What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After peddling it out on the exercise bike, I spent some time wiping off the dirty stuff...

IMG_2153.jpg

Replaced the coolant fluid today - thanks to this forum I picked up some great tipps in advance making the job a lot easier!!

Would anybody have a suggestion where I could get the plastic overflow tube that goes into the expansion reservoir?

View attachment 3265833View attachment 3265835
Flushing in progress!
CityRacer!

Small 1/4” drive impact driver snapped a hub bolt after a couple clicks snugging it. Had no intention of tightening them with it. Old bolt was probably stretched from previous rebuild. Broke fairly deep in the wheel hub due to gap before the threads start in the wheel hub. Tacked it to build a stud and used vice grips to loosen.

First attempt welded to the sides in two spots. Ground the weld flat. Then used and sharp, round punch to break the shallow welds. Second attempt built a good stud to grab with the vice grips.

4A056C24-052C-43AF-8630-D8905E7969C3.jpeg

CityRacer!

You also may want to check into this for burping/filling radiator:

EPAuto Spill Proof Radiator Coolant Filling Funnel Kit​

Amazon product ASIN B01I40ZQWE

Interesting kit.
I’m pretty much done by now though.
Just make sure it’s been thoroughly burped or it will tend to overheat (or at least show it’s overheating on the instrument panel gauge) at the least opportune times. Been there, done that….

Just make sure it’s been thoroughly burped or it will tend to overheat (or at least show it’s overheating on the instrument panel gauge) at the least opportune times. Been there, done that….
Any tipps on how to additionally burp it / get air out?
I thought it’s pretty much self-bleeding while running? I just keep refilling whenever I see the level dropping in the overflow canister.

I thought it’s pretty much self-bleeding while running? I just keep refilling whenever I see the level dropping in the overflow canister.
I always park on a slight incline with the radiator higher than the engine when I refill the cooling system. Kind of burps itself as the fill neck is at the highest point. Works every time.

I always park on a slight incline with the radiator higher than the engine when I refill the cooling system. Kind of burps itself as the fill neck is at the highest point. Works every time.

CK is spot on. ^^^^ Get the wheels up. ;)

But, I’d rethink the “Burp kit”. It’s Inexpensive (about 20 sheckles), Wally World, NAPA or Amazon for the adventurous, all carry it. Simple to use, cheap and effective. :banana:

Buy the kit shown in the previous post.

I used to do the park on an incline thing but then wised up and use the filler kit.

Wish I had seen this post over the weekend. Changed out all cooling system hoses, thermostat, water pump and fan belt. Had a heck of a time getting enough coolant back into it. Tried so many things, and it definitely wanted to overheat (didn’t let it of course). In the end I took a break from it, let it sit a day, and poof….took another 1+Gal and thermostat opened. Left me scratching my head for sure!

C2CAD203-C3FA-4620-ABE0-F44BD283EA7F.jpeg

Getting air out of the heater hose that runs from the head to the firewall is the challenging part, it’s often the high point of the system.

With respect to burping the cooling system.
I loosen the thermosensor on the head, next to the carb. No need to remove it, just allow the air to escape and a little coolant bubble out. That and the spill proof coolant fill kit have made this task easy and straight forward. I will also gently squeeze the upper radiator hose, purging any air trapped there.

It's been awhile since I posted in here. Making progress on the LV. Right now it's little things and gearing up for the Sniper conversion which I hope to start later this month. For now, I was able to get rid of my clapped out Rancho 9000s in favor of the 5100 series Bilsteins. What a difference!

The other thing was purely cosmetic. I bought a leather steering wheel wrap from Wheelskins. It was tedious work but well worth the effort and sore fingers. "I got blisters on me fingers!"

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

With respect to burping the cooling system.
I loosen the thermosensor on the head, next to the carb. No need to remove it, just allow the air to escape and a little coolant bubble out. That and the spill proof coolant fill kit have made this task easy and straight forward. I will also gently squeeze the upper radiator hose, purging any air trapped there.
When you squeeze the upper radiator hose - should that be full of fluid so that you cannot squeeze it anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom