Builds Silver Surfer Build 1985 Fj60 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think we have luxury accommodations thanks to @houstonfj40 but yes, emergency camping gear will be packed.

@reddog90 The market has spoken and determined that my 60 will be mine for the foreseeable future. I am pleased and somewhat relieved. I will never find one as nice and clean again.

@mattressking This trip DOES NOT happen without the trusty 5 speed. Nearly essential!

Spent last weekend putting one in @HemiAlex 60. So he is set for the trip as well.

Working with @HemiAlex .
IMG_1395.JPG

...and as of today, ready to rock the trip to CO!
IMG_1394.JPG

Thanks @HemiAlex ! They are beautiful and ready to get used. You are a great wrenching pal. Anytime you need anything, I think I owe you now.
IMG_1422.JPG

That may be one of the most fantastic shops I've seen...

@srogers Thanks! Lots of work happens in there. 4 cars go in it almost every night so everything has to be put away and hidden.

@FARMAN33 Been following your rig! Super cool. Was wondering how you re-stored your front and rear bumper. Yours look particularly good. Any tips I could use to try and bring mine back to life?

Thanks Joa!

Over the years, I have collected 60 series bumpers. Anytime a friend or someone local upgrades to aftermarket, I'll offer to buy / take their originals. There are very good reproductions available, but they are not the same. The new ones are not "plated" the same and are not as "shiney". I have about 5 tucked up in my attic rafters.

The "Surfer's" front bumper was very good. Rear had a very small dent. Thought about replacing the rear with one of my REALLY good ones but never got around to it. My advise is, if it is straight, re-plate it. In P.R., you may still be able to do it the "old" way. My understanding is the stateside E.P.A. makes this impossible here now. If it is dented, find a straight one local then see about plating if needed.

Thanks Joa!

Over the years, I have collected 60 series bumpers. Anytime a friend or someone local upgrades to aftermarket, I'll offer to buy / take their originals. There are very good reproductions available, but they are not the same. The new ones are not "plated" the same and are not as "shiney". I have about 5 tucked up in my attic rafters.

The "Surfer's" front bumper was very good. Rear had a very small dent. Thought about replacing the rear with one of my REALLY good ones but never got around to it. My advise is, if it is straight, re-plate it. In P.R., you may still be able to do it the "old" way. My understanding is the stateside E.P.A. makes this impossible here now. If it is dented, find a straight one local then see about plating if needed.

Awesome! Sounds like a plan. Will have them re-plated. Already got a local quote - somewhat steep at $250 per bumper, but I have added that into the budget. Thanks for your response and once again, AWESOME build.

Well.... It has been a while but. Shortly after the post above, I sold the Surfer and it went to live in San Francisco. The new owner and I have stayed in touch and followed as he experienced Cruiser ownership for the first time. I can certainly say it was enjoyed and loved by it's new family. Sold it with 112K miles and now has 157K miles!

Now for the best part... I BOUGHT HER BACK AND SHE IS ON HER WAY BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am over the moon excited and can't wait to run the streets and beach with the Surfer again. Pics to follow (should be here in a couple days).

Now for the best part... I BOUGHT HER BACK AND SHE IS ON HER WAY BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am over the moon excited and can't wait to run the streets and beach with the Surfer again. Pics to follow (should be here in a couple days).
Better update your signature line to bought her back!

Glad to see the Silver Surfer back home! Your garage is still one of my favorite places. @FARMAN33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom