My $500 1974 FJ40- Campbell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TStro

SILVER Star
Threads
I just purchased a 1974 FJ40 for $500. She's rough. She's rusty. She runs and drives. Odometer shows 62k miles. The red primer makes me think of tomato soup so... Campbell it is.
I've restored a 1989 FJ62, but I'm new to 40's. I just couldn't pass up buying a running and driving 40 for $500.
She spent her entire life as a hunting lease ranch truck in South Texas. The frame is coated in South Texas Caliche mud. (Limestone sand mix). Poking around the frame revealed no flaking. I took a wire wheel to one section and quickly uncovered a black frame.
The body is another story. Red primer was was used to abate rust at some point. From the cowl forward is in really good shape. The tub is seethrough in many areas and the rear fender channels are in bad shape.
The engine starts with two pumps of the gas pedal on the first turn. Based upon what I've read I think it is a .5F based upon year and oil filter location. I'm still confused on that point. It must have been a replacement engine since the serial number plate only shows "F" with no numbers. Compression test shows 140-145 across the board.
My biggest question is- What to do with it? What would you do? I'm not into rock crawling. I'm not looking for a nut a bolt restoration either. I drive on too many freeways for it to be a daily driver. Ultimately a nice clean weekend cruiser is what I'm thinking. What would you do?

FA912DC3-659C-4DD6-B5A3-A3A8EFF6DC5B.jpeg

F9B3D591-6F30-49C5-9DB7-B6D3AA6015AF.jpeg

2E73C0F2-D8C2-4E30-BB91-FB51ADF1B6D3.jpeg

9D26CC42-2D57-4372-89BF-335ECE70050C.jpeg

2E6ABECA-402C-41C0-97D9-B6B408F64639.jpeg

ABF1F97B-A7B5-4691-B608-3BFA5A440741.jpeg

64C0483E-FB70-4D6A-8D93-7CDC59B465F3.jpeg

Engine looks to be correct for 74. The lack of anything but a F where the serial number is stamped suggests a replacement engine at some point.
$500 looks like a great deal.

Engine may be a warranty replacement block. The carburetor and cylinder head have a date code. Stamped in the carburetor and case on the head. Block should have one as well but replacement really wouldn't tell you when it was actually installed.

$500 = smoking deal for a running '40. Nice going!

Congratulations on a nice score! Well done!

Engine looks to be correct for 74. The lack of anything but a F where the serial number is stamped suggests a replacement engine at some point.
$500 looks like a great deal.

Engine may be a warranty replacement block. The carburetor and cylinder head have a date code. Stamped in the carburetor and case on the head. Block should have one as well but replacement really wouldn't tell you when it was actually installed.
Am I correct in thinking it's a .5F? It's confusing in all the threads F, 1F, .5F, 155F?!? It's hard to figure out what I actually have.

Nice score. That red oxide is probably not a sealed coat so it will be rusting under the primer. I would address that pretty quickly if you plan on keeping it.

F155 was used for a few years. 70-74 models. Toyota only called it F155. Never a call a F 1/2 or F.5. it did have a new improved oiling system. Often called the 2F oiling system which unless Toyota used a time machine and went back in time it just another improvement at the end of the F engine's life.

I just purchased a 1974 FJ40 for $500. She's rough. She's rusty. She runs and drives. Odometer shows 62k miles. The red primer makes me think of tomato soup so... Campbell it is.
I've restored a 1989 FJ62, but I'm new to 40's. I just couldn't pass up buying a running and driving 40 for $500.
She spent her entire life as a hunting lease ranch truck in South Texas. The frame is coated in South Texas Caliche mud. (Limestone sand mix). Poking around the frame revealed no flaking. I took a wire wheel to one section and quickly uncovered a black frame.
The body is another story. Red primer was was used to abate rust at some point. From the cowl forward is in really good shape. The tub is seethrough in many areas and the rear fender channels are in bad shape.
The engine starts with two pumps of the gas pedal on the first turn. Based upon what I've read I think it is a .5F based upon year and oil filter location. I'm still confused on that point. It must have been a replacement engine since the serial number plate only shows "F" with no numbers. Compression test shows 140-145 across the board.
My biggest question is- What to do with it? What would you do? I'm not into rock crawling. I'm not looking for a nut a bolt restoration either. I drive on too many freeways for it to be a daily driver. Ultimately a nice clean weekend cruiser is what I'm thinking. What would you do?

View attachment 3246660
View attachment 3246653

View attachment 3246654
View attachment 3246662
View attachment 3246669
View attachment 3246677
View attachment 3246702
she is gorgeous. old and rusty

Nice score. That red oxide is probably not a sealed coat so it will be rusting under the primer. I would address that pretty quickly if you plan on keeping it.
I thought the same. I took some 400grit and some water and got through a small section of the edge of a front fender down to the original freeborn red. I did the ridge of an edge thinking I would find patina/ rust. Just freeborn red. I need to do other checks though

I'll tell you what, it looks like a huge money pit.... I'll pay you $1000, you'll double you're money and save yourself about 10-15k.

All kidding aside, great find... do a cleanup, drive, and enjoy it the way it was built to be used. :D

Another 12/73 find, mine rolled off the assembly line earlier that month. Decisions, decisions....how do you want to spend your money. If time is not a factor you can do a lot of things, if money isn't a factor either then there is even more you can do. My recommendation, define what you want to do with it and then plan a budget. If either doesn't match then modify what you want to do with it. Many start these projects and a percentage don't make it to the finish line. I knew mine would not be show room quality (too much cancer), but there was enough good parts to make a rig that can go down a hunting trail and survive teaching my daughters how to drive in a few years. I've seen some awesome builds down to each bolt and would be afraid to drive them. I also like the freshen up builds like wnrog's a lot more where they are updated, stopped the rust, and ready to be used. Scratches and dents are a part of busting down a trail and there is always a story behind them. I personally went a little overboard with mine as i changed my mind several times. The forum is a great tool to learn your rig and to see what others have done as well.
Good luck mapping out the path forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom