1HZ valve cover - black or silver? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, this is a very esoteric and probably worthless question (and therefore thread), but why did the 1HZ valve cover change colour from silver to black at some point after 2009 (I think in 2010)? My two 1HZ's - 2000 and 2008 - are both silver, but looking at those that are for sale new today, they are black. Is there any difference or reason for painting the cover black?

I have no idea, aesthetics? I’ve never seen a post 06 1HZ in the flesh. Maybe ask your local Toyota dealer?

Different material for weight savings. Pretty much in line with all modern engines going to plastic intakes/VCs/plenums, etc.
Well all 1HZ covers are plastic, not sure there’d be much in the way of weight savings in changing plastics compared to the rest of the 300kg + engine. Maybe a gram or two. One possibility is sound insulation, but unless it’s gained a second skin like the FTE (and not just become black janyyc says) I can’t see this being something that happened either

I have no idea, aesthetics? I’ve never seen a post 06 1HZ in the flesh. Maybe ask your local Toyota dealer?

Well all 1HZ covers are plastic, not sure there’d be much in the way of weight savings in changing plastics compared to the rest of the 300kg + engine. Maybe a gram or two. One possibility is sound insulation, but unless it’s gained a second skin like the FTE (and not just become black janyyc says) I can’t see this being something that happened either

You’re not understanding how weight savings occur in the automobile world.

I think the 2 covers are the same. Just an updated look as the 1HZ aged

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom