Aqualu is shutting down. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swap out another topic and insert the word black guy, Hispanic guy, Indian guy, and this would be a whole different story about a joke.
If this forum was of another topic and consisted of primarily Hispanics, I’m sure a joke about that topic and Hispanics would be perfectly appropriate

An era of working with your hands or building tangible items is on it's way to dead in this country. I own a cabinet shop. I started it when I was 23 years old, and with about $10k in cash.
I'm 42 years old.
I'm also the youngest person in the shop.

When I punched in this morning, (Wednesday morning), I already had 29.6 hours in this week. I haven't encountered many kids that are willing to flat out GRIND to make it happen. And that's what it takes. Will. Perseverance. Determination.

The thing about manufacturing industries is the incredible cost of entry. I've got 8000 sq/ft, and about $1.2 invested. I don't think I could do what I did twenty years ago today. Same age, same circumstances, but today. Automation has made so many processes in my industry so good, and so cheap, that there just isn't enough hours in the day to work for free with minimal equipment to compete with established companies doing the same scope of work.

A buddy of mine works for a good sized fabrication shop. They make a lot of parts for some bigger companies that you've all heard of. Last year, they dumped a few million into a couple of sheet lasers. They are ballistic fast at cutting. A 21 year old with a dream just doesn't have the resources.

That doesn't mean it can't be done. But you gotta be smart, lucky, and willing to work your tail off. You gotta be all three.

If I were to guess, the owner of Aqualu is a serious car guy. When his business reached a certain point, he had the capital to risk branching off into something he enjoyed. If I were to also guess, the bodies are not what keeps the lights on. It's fun for him though. But, that is 100% speculation.

It's a good time to pull the pin. The last three years have been very hard on the small business owners.

Sincerely,

Middle Aged Token White Guy 😆

You are correct. Many reasons for what you say here. I have been to China many times and realized 1n 1989, first trip, that we were done (manufacturing) . As of now, population difference between them and USA is over 1 BILLION people, we lose. Next is money and business building. Culture also.. I just hope all the work by Aquala carries on because their products were so great for the FJ40/45 community for restorations. All their work was so good, I would hate to lose it.

Last edited:
OGBeno's humor can be pretty dry, but I thought it was fairly obvious it was a joke. I'm a middle age white guy with a cruiser problem, and I got a chuckle out of it. I think people are just hyper-sensitive these days because there are so many double-standards. I personally don't mind if people call me names or make jokes about me, including race, skin color, religion, etc... I just hope I can do the same to them. In dude's defense, it can be really hard to know someone's tone in a setting like this. The best policy is to just stay quiet until you get it figured out. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've been guilty of not doing that myself.
What’s constitutes middle age? Trying to figure out if I’m supposed to be offended

What’s constitutes middle age? Trying to figure out if I’m supposed to be offended
I’d say middle age is 40 up until whenever your hair goes completely gray

If this forum was of another topic and consisted of primarily Hispanics, I’m sure a joke about that topic and Hispanics would be perfectly appropriate

Is it though? I’ve never considered mud a forum for a particular group of people or race.

There are Cruiserheads from all over the world here as well as all walks of life. I’m a lower middle class carpenter. Not that that matters.

Is it though? I’ve never considered mud a forum for a particular group of people or race.

There are Cruiserheads from all over the world here as well as all walks of life. I’m a lower middle class carpenter. Not that that matters.
🙄

This sucks, anytime a business stops producing any fj' products it makes you wonder about supply and demand. Makes me think what cascading effects it has on the fj40 aftermarket manufacturers that produce niche products. But at the same time it's still amazing to see products being made on a vlehicle no longer produced and has long ago stopped being imported to the U.S. I'm still looking for an ARB bumper that ARB stopped producing. But it has not stopped me from looking elsewhere for a similar bumper. We can only hope someone can breathe life into Aqualu or some vendor comes along and fills the void.

wow. everything is racist. even aluminum Land Cruiser bodies.

Best way to lose $1 million is to base your business on a bunch of forum losers and fickle mid-life crisis white guys.

[oh, sorry, did I say that?]

I don't read beno's statement as racist, simply an honest observation on the demographics.

I don't read beno's statement as racist, simply an honest observation on the demographics.
I, however, am offended. So much so that, when I read this, I spilled my craft IPA all down my Patagonia vest (that my Labradoodle is now licking up). I might just shave my newly grown, graying beard in protest. Just wait til the guys at Cars and Coffee hear about this one!

I, however, am offended. So much so that, when I read this, I spilled my craft IPA all down my Patagonia vest (that my Labradoodle is now licking up). I might just shave my newly grown, graying beard in protest. Just wait til the guys at Cars and Coffee hear about this one!
Now I’m offended!!!

North American
1676564086778.png

The last couple of years have been really hard on smaller businesses. It’s a sad day to see Aqualu close their doors. Hopefully some one with the right skill level will invest in the equipment and continue making parts for LC’s. Congratulations to the owner though for being able to reach retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom