

4% increase in diameter...

27mm would be 17% increase in diameter.
But does a 4% increase in diameter equal a 4% increase in stiffness?

But does a 4% increase in diameter equal a 4% increase in stiffness?
No the stiffness is based on the radius squared or something like that.

Here's a handy chart:

So basically
23 -> 24 = 17% increase in stiffness
23 -> 27 = 90% increase

Now that we put it that way... 90% sounds like alot. Do I really want almost double the stiffness? Might put a lot more wear on the bushings of the rest of the suspension...

Also it appears that the Whiteline 24 mm bar has three points and that if you use the alternative points then it's similar to adding or subtracting 1 mm to the diameter.. meaning that you could potentially choose between a bar that's anywhere from 23-24-25mm in stiffness. Might be a good option. *BUT I can't tell if it will fit the LX - just emailed them.

EDIT: Answer from Whiteline:
"Looking up the BTR94Z, this will fit the 100 Series Landcruiser/LX470"

Last edited:
Im running Whiteline Sway bars, Front+Rear... installed about 10 yrs ago... they were discontinued later (as far as I knew).
Paired with 2" lift, and extended endlinks (trail tailor, etc).

I probably get a bit more wheel lift on obstacles, but I still get through everything I tried... plus on-road handling is nice.
I have a set of stock LC100 swaybars I might experiement with... but my gameplan at the moment, is to setup an way to quick disconnect the front bar before going on trail, and easy re-connect (this is the annoying part).

Nolathane is basically Whiteline painted a different color (red). They are sister brands. I put their sways on the front and rear of my 99 LC about five years ago. I've been very happy with them. Definitly reduced body motions through turns. I'm running them on stock endlinks with no lift.

Nolathane is basically Whiteline painted a different color (red). They are sister brands. I put their sways on the front and rear of my 99 LC about five years ago. I've been very happy with them. Definitly reduced body motions through turns. I'm running them on stock endlinks with no li
So do you have a lot of weight on your truck, and are your bars 27mm? Cause on a stock rig I would have thought 27 might be excessively rigid.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you have stock LX torsion bars with AHC removed?
Not me, I have stock LX with AHC. Definitely if AHC was removed I'd also want the LC torsion bars.

Alright another question;

The end of the stock LX bar is rounded and pretty thick - 18 mm. Are the aftermarket bars also this thick, and if not, is that going to cause a problem? Wouldn't they be too loose in the stock end links?

1678513954912.png

Alright another question;

The end of the stock LX bar is rounded and pretty thick - 18 mm. Are the aftermarket bars also this thick, and if not, is that going to cause a problem? Wouldn't they be too loose in the stock end links?

View attachment 3269155
Youre correct, aftermarket bars are not that thick.. and the endlinks are too wide... I use washer to fill in the gap.

^ Thanks. I think I'm going for the 24 mm LC rear bar - since everyone says just refreshing the rubber makes a big difference, I figured just going up to LC spec sway bar should give just a little bit more rigidity, and that should be plenty.

No the stiffness is based on the radius squared or something like that.

Here's a handy chart:

So basically
23 -> 24 = 17% increase in stiffness
23 -> 27 = 90% increase

Now that we put it that way... 90% sounds like alot. Do I really want almost double the stiffness? Might put a lot more wear on the bushings of the rest of the suspension...

Also it appears that the Whiteline 24 mm bar has three points and that if you use the alternative points then it's similar to adding or subtracting 1 mm to the diameter.. meaning that you could potentially choose between a bar that's anywhere from 23-24-25mm in stiffness. Might be a good option. *BUT I can't tell if it will fit the LX - just emailed them.

EDIT: Answer from Whiteline:
"Looking up the BTR94Z, this will fit the 100 Series Landcruiser/LX470"
I don't think you'll experience much difference with the 1mm increase with the LC rear sway bar. Personally, I'd go with a matched pair (Front and Rear). SuperPro offers both. I tried to find an installed picture of that Whiteline "Three Points" bar but couldn't. I don't know if it is possible using the OE links.

I just bought the SuperPro rear bar, and I'll check back here after I install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom