Big Brakes - 14 Inch Rotors Wilwood Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think I've ever seen a rotor/hat combo keyed, so I think it would be safe. That said, since you would be cutting down an oem rotor, you could key it I suppose, even safer-er

I didn't read all 9 pages closely, so if this was mentioned please point it out to me.

Are the rotors keyed in any way to the hat, or is the OP relying solely on those 12 or so bolts loaded in shear to keep the rotor attached to the hub? I didn't see any keys being placed in the original set of pictures.

The rotor is not floating. The bolts (10 of them) are torqued and produce a force between the hat and the rotor. The small tabs on the rotor have slightly knurled surface. The bolt torque and friction between the two surfaces is adequate to prevent movement. There is no need to key and this type of rotor is not designed to be installed with a key.

I replaced the single piston rear caliper with a 4-piston Wilwood.
Fusion_Screen.jpg
20230217_133358 copy.jpg
20230217_133414 copy.jpg
20230217_133740 copy.jpg
20230217_133753 copy.jpg

Cool! would you mind showing how your bracket matches up with the factory caliper mounts @1FZj80 ?

dunno? I could make a few but they would have to be sold by a business (for obvious liability reasons). do you think there is any demand?
I really need to match my rears with the front Wilwoods, just don't have the time. I would be interested but that is a bummer you have to cut up the PB plate assembly to get it to fit.
I see you added a 3rd thread to the new plate. Any reason you didn't bolt that also?
1678473880040.png

Any chance you want to share your drawing of the plate so I could have someone local make it?

this is OEM, pre cut:
1678474030330.png

yeah, I agree on cutting up the backplate, but there is no other good option and the benefit of a 4-piston caliper was worth it for me. I generally don't permanently alter the original design so that my mod can be removed and it is possible to go back to the stock setup, but that is not really possible here.

All 3 bolts are used. I just didn't have all of them installed when doing my r&d and when taking that photo.

I might be willing to share the dwg...??? Or, I could make a few but don't know how to distribute without any liability? I suspect there are only a few forum members that would be interested in doing this.

The alternative to cutting the tabs on the backplate is to separate the three pieces of the backplate (back plate piece, dust shield and front sheet metal) by drilling out the rivets and machining a completely new backplate and reassembling the whole thing. I just didn't think this was worth the time and effort. Although it would be nice to have a fully machined back plate vs. the stamped steel piece used in the oem design.

yeah, I agree on cutting up the backplate, but there is no other good option and the benefit of a 4-piston caliper was worth it for me. I generally don't permanently alter the original design so that my mod can be removed and it is possible to go back to the stock setup, but that is not really possible here.

All 3 bolts are used. I just didn't have all of them installed when doing my r&d and when taking that photo.

I might be willing to share the dwg...??? Or, I could make a few but don't know how to distribute without any liability? I suspect there are only a few forum members that would be interested in doing this.
I’ll buy a set to use as paper weights.😉

Cutting the plate will turn many away but I agree on keeping it simple in this case. You could probably just pull the rotor and modify it on the axle even. The way you reinforced it was a good idea and looks solid to me. A full plate would be ideal but I'm liking it more seeing the additional bolt securing the bracket.

For the drawing, please give it some thought. PM me if you like, I'm interested here. I would even be interested in buying the brackets.

Nice work!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom