Driving 330 miles in my FJ40 - talk me off the cliff (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last Rally I drove my 77 1800 miles-ft.myers,Fla to Mentone/Henegar/ Lickskillett Al and back--60 mph all the way-it never failed me--put your trust in these rigs--they are amazingly resilient

Hopefully this thread will give you some inspiration!

One of my legs was nearly 500 miles round trip and others did WAY more than that.

I’m in Atlanta as well. Just about to finish up my 77 FJ40 build.

You know we all are a little biased here toward taking the trip. That is why most of us have ours as well. It sounds like a fun trip. I agree with all the advice. Get off the highway and take some back roads. Take it slow and enjoy the trip.

Could you have someone road trip with you either to help wrench if needed or to follow along in a second vehicle if needed?

It sounds like the 40 is ready for the trip. Do you feel confident to do some wrenching if needed? Sometimes the experience of wrenching on the side of the road makes the trip more memorable.

Just my two cents!

Brother, you got this! My wife and I made that trip last year for the 30A Beach Rover Rally. Would be going this year, but we will be in Sandestin the following week.

cc221e77-5dab-4298-9454-c34b85a77b50-jpeg.2988371

9c3ee951-0f16-46a6-8bd3-7e8c8dc61f7e-jpeg.2988370
That’s what I am planning on attending this year (Sand Rover), but not sure about the distance yet. May trailer it but at the expense of more money. Looking at map now for smaller rounds other than our normal routes (we visit Grayton and SeaSide at least 4-5 times a year in our other go-fast-reliable car).

Hopefully this thread will give you some inspiration!

One of my legs was nearly 500 miles round trip and others did WAY more than that.
Thanks for sharing!

Hello. My 2 cents:
Do not take highways. Take secondary roads, enjoy the scenery, go off Road and explore
Pack a tent, hammok and a Webber BBQ
Cooler full of drinks and sone food.
AAA card
Make the trip longer

Enjoy

:cheers:

So for you long-term FJ40 guys - am I crazy here? Am I being a bit paranoid with this? I just need some reassurance to someone who has traveled quite abit in their 40 to ease my concerns.

Someone give me some confidence with some of your travel distances as well as some advice as to how to approach a 330 mile journey.

TIA!

If you've done that much work on it yourself, you know your truck pretty well, and have the skills to fix it by the side of the road if you had to - they're designed to be field-repairable with fairly minimal tools. Having said that, mine (similar vintage to yours) has been reliable, and has never left me stranded at the side of the road, and has never been on a trailer. I've driven it from Texas to Utah and Colorado and back numerous times, 800+ miles one-way. Like others have said, take your time, drive at a speed that is comfortable for you, take secondary roads wherever possible, stop fairly often, and smell the roses/enjoy the trip for what it is.

Last edited:
It sounds like you've done proper prep to make the trip. The only concern I would have is the shake in the wheel. I'd explore that a issue to determine all the steering and suspension components are solid, tight and the tires are balanced. You built it to drive. Enjoy it.

I was just talking with my wife about last years trip down to Santa Rosa Beach, it didn't take any longer going down than it typically does. (NOTE - there is a reason I drive a 40 most of the time, I'm not in any rush to get from point A to point B. And we typically take at least two stops on the 330 mile journey anyway.) We took 575S/285W/85S/185S to Columbus, 431S to Dothan, back roads over to Defuniak Springs to drop off some FJ40 1/2 doors at @thatcabledude house....then 331S down to Santa Rosa. Now I was crusing at least 65/70 mph on the interstates (Woodstock to Columbus), but the back roads were a breeze, 45/55mph....Heck, even got a candid photo from @thatcabledude on the Alabama backroads while me unknowingly passing each other.

Now going back home we took the same route from the Beach up to Columbus, but stayed on the back roads from there up to Woodstock. Had a 'VERY' enjoyable ride back just cruising 50mph to 60mph through the county side of Georgia. We will probably be doing this same route back home from Spring Break.

Here is one more anecdote. I drove my '66 (the one in my avatar) from Oakland, CA to Valdez, AK and back. I drove it from Oakland, CA to New Orleans, LA and back (twice). And I made MANY trips between Oakland and Davis, CA and up into the Sierra Nevada. I'm not sayin' all those trips were trouble free, but I NEVER had to be towed. I brought tools and spare parts. Take your Land Cruiser to the Gulf Coast.

Every trip is a potential adventure.
My wife and I have traveled coast to coast more than a dozen times in our FJ40.
Most of the time pulling a trailer but a couple with out.
In those travels we have seen new cars along side the road.
We even had a couple minor problems.
Don't push it too hard.
I have found 55mph doesn't take that much longer that 70.
Take a lot of rest stops and enjoy the sights along the way.
Your age is a bigger factor than that of the vehicle.
We did our traveling in the 70's through the 90's.
I am 76 now and as much as I like the old Cruiser, it is going to have to be real important before I take any long trips in it.
Not because of the fear of a break down, because the old bones stiffen up after an hour or so even in the family sedan.

I just re-read the first post. . . you are de-smogged, so that air pump won't seize up, and you've replaced all the coolant hoses, but, I would bring a spare waterpump just in case yours decides to seize up - not likely if there isn't some tell-tale sounds or weeps from the underside.
Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom