What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (101 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have two gouges in my forehead right now. One from my hood falling on it and one from my hatch. I can attest to this.
I just put gas struts in my hatch struts. No more falling hatch!

Started in on passenger side area to get the cowl read to meet up with floor then Asay we go on the rest. The longest time sink for this area is behind me. Prepped and ready to weld.
F9B5841A-9ABB-4177-BD57-39673545472C.jpeg
314DD2A1-024B-4CEA-A3E7-622CEF4B89B6.jpeg

A7D2C964-BAED-41D3-9DB0-14E5B397F5B8.jpeg

5E6E0215-D029-4A01-83E9-0C931AE45C67.jpeg

After pulling the 32/36 Weber and swapping back to the 75’ carb I rebuilt, I was still having a stumbling issue under a load. I had a brand new fuel pump from City Racer, so I swapped them out.

If you look close, it appears the pump arm on the presumed Chinese replacement was too short, so someone thought it would be a good idea to weld a pad on the arm to reach the cam. The hardened cam core obviously wore out the mild steel as referenced by the photos. Hoping to drive the truck tomorrow after I wrap up a few more things.View attachment 3245755View attachment 3245756View attachment 3245757
Just wow! Glad you found that

I've made lots of brackets, mounts, small parts and such for my cruiser build so far, but never anything that I would consider true panel beating. So here's my first try, making a top cap for my center console.

Pretty happy with the results. Also houses the switches for the power windows.
20230213_105926.jpg

20230213_110524.jpg

20230213_112158.jpg

And a pic of it in place but before paint.
20230213_113815.jpg

Now I just need to make facia plate for the radio

Been dreading addressing the passenger hood apron. I’ve only done hammer and dolly work once and it was on the driver hood apron which only had a few creases in it. This one was covered in about a half inch of bondo. And under that it looked like this… every imaginable issue. Cracks, dents, creases, completely blown out and stretched metal. The width of this side was 10mm more than the driver side because it got pushed back and opened up, then someone hit it a ton to ‘fix’ it, which only stretched the metal more. Here we go
View attachment 3245160
View attachment 3245161View attachment 3245162View attachment 3245167View attachment 3245168
That's why they sell body filler by the gallon. : )

I moved it out of the shop to work on my new 60 and we had a freak snowstorm. Not a ton but it only snowed for 10 minutes.
60C98C5C-A17D-4B46-855D-5CE63C82D44F.jpeg

Got a call from GF on the way home from helping a fellow Mud member get his 60 series running. Got a call from my GF that a Tesla took too wide of a turn and caught the edge of the bumper on the 40 series. Well Tesla got the bad end of it. only a chipped paint on the edge of the 40 series bumper.

View attachment 3246104

View attachment 3246105
Tell her to quit scratching your landcruiser! LOL

Been a busy week+.

Too much to narrate - and I'm really thinking of starting a thread (not a build thread, cuz' that would indicate I have a plan) to spare the masses in this thread (this is what did you do after all, not what didn't you do).

I tried to combine the photos so there are fewer but get the gist - it didn't happen if no pictures.

Doors rattle and also no bushing with the pins so ordered some hinge pins - but need roof off, ok - few broken bolts (3) (and I used Kroil well before) later and an assist, roof off. I Like the OEM part sticker (same in the 3rd picture)- not bad rust on drip rail but something missing in that first photo on the left.

Second photo - there you are - even though I had 6 of the 7 larger rivets looking from the top, none were actually connected inside (I would feel a breeze on my head on the highway and thought that's different). And Crusty Rusty there! Need to clean that, find a good replacement for those 7 rivets and reunite the two (it is Valentines day after all). Saw a thread for refinishing your roof and have watched @zerotreedelta clips too. Will pop off the rivets on rain drip and go from there - might be a summer project and just drive topless for a while.

Took the center link apart for rebuilding - parts soaking for cleaning as I type - will paint - do the drag link too - then put the steering back, sometime.

Engine woes continue - 2 issues - engine and carb - the carb secondary failed the paper clip test, took off secondary diaphragm, and it holds when I manually place a vacuum on it (over 20 seconds).... so something with the carb (I get vacuum in the advance port for example when stepping on gas) -

I don't know where to describe engine - hence a thread to those really interested. Oh yeah, also removed the ERG stuff and saw one of those Land Cruiser (FJ40) signs at Hobby Lobby today and bought that at 40% off.

Parts are inbound - snow in the forecast - and I think I hear a bourbon calling me🥃

Slide1.jpeg

Slide2.jpeg

Slide3.jpeg

IMG_9081.PNG

Last edited:
Been a busy week+.

Too much to narrate - and I'm really thinking of starting a thread (not a build thread, cuz' that would indicate I have a plan) to spare that masses in this thread (this is what did you do after all, not what didn't you do).

I tried to combine the photos so there are fewer but get the gist - didn't happen if no pictures.

Doors rattle and don't fit right (Also no bushing with the pins) so ordered some hinge pins - but need roof off, ok - few broken bolts (3) (and I used Kroil well before) later and an assist, roof off. Like the OEM part sticker (same in the 3rd picture)- not bad rust on drip rail but something missing in that first photo on the left.

Second photo - there you are - even though I had 6 of the 7 larger rivets looking from the top, none were actually connected inside (I would feel a breeze on my head on the highway and thought that's different). And Crusty Rusty there! Need to clean that, find a good replacement for those 7 rivets and reunite the two. Saw a thread for refinishing your roof and have watched @zerotreedelta clips too. Will pop off the rivets on rain drip and go from there - might be a summer project and just drive topless for a while.

Took the center link apart for rebuilding - parts soaking for cleaning as I type - will paint - do the drag link too - then put the steering back, sometime.

Engine woes continue - 2 issues - engine and carb - the carb secondary failed the paper clip test, took off secondary diaphragm, and it holds when I manually place a vacuum on tit (over 20 seconds).... so something with the carb (I get vacuum in the advance port for example when stepping on gas) -

I don't know where to describe engine - hence a thread to those really interested. Oh yeah, also removed the ERG stuff and saw one of those Land Cruiser (FJ40) signs at Hobby Lobby today and bought that at 40% off.

Parts are inbound - snow in the forecast - and I think I hear a bourbon calling me🥃

[AT

View attachment 3248600
I got your messages. Hopefully I can spare some time to talk next week. I’m up to my eyeballs in other jobs at the moment. And my daily driver is under the knife for a major brake service:
F6FD0C20-A6B8-4D0D-B4D1-F99ECCFC1503.jpeg

Rebuilding all eight of my 59 year old wheel cylinders!😛

Last edited:
After de-smog I lost the mounting point for the thermosensor that activates the carb-cooling fan.

I realize I could have cut the bracket off the old smog equipment, but did not want to ruin that whole piece.
Found a factory bracket from a 78 fj40 that did the trick....factory style.
thermosensor bracket.jpg

Last edited:
Magnetic-backed patches
IMG_4288.JPG

Last edited:
After de-smog I lost the mounting point for the thermosensor that activates the carb-cooling fan.

I realize I could have cut the bracket off the old smog equipment, but did not want to ruin that whole piece.
Found a factory bracket from a 78 fj40 that did the trick....factory style.
View attachment 3249270

Flip the bracket around - it goes the other way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom