What are your thoughts about driving your own LC on the Dalton Highway in Alaska? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m aware. Just had no clue that could lead to a travel trailer literally falling apart.. though I guess it makes sense.
most travel trailers are expensive junk made for smooth pavement (at best). They are the Range rovers of the RV world.

Travel trailers, are they what we call camper trailers? They last a lot longer by airing down the tyres, it helps stop them from rattling themselves to pieces. Heavy duty trailers that can handle bad roads day after day cost big $$$

I’m aware. Just had no clue that could lead to a travel trailer literally falling apart.. though I guess it makes sense.
Literally. On the Dempster we found screws on the floor or in the stove “pan” every time we stopped. Valances falling off, drawers, which were supported at the rear by a 1x1 slat stapled to the underside of the counter, collapsing. Oven burners vibrating loose. Brake wiring through the axle tubes wearing through the insulation and shorting. Fake wheel flares coming unscrewed and/or cracking. And, you know that little bit of water that is left in the toilet when you flush? Lol.
Never mind the myriad of wiring issues or the water lines pinched at assembly. I phoned Keystone to see if I could get a wiring diagram and they said that they didn’t have one, “they just kind of made it as they go”!

Literally. On the Dempster we found screws on the floor or in the stove “pan” every time we stopped. Valances falling off, drawers, which were supported at the rear by a 1x1 slat stapled to the underside of the counter, collapsing. Oven burners vibrating loose. Brake wiring through the axle tubes wearing through the insulation and shorting. Fake wheel flares coming unscrewed and/or cracking. And, you know that little bit of water that is left in the toilet when you flush? Lol.
Never mind the myriad of wiring issues or the water lines pinched at assembly. I phoned Keystone to see if I could get a wiring diagram and they said that they didn’t have one, “they just kind of made it as they go”!
Sounds a lot like the Starcraft 11RT I had. It was purposely built for off road travel but things kept coming apart. I was well designed but was constructed with cheap materials and assembled by monkeys. I had to reinforce all of the cabinetry, glue the radio in as it kept falling out of the slot it was in, had to constantly re-do the wiring. When I first brought it home, the brakes and battery charging system would not work. All of the ground connections were loose or no contact. I even found one wire nut where the wires did not make contact. How someone can twist two wires together, screw on a wire nut and still not have a connection is a mystery to me. The water pump sounded like a jackhammer, heater fan roared and the floor creaked when walking on it. Then, the one-piece fiberglass roof cracked and leaked requiring a complete re-do and then cracked again along the leading edge. The hitch was recalled secondary to weak welds and reports of the hitches breaking. Sold it.

The Dempster and Dalton are both on my to-do list before I get too much older.

Some years ago, I heard of rock screens that would cover over the windshield while not interfering with visibility to prevent rocks from damaging the windshield. Does anyone know if this is still a thing? When my wife and I were planning such a trip some thirty years ago, (graduate school for the both of us got in the way) the screens were recommended. Haven't heard or found anything about them since.

Sounds a lot like the Starcraft 11RT I had. It was purposely built for off road travel but things kept coming apart. I was well designed but was constructed with cheap materials and assembled by monkeys. I had to reinforce all of the cabinetry, glue the radio in as it kept falling out of the slot it was in, had to constantly re-do the wiring. When I first brought it home, the brakes and battery charging system would not work. All of the ground connections were loose or no contact. I even found one wire nut where the wires did not make contact. How someone can twist two wires together, screw on a wire nut and still not have a connection is a mystery to me. The water pump sounded like a jackhammer, heater fan roared and the floor creaked when walking on it. Then, the one-piece fiberglass roof cracked and leaked requiring a complete re-do and then cracked again along the leading edge. The hitch was recalled secondary to weak welds and reports of the hitches breaking. Sold it.

The Dempster and Dalton are both on my to-do list before I get too much older.

Some years ago, I heard of rock screens that would cover over the windshield while not interfering with visibility to prevent rocks from damaging the windshield. Does anyone know if this is still a thing? When my wife and I were planning such a trip some thirty years ago, (graduate school for the both of us got in the way) the screens were recommended. Haven't heard or found anything about them since.
The key for rocks is slow down and get over for the semis or if you see one of the Forrest service Prius’s (yes they drive Prius and they go way faster then you should) just pull over and let them pass. It will greatly reduce your chance of rock damage. That said, most of the time windshield chips can be filled. And expect the entire front to get chipped up fairly significantly. Also you will lose all the sealant from the frame inside the wheel wells.

The key for rocks is slow down and get over for the semis or if you see one of the Forrest service Prius’s (yes they drive Prius and they go way faster then you should) just pull over and let them pass. It will greatly reduce your chance of rock damage. That said, most of the time windshield chips can be filled. And expect the entire front to get chipped up fairly significantly. Also you will lose all the sealant from the frame inside the wheel wells.
Excelent advice. That is what I do on the gravel roads in Montana, Utah, Wyoming and out here in the Mojave. I drive slow on such roads. When in a group, I stay way back from the vehicle in front of me. I have had several windshield bullseyes and stars filled. Two windshields replaced, only to get cracked again. Don't even want to think about the wheel wells or the front grill and headlights - replaced several. I was just wondering if that windshield screen was still a thing. Thanks!

Excelent advice. That is what I do on the gravel roads in Montana, Utah, Wyoming and out here in the Mojave. I drive slow on such roads. When in a group, I stay way back from the vehicle in front of me. I have had several windshield bullseyes and stars filled. Two windshields replaced, only to get cracked again. Don't even want to think about the wheel wells or the front grill and headlights - replaced several. I was just wondering if that windshield screen was still a thing. Thanks!
As said further up I do the Dalton late every summer about 3/4 of the way to Deadhorse. Most times I don’t pass another passenger vehicle and only 8-10 semis in the 600 miles. You do not have to worry about following someone unless you are traveling with them.

As said further up I do the Dalton late every summer about 3/4 of the way to Deadhorse. Most times I don’t pass another passenger vehicle and only 8-10 semis in the 600 miles. You do not have to worry about following someone unless you are traveling with them.
Good to know. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, I'll get up that way. Wanted to do it for years.

Did the rail trip out of Anchorage to Seward, Whittier and Fairbanks this past July.

When I travel with a group here in the Mojave, I have found it best to lead or be the last in the group so I can hang way back. Don't want to eat their dust.

Good to know. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, I'll get up that way. Wanted to do it for years.

Did the rail trip out of Anchorage to Seward, Whittier and Fairbanks this past July.

When I travel with a group here in the Mojave, I have found it best to lead or be the last in the group so I can hang way back. Don't want to eat their dust.
Nice! For a road trip up there I always recommend 1st or 2nd week in September, just before the Denali park headquarters closes for winter. Traffic is down, things are less busy, but things are still open. PM me if you ever have questions about planning a trip.

Nice! For a road trip up there I always recommend 1st or 2nd week in September, just before the Denali park headquarters closes for winter. Traffic is down, things are less busy, but things are still open. PM me if you ever have questions about planning a trip.
Thank you for the offer! :) Will do.

Im confused about the wheel sealant statement. Do you mean the rubbery coating in the rear wheel wells of the Land Cruiser or is this a trailer thing? Or something else? I can’t say I have had that problem with my LC and it has spent a huge amount of time on gravel roads, alaska or otherwise.

Last edited:
Im confused about the wheel sealant statement. Do you mean the rubbery coating in the rear wheel wells of the Land Cruiser or is this a trailer thing? Or something else? I can’t say I have had that problem with my LC and it has spent a huge amount of time on gravel roads, alaska or otherwise.
I was referring to the rubbery coating in the wheel well of the cruiser. Mine is completely gone.

Still a big thing in Oz. Available for almost any vehicle sold here. This is a 79 series Landcruiser stone guard for models with factory snorkel. Trucks doing long distance runs almost always have one.

landcruiserstoneguardsunshadeproducts-400x300.jpg

kenwortht609stoneguardsunshadeproducts-400x300.jpg

I was referring to the rubbery coating in the wheel well of the cruiser. Mine is completely gone.
Interesting. Mine still look solid. I wonder if it can be resprayed but in a way that would not trap moisture and cause rust?

Now, if only the windshields on my cruisers looked as good. I have been lucky though - no cracks, just divots. I used to get them filled but just could not keep up so now I leave them be. Not like we have inspections.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have Rock Tamers on their truck? After hauling my little trailer around BC and literally eating through the tin foil diamond plate on the front of the trailer I got a set of Rock Tamers before more adventuresome trips and a bigger trailer. After a couple hundred km’s on chipped gravel I found that the trailer was protected pretty well but the rear of the 200 looked like it had been sandblasted. The chipped gravel came off the tire, hit the mud flap and did the Ricochet Rabbit on the truck. Both the bumper and tailgate will need repainting. I guess for every action there really is a reaction.

Does anyone else have Rock Tamers on their truck? After hauling my little trailer around BC and literally eating through the tin foil diamond plate on the front of the trailer I got a set of Rock Tamers before more adventuresome trips and a bigger trailer. After a couple hundred km’s on chipped gravel I found that the trailer was protected pretty well but the rear of the 200 looked like it had been sandblasted. The chipped gravel came off the tire, hit the mud flap and did the Ricochet Rabbit on the truck. Both the bumper and tailgate will need repainting. I guess for every action there really is a reaction.
Cardboard seems to work for lower 48 folks

91D0B699-B81B-40D4-9766-FBE6605F7400.jpeg

We will be up there next August on bikes and we will be renting bikes for our time in Alaska. I’d rather destroy a rental than my own bike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom