Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Help me out here so I can understand what's going on. Why did that section need to be cut out? Did it not align with that tab? What year is your LC?

Thanks for posting about this. I've sold quite a few of these and haven't really gotten any fitment complaints after I started cutting the corner of the spindle off. But had a couple people say they had problems just this week. Trying to figure it out

To sum up the fitment issues, I think what's going on is the frame mount is a tight fit underneath the plastic, so any small bend/misalignment in any of the bumper pieces can possibly cause the plastic to hit the bottom of the frame mount. I am going to make the relief larger on the frame mount to help give some extra room for misalignment. But It's kind of the nature of the beast trying to make everything work with the factory components. It doesn't take much of a hit to the bumper to move things around underneath.

To future installers, I would recommend doing a test fit before painting just to make sure everything has clearance and prevent aggravation if it's a bit tight and scratches during assembly.

Thanks for the feedback and reports! I can't fix problems and improve if I don't know they exist!

In other news, I've been test fitting the new swing out arm. The first one came out real nice. Hoping to have it available soon.

I am also working on a mechanism to limit the swing out from opening too far and lock it open. We tried many configurations with gas struts but I could not make it work reliably. What I'm working on now is a metal linkage very similar to the linkage on the tailgate but with a locking feature so you can keep the swing out locked open. Several of you made a great point that the swingout really needs to stay open if adding a second arm, so I want to nail this down before releasing the second arm.

Here are some pictures of the second arm. The idea is to provide a base and then other things can be bolted to it. The first thing that will be offered is a basket like mount that can hold 2 jerry cans and a hilift jack. I plan to develop other things down the line. There are mounting holes all over this thing if you want to try and find other accessories to fit or build your own.
IMG_20230217_190310299.jpg
IMG_20230217_191020387_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230217_191548712_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230217_194321845.jpg
IMG_20230217_192657158_HDR.jpg

To sum up the fitment issues, I think what's going on is the frame mount is a tight fit underneath the plastic, so any small bend/misalignment in any of the bumper pieces can possibly cause the plastic to hit the bottom of the frame mount. I am going to make the relief larger on the frame mount to help give some extra room for misalignment. But It's kind of the nature of the beast trying to make everything work with the factory components. It doesn't take much of a hit to the bumper to move things around underneath.

To future installers, I would recommend doing a test fit before painting just to make sure everything has clearance and prevent aggravation if it's a bit tight and scratches during assembly.

Thanks for the feedback and reports! I can't fix problems and improve if I don't know they exist!
Matt and I have emailed about my fitment issues and he has be very willing to help with ideas. In the end I determined that because my Cruiser took a small hit to the driver rear bumper (in its previous life) it was enough to cause issues with clearance of the plastic bumper extension and the GGM spindle mount. I’ve ordered an all new piece—hopefully it will arrive soon so and that will be the end of my woes.

Reactions: GGM
In other news, I've been test fitting the new swing out arm. The first one came out real nice. Hoping to have it available soon.

I am also working on a mechanism to limit the swing out from opening too far and lock it open. We tried many configurations with gas struts but I could not make it work reliably. What I'm working on now is a metal linkage very similar to the linkage on the tailgate but with a locking feature so you can keep the swing out locked open. Several of you made a great point that the swingout really needs to stay open if adding a second arm, so I want to nail this down before releasing the second arm.

Here are some pictures of the second arm. The idea is to provide a base and then other things can be bolted to it. The first thing that will be offered is a basket like mount that can hold 2 jerry cans and a hilift jack. I plan to develop other things down the line. There are mounting holes all over this thing if you want to try and find other accessories to fit or build your own.
View attachment 3252409View attachment 3252410View attachment 3252411View attachment 3252412View attachment 3252413
I love it!
That's great work!
And thanks for fabing for two standard JCans!

I'm trying to source the bumper plastic and metal brackets for a LC so I can check fit and see what's going on. Hoping to find some locally first but if anyone in here has some they are willing to sell me, let me know.

He stopped by the shop and we talked but he didn't have one that was in good shape. A guy in Orlando reached out and sent me one. Got it today so I will start check fitting stuff this week.

Thanks again for looking!

After some fitment issues that resulted in me needing to remove quite a bit of material from the spindle mount (and some back-and-forth emails with Matt), I was able to create the clearance I needed to get my plastic bumper extension to align with all the mounting points. I don’t know if I’m just a problem child or what, but there was no way I could reassemble the bits without cutting and grinding. It looks great now—all mounted up. I’m very impressed with the quality and design. Changes the look of the Cruiser in a big positive way. Big props to Matt for his patience and help with my odd fitment issues.

First photo: red lines indicate approximately the original profile of the mount so you can see how much I removed

7384EE3B-3E84-48ED-BC21-AE89347A83F8.jpeg

3BC95ED5-C662-4343-9C11-09973BFFA011.jpeg

7B09A348-6F03-4800-A506-149DDBB94D32.jpeg

F14BFB77-FB08-4590-93BF-7E98ADC9F89D.jpeg

I'm in love with that dark green 😍

I'm glad you stuck with me and pushed through, it looks great!
Thanks again for all your help.

Matt and I have emailed about my issues and based on his observations there is a likelihood that the driver side rear frame may have been bowed just enough to cause my issues. I do know that it took some degree of a hit there (in its previous life) because the plastic bumper extension and underlying bracket were misshapen. I purchased a brand new extension and it matched up perfectly—after I removed some metal. All I know is I am really happy with the end result and just as happy to put this one behind me!

Reactions: GGM
Update with fitment issues. After messing with the LC plastic for a while I think I have an idea. This is what I've come up with today and subject to change. These are rough pieces and random hardware I had on hand.

The LC plastic is slightly smaller than the Lexus plastics I originally designed around. I grabbed a spindle off the shelf, not modified and went at it. A couple observations, first I'm noticing the frame isn't perfectly flat, there's a bow to it. I think this is normal but it can potentially make other things not align. I think I'm going to write up a procedure to shim for correction. You can see in the picture there's a gap at the top and bottom, I also think the order you assemble things has an affect on how the frame pulls flat too.
IMG_20230228_170043309_HDR.jpg

Next, F that steel piece! Remove it! The plastic will bolt to the crossmember and wheel well. This leads me to the next thing. Two birds one stone. A linkage will bolt to the top of the frame mount and will sandwich the plastic down to hold everything in place AND now you have a limit strap. The linkage works similar to the tailgate linkage. The idea is it swings past straight and folds in on itself, there a tab to stop it and locks it in, preventing it from closing. Then to close you just pull on the linkage and it swings shut like normal.

IMG_20230301_133013141_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230301_133027257_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230301_132854_01.jpg

The plastic fits snugly and could probably use a bit more of a relief but everything goes on and comes off easily.

I'm still experimenting with angles, lengths and things but it's in motion.

Update with fitment issues. After messing with the LC plastic for a while I think I have an idea. This is what I've come up with today and subject to change. These are rough pieces and random hardware I had on hand.

The LC plastic is slightly smaller than the Lexus plastics I originally designed around. I grabbed a spindle off the shelf, not modified and went at it. A couple observations, first I'm noticing the frame isn't perfectly flat, there's a bow to it. I think this is normal but it can potentially make other things not align. I think I'm going to write up a procedure to shim for correction. You can see in the picture there's a gap at the top and bottom, I also think the order you assemble things has an affect on how the frame pulls flat too.
View attachment 3261501

Next, F that steel piece! Remove it! The plastic will bolt to the crossmember and wheel well. This leads me to the next thing. Two birds one stone. A linkage will bolt to the top of the frame mount and will sandwich the plastic down to hold everything in place AND now you have a limit strap. The linkage works similar to the tailgate linkage. The idea is it swings past straight and folds in on itself, there a tab to stop it and locks it in, preventing it from closing. Then to close you just pull on the linkage and it swings shut like normal.

View attachment 3261503
View attachment 3261507
View attachment 3261508

The plastic fits snugly and could probably use a bit more of a relief but everything goes on and comes off easily.

I'm still experimenting with angles, lengths and things but it's in motion.
You have my attention! I’ll eagerly await instructions on shimming the spindle mount. And the limit linkage is very intriguing, although drilling another hole in the plastic is already causing me anxiety 😆

Matt, you might want to try and get a wider angle with that limit strap. At its current angle, the drop down table won’t clear the tailgate when they’re both down. I mean, sure it won’t affect too many ppl, but for those intending to use a drop down table in junction with their tailgate won’t be able to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom