What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found a leak in the rear cargo area =|

It’s not the usual suspects like rear quarter window moulding.

Pulled everything out of the cargo area: carpet, carpet padding, side wall trim pieces…everything.

Carpet was only wet in the center along where it meets the weather stripping for the door. No metal was wet after pulling all the carpet out. No water dripping down the sides of the interior walls or pooling anywhere.

I peeled back the weather stripping, and the inside of it was soak and gunky. Looks like the sealant inside turned to liquid. Have some rust now in spots where the weather stripping attaches to the body.

Weather stripping is pretty new, too. Replaced it in 2019 when I bought the car. No damage to the weather stripping anywhere. Still pliable and swollen rubber.

Seems like water was getting under the weather stripping and running along the body.

Removed the weather stripping. Cleaned it thoroughly since it was nasty and grimy. Re-applied the weather stripping and sprayed the car down heavy with the hose.

Peeled back the weather stripping, and water is pooling.

View attachment 3255321View attachment 3255322

Sides of the body are bone dry. Can’t figure out where the water is entering the weather stripping
pain in the ass
This is more common than you think. As you’ve seen, the channel is deep and gets mud/gunk in it. Then water comes up from behind the bumper and gets in the weather stripping and because it’s got dirt/mud, it stays wet and well you get rust. I live in cali and have done some bumper builds and I see it it almost every gx. Buy the small POR 15 kit and it will keep it from spreading or getting worse.

5744842B-862B-466C-8F1B-2031B15A5A04.jpeg

This is more common than you think. As you’ve seen, the channel is deep and gets mud/gunk in it. Then water comes up from behind the bumper and gets in the weather stripping and because it’s got dirt/mud, it stays wet and well you get rust. I live in cali and have done some bumper builds and I see it it almost every gx. Buy the small POR 15 kit and it will keep it from spreading or getting worse.

View attachment 3259628
Basically what I did. Ordered a new weatherstrip because the inside of the old one was nasty - liquified adhesive, bits of rust, etc - and sanded down the entire mounting surface. Painted it yesterday. Going back today with a brush to get some of the underside spots that I couldn’t hit with the spray can.

Got permatex weather strip adhesive. Will apply that and install the new weatherstrip on Wednesday. Hopefully that takes care of the issue.

There was a surprising amount of rust damage. Florida and Georgia car its whole life. Almost no frame rust, but the area under that weather strip was bad. Glad I got to it when I did.

Got my hitch wiring harness and resistors…but there’s nowhere to attach the hitch plug on the underside of the vehicle. The bracket that came with it is pretty useless. The tech support from e-trailer said to “duct tape or zip tie it to the hitch”.

Ended up bolting it to the bumper fascia. Will try and fab up something to tuck the plug in a similar spot to where the oem bracket goes. Try and keep it above the hitch and under the truck.

This will work for now.

44FA66E9-4F8E-435E-AB73-9BCEFACD0765.jpeg

Last edited:
installed the 2 relays sunder the hood and the big green one in the back for the trailer wiring harness. Tested everything with a trailer light led tester: all works!

Tomorrow will finish sanding and painting the lip in the rear, then install new weather stripping.

Y’all think I should add a thin bead of weather stripping sealant? I’ve seen mixed answers on Toyota forums as to weather folks recommend using it.

Which one? Lol

It’s for the silver 470 on the street not the white 460
silver on street, from browsing on my phone I thought the white 460 was a forester. 🤭

Done so much on the Ironman bumper install……….. installed some Hellas, fairlead, and tapped off the hood cut. The bumper will be cut tomorrow then probably not being installed for another 1-2 weeks :(
68601A14-2D65-4056-BA5E-F2FB0764A87A.jpeg

A5F0340A-64A4-454F-A152-7A7C1E10A9AA.jpeg

Done so much on the Ironman bumper install……….. installed some Hellas, fairlead, and tapped off the hood cut. The bumper will be cut tomorrow then probably not being installed for another 1-2 weeks :(View attachment 3265022
View attachment 3265021
Square Hellas are a nice change from the norm. I like how the bumper includes the LED fogs now. I had to pay extra when I got mine a few years ago, but they are completely worth it over the old halogen H3 bulbs.

What's the approximate total weight on the Ironman? I've heard 200# plus. Certainly a nice bumper and I do like the idea of it being airbag-integrated.

What's the approximate total weight on the Ironman? I've heard 200# plus. Certainly a nice bumper and I do like the idea of it being airbag-integrated.
119LBS of additional vehicle weight after removing OEM parts and installing the Ironman 4x4 Bumper according to Ironman. Add some lights and a winch and you're coming right up to the 200lb mark.

119LBS of additional vehicle weight after removing OEM parts and installing the Ironman 4x4 Bumper according to Ironman. Add some lights and a winch and you're coming right up to the 200lb mark.

I am wondering if my ome 885s will be enough, but I do have some 887s just in case.

cut my bumper for the hood, hopefully enough to clear.

44D8D702-25C3-496F-94C1-0A01B7FCB114.jpeg

Picked up the Lil B’s from powder coating. Scratch on the front is from the drive home. Powder coating was a steal: $200 for sand blasting, powder coating, and turned it around in a week.

Making wiring harnesses for the lights and doing the install this weekend. Gotta pull the coilovers to swap to new icon HD springs.

89474684-DDEF-4351-A88F-A4EFF9FA7FF9.jpeg

Picked up the Lil B’s from powder coating. Scratch on the front is from the drive home. Powder coating was a steal: $200 for sand blasting, powder coating, and turned it around in a week.

Making wiring harnesses for the lights and doing the install this weekend. Gotta pull the coilovers to swap to new icon HD springs.
Looking forward to seeing what it looks like installed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom