Coastal Offroad Bumper Kits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, it was specifically the hinges, but they figured if i were to buy them and upgrade the hinges I may as well just buy it all from scratch. In the end I did a Becky to carry the spare, but mostly for quality of life. They also all said opening both swingout and door on a regular basis gets to you, and quite a few of their clients came back to have swingouts removed eventually.

This seems to be the best Coastal OR rear bumper thread (that I've found).
not hijacking (well maybe a little), just supporting a centralized location (unless there's another better thread... maybe one for rousing interest for a group buy?? 🤔 )

Shout-out to All y'all GX, Coastal rear bumper owners!! 🤘 😈 🤘

What are your experiences thus far?
I'm weighing a victory vs a Coastal. Both have pros and cons.

What are you observations wishes, props for the Coastal?

Does anyone have it without the tire swing-out running the spare underneath?
What are people's preferred coating systems: rattle can, PC, bedliner, POR-bedliner-rattle can, etc?
Does the rear plate configuration gather mud and debris? It looks like it would seal off like a defuser, but in offroading could catch/holed debris...
I initiated a conversation with Coastal (Daniel) in Jan, but they've stopped replying to email :-/
Maybe a call is past due (caveat: in typical DRANGED fashion, I'm nerding out on overly specific details... :meh: )

@Burner01 As the demo rig, what are your long-term impressions and can you speak to the incremental improvements through time that Brandon's made?
@Bluetribal 4-5 years in? comments/concerns/complaints/commendations/observations?
@CO_Hunter almost 4 years in. same question ;) long-term review of your steps? I like this idea!
@equalme (I know my comments are way old for you guys) I saw in a 4R thread the guy just drilled a hole to account for the body mount bolt, i know coastal says to cut/grind it.
@Kelevra what are your observations, 4 years in?? Did you go with their single swing-out option? observations on fit and finish through time?
@bestcoast470 same same, your observations, 4 years in? how'd your swing-out turn out? How do you like their hitch?
@estoddart Props for easy access to Branson ;) I assume your efforts helped him figure out the compatibility of his swing-outs with the Gobi? I think the site says they work, tire side falls short of the ladder, and the Jeri can swing-out is spaced well to not interfere with Gobi. Observations?
@estoddart post 147: great pic of inside structure?! Can you recall if the piece #5 (main core of shackle point) boxes around the corner of the GX's frame? Would it be possible and a good idea to drill a hole and bolt that part TO the frame?? If so, would it make sense to make THAT piece thicker and open the slot in the faceplate (#4 from the instructions)?
@nhltfour34 Nice go getting a built rig!! Sweet, with the ladder, coastal AND swing-out? What are your ownership experiences? I had same question RE: doing something with plate rather than retaining the plastic trim of the bumper (mine's damaged).
@CarolinaGX I dig your solution to the above question! it looks great, any observations RE: body flex and contact or abrasion b/t plate trim and body?

PeVzFX0fiKjl7RUirHr4FNkWIo4PW5YCWtWd1N4KWQNto_f_DxF0yeMuCcX_SrMQLe0TRqDJvmhLkMIVK8bkA6rGICB6BRFcYHY-IL4Tb4y4WFnUxXtbJx9Gqktcm3pcXSpXFqGsy4Z-ApvF9H0WXR0
_TUA7l-CRKflV_w9p57UmarQOJqg9k_1pV22QDZYZ0AhNS0yP1msaqP5ph-Gatty4L2Dp7AlH7pzY7sNMs0kt-z5LhKSTGT2HbwPupyDHIqZuUtUKkvutq77_3_6hLg66aASh15iiInhVxvGNIh7PlQ

G50FMxIHxBzYbajKEkjfNAGwnSJK0dzBWshMq8zZWVxQIH-pSQwWsa-DBdErM2tsFIumJQkPRDL6NB6eFhmNKvJMfYLLkLfa_mSVPw7miH0ZP_hVMpIul4gNgN9VyNWwa4wH3EKZW9gSSW7-FenSstg

with comments, OF COURSE, EVERYONE LOES PHOTOS TOO! 🤘 😈 🤘

Last edited:
Now that I've wheeled them... I would have just bought a cheap gun and sprayed them with tremclad or something cheap (after a sandblast.) But, I'm using them, dragging the rear end, pushing the nose up/over stuff, etc.

Not a whole lot to say other than I’m happy with the rear bumper. Glad I got the long arm single, swing out. Used POR15, details in my build thread. The new hinge style is stout and haven’t had any problems since I did the retrofit, but I don’t use if often fully loaded with both cans. I also remove cans at camp. I have towed a fully loaded 6x12’ uHaul trailer over 1000 miles without issue using the Coastal hitch. The steps are handy for working on the rack or putting away RTT. Props again to Brandon at Coastal for being so responsive.

Let me see:

-You could easily have this bumper and a spare tire in the OEM location. Just depends on the tire size, but the OEM hitch takes up more room than the bumper.
-You COULD bolt the rear plate to the frame's cross bar but I see no reason for it. This bumper bolt to the frame in more places than the OEM tow hitch.
-I started with rattle can and after a year or so, and some modifications, I had it RinoLined. I think rattle is just fine. The Rino added more weight and the thickness of it messed with remounting a little.
-I started with a single, short, swingout. I wasn't 100% happy with the Hem joints so I replaced with a 4x4inovations swingout hinge and latch, and made a full length swingout arm. It's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom