FJ40 Mark/Downey Header (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The GM at Downey Off Road had one in his 60 back in the day.

Outsiders never pictured until it was explained to them that there was/is a dynamic tension in the design between keeping the multiple downpipes away from the 73 and newer steering boxes, and the 73 AND OLDER oil pressure regulators and oil lines. There’s only one inch of ‘wiggle’ room in there. That is why we could never get the header to clear the 68-69 wide runner manifolds, as @EWheeler noted some time ago.

Disclaimer: the header I sent gonzopancho a year ago would fit. But I really have no idea how much he/they changed the design. Obviously I am not in the driver’s seat on this any more.

Note: if you find this information useful, consider hitting the like button.😊

Last edited:

Outsiders never pictured until it was explained to them that there was/is a dynamic tension in the design between keeping the multiple downpipes away from the 73 and newer steering boxes, and the 73 AND OLDER oil pressure regulators and oil lines. There’s only one inch of ‘wiggle’ room in there. That is why we could never get the header to clear the 68-69 wide runner manifolds, as @EWheeler noted some time ago.
Mark, you commented in discussion this weekend you had solved the 3 speed column shift interference issue that was mentioned in that advertisement posted above. Are column shifters like myself in the clear with these reproductions of your tweaked design? Or, are linkage modifications necessary for us “tree’ers” ?

Disclaimer: the header I sent gonzopancho a year ago would fit. But I really have no idea how much he/they changed the design. Obviously I am not in the driver’s seat on this any more.

Note: if you find this information useful, consider hitter the like button.😊

I know it’s been a year, but we want this right.

The stainless (new) header is very, very close to the end of production / final design from Mark’s / Downey.

It will fit fine on a 40-series or 55 that has PS box moved "up-front": 60/80 box, Scout, Astro-van, Saginaw, ...

There is a small issue with the factory box, PS or not. Same concern with the conversion on @bottombracket’s fj40 (“Barney”), which runs a mini truck box on Georg’s bracket.

So we’ll tuck the #6 primary a bit more in production. You can see where the heat shield for the mini truck PS box and the header just touch. (The intake is not on the truck for a clearer photo.)

Georg (@orangefj45) has the second prototype and we’re currently waiting to hear from him before pushing the “Start” button.

1677649227551.jpeg

@gonzopancho thanks for letting Barney be the Texas test subject. Looking forward to the next steps!

Has a price been identified for these units?

please add me, too

Has a price been identified for these units?
Not yet, but we are getting close.
We have the header fitted on one 40 and we are hoping to see how everything fits. Right now we know we need a tweak or two for best fit.
Soon...

I should add no EGR port, stainless and O2 bung please.

Very nice. I’d be interested in a C.A.R.B approved version for a 77 if you guys ever consider making.

To be clear, the current version we are working on is the stainless header, no EGR.
It will be a while before we tackle a CARB approved version. That one will like be in regular carbon steel, not stainless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom