Rear Differential Breather (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody seen this breather before? It's off a 1974 FJ40. I've seen many different kinds but none with a longer thread like this. It goes through the Tee connecting the break lines just to the right of the third member housing. If you have, do you know a Part Number on it by chance?

IMG_2669.JPG

My '70 has the same piece.

Can't help you with the part number.

It connects to the brake lines?

@sggoat please note that this picture isn't mine (google image) but this is basically the same as mine except they are using a hose instead of normal breather.

I don't see this Tee piece on any parts diagrams but if I google it, it defiently appears on other FJ's. I've also found the Tee piece for sale on EBay.

IMG_2671.JPG

I think you can buy one used from SOR.

My July 74 still has them front and rear... standard part. I believe my 77 45 axle even does.

90404-10013 Long hose barb fitting
90404-10018 Short hose barb fitting
These are the long threaded and short threaded fittings that have a hose barb, so that you can run a breather hose up to the frame.
90930-03097 is the top breather fitting that has a hose barb instead of threads, you run a hose from bottom hose barb up to this fitting.

Resurrecting and old thread. I'm installing the ARB differential breathing kit. I have the stock t connection for my brake lines but need to use the hole for the breather.

Has anyone installed this kit on a 40? What did you do?

I think the option are:

1. Weld the original vent hole shut and drill and tap another hole for the breather.
2. Pull the cap off the original breather, hose clamp on a tube and then splice that tube to the arb tube
3. ???

Is there a special bolt part that holds the brake lines in place and has a 8mm hole for the breather?

There are two hoses, one from the front diff and one from the rear, they join up in a manifold, typically mounted on the fire wall. Here is an amazon link.

If you are just looking to attach a breather hose to it, the metal cap comes off and a hose can be connected to the barb under it.
^^This^^
If you arent going 1000% OEM this is a great solution. Run low pressure fuel line from the barb to your engine compartment, add a cheap fuel filter on top of the line.
I have mine next to the heater resistor on the passenger side firewall.

Pulling the cap off seems like an easy enough solution.

I was thinking of have a machinist spin me up new fittings to thread in the push connect fitting into. I don't think there is enough material in the originals to drill them out and tap them.

Pulling the cap off seems like an easy enough solution.

I was thinking of have a machinist spin me up new fittings to thread in the push connect fitting into. I don't think there is enough material in the originals to drill them out and tap them.
It’s definitely what I’m gonna do.🤷‍♂️ The cap doesn’t keep water out, my fluid change is proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom