Bolt on 80 Series Tire Carrier Compatible with Factory Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For anyone on the fence about these products; know this.

Matt from GGM is always open to constructive criticism, and he acts on it. If there’s a way to make something better and he hasn’t figured it out yet, he will take that advice and do something with it. His products are made with passion and dedication. Exactly the kind of guy you’d want building stuff for the 80 series.
This could not have been stated any better.

I'll do some testing and report back.
Awesome, thanks!

And if not, then I just purchase the smaller plastic ones...I have like 4 old school jerry cans in my parents garage that were on my dad's FJ40 when I was a kid in the early 80's that want to be on my LC ;)

I'll do some testing and report back.
I'm with you on this one. I run NATO Jerry Cans/Jug for water storage. I even did the "powered Jerry can faucet" mod from Overland Bound on it. It would be great to have this jog mountable on the tire carrier. Currently I run the "Wavian Heavy-Duty 20L Jerry Can Holder (Front-Loading)" bolted to my drawer system, not ideal.

Wavian Heavy-Duty 20L Jerry Can Holder.jpg

I just picked my spare carrier up from the powder coating shop and brought it home to bolt it up. Then I ran into a bit of a snafu: I have an aftermarket hitch on my ‘96 and it’s bolted to the same frame holes as the GGM carrier uses. I need a hitch so I’m going to need some spacer plates to use between the GGM spare carrier (bolted to the frame) and the hitch that match the thickness of the spare carrier.

Matt, have you run into this with any customers yet?

899C449A-98E6-4681-8472-F07078D4628A.jpeg

I just picked my spare carrier up from the powder coating shop and brought it home to bolt it up. Then I ran into a bit of a snafu: I have an aftermarket hitch on my ‘96 and it’s bolted to the same frame holes as the GGM carrier uses. I need a hitch so I’m going to need some spacer plates to use between the GGM spare carrier (bolted to the frame) and the hitch that match the thickness of the spare carrier.

View attachment 3247746
It's something I looked at but haven't dug into. Nobody else has reported any issues. I can make some "washers" for you to use as spacers on the rest of the hitch bolts to get everything back on to the same plane. They would be the same thickness (1/4") as the tire carrier frame mount. Or you could source some washers locally that are close to the same thickness. Let me know what you would like to do.

View attachment 3247746
Here’s a pic that Matt posted on an earlier page.

EF5E4A84-B1BB-412A-BF56-37EA545C3CAA.jpeg

71607517-C154-492D-AD61-F770C08F2F3B.jpeg

The frame hitch will bolt up with some washers

It's something I looked at but haven't dug into. Nobody else has reported any issues. I can make some "washers" for you to use as spacers on the rest of the hitch bolts to get everything back on to the same plane. They would be the same thickness (1/4") as the tire carrier frame mount. Or you could source some washers locally that are close to the same thickness. Let me know what you would like to do.
Thanks—I’ll reach out if I can’t source some 1/4” spacers/washers. First I need to get the remaining 4 hitch bolts removed. The bolt heads are welded to the inside of the frame channel and one of the welds already broke so I have a spinning bolt with the nut still tightened. I see the angle grinder coming into play soon.

Reactions: GGM
Thanks—I’ll reach out if I can’t source some 1/4” spacers/washers. First I need to get the remaining 4 hitch bolts removed. The bolt heads are welded to the inside of the frame channel and one of the welds already broke so I have a spinning bolt with the nut still tightened. I see the angle grinder coming into play soon.
Yes, my non-OEM receiver had spacers between the receiver and the frame. For some reason, EACH BOLT has it's own spacer on mine. My spacers were 3/8", whereas the GGM spindle attachment is 1/4". So I had to make up an extra 1/8". I used washers.

In your case, since you have no spacers at all, unfortunately it seems you'll need to drop the hitch and provide spacers at the other three corners with a 1/4" spacer. In my pic below you can also see my broken bolt head where it was welded to the frame. The ugly shear on the shaft is where I cut it off with a hacksaw, I didn't have an angle grinder available that day. I really wish I had used PB blaster and heat, in hindsight.

I have some pics of my replacement hitch bolts here:

IMG-7793.JPG

Yes, my non-OEM receiver had spacers between the receiver and the frame. For some reason, EACH BOLT has it's own spacer on mine. My spacers were 3/8", whereas the GGM spindle attachment is 1/4". So I had to make up an extra 1/8". I used washers.

In your case, since you have no spacers at all, unfortunately it seems you'll need to drop the hitch and provide spacers at the other three corners with a 1/4" spacer. In my pic below you can also see my broken bolt head where it was welded to the frame. The ugly shear on the shaft is where I cut it off with a hacksaw, I didn't have an angle grinder available that day. I really wish I had used PB blaster and heat, in hindsight.

I have some pics of my replacement hitch bolts here:

View attachment 3248045
Yep, definitely going to have to drop my hitch. I may also replace the hitch with a model that has some contour similar to the OEM hitches. Mine has 90° corners and sticks out pretty far.

I’m still working on my install so I don’t have a completed photo to share, but I did want to point out something that may help others. The GGM instructions indicate that a portion of the bumper extension bracket has to be cut off. That’s because the LX450 rear bumper has a different configuration ( the plastic extension). On the Landcruiser, that bracket does not need to be cut off because it doesn’t contain that outermost “wing” that the LX does. And in fact the bracket includes some critical attachment points for the plastic bumper extension (as @Cruisin4Miles discovered in his YouTube video). I found that only a small piece need be removed on the bracket so as not to interfere with the GGM spindle unit. I’m attaching photos of what I removed to allow for proper fitment. Those of you who have already installed your GGM carriers on Toyotas likely already figured this out (or something similar), but it may be of some help for future installs.

D0185F62-8EF3-4AF4-892A-7ADB20B51EC1.jpeg

10264697-68E8-481D-9E4D-691B7DEC6A12.jpeg

B1201630-BF53-45DF-9BC3-797DCBADECC7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom