Interval Wipers Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, I'm waiting on the module supplier. I'll give him a nudge. I've been running the prototype of this one in my truck for a few months.

Starting this thread to document my new interval wiper design. This will use the stock 2 speed wiper switch with a programable delay relay. The Lo speed position will be the programable delay, hi speed will be high speed. First step was to make the test setup. I used a nissan wiper motor since it was $20 vs the very expensive FJ40 wiper motor. Nissan switched their wipers on the ground side like the FJ40 wipers do so it is a suitable stand in. The wire colors I used are not accurate but they work. I documented the actual connector wire colors and positions on the rear side (the side the wires come out of). I also had to make a short conversion harness to transition from the 6 place connector on the motor to the 4 place windshield connector.

View attachment 2693378
Great work, I need one of these.

I'm in.

Confirmed 10 on the way.

I know how the wiper power wires are routed for the top mount wipers (68-74). I can accommodate later years but will need some input from the crowd on your wiper power (blue) wire routing. I made the prototype for my 73 and have been using it for about 9 months now.

This is the early wiper switch (68-77), this was my original design since I have a 73. The module works with this (see post #17 of this thread).
1656992571877.png

This is the later switch with the prototype module I have been using. I have been using the later switch with the prototype module in my truck for 9 months. For the 75+ trucks, I just need to know where to pick up power. The 73 has bullet connectors for the wiper motor just under the windshield behind the dash on the driver side. Based on the '78 harness picture on @Coolerman web site, I don't think it is routed the same. Not a huge issue but need hard information for the harness.

1656993319025.jpeg

Last edited:
Confirmed 10 on the way.

I know how the wiper power wires are routed for the top mount wipers (68-74). I can accommodate later years but will need some input from the crowd on your wiper power (blue) wire routing. I made the prototype for my 73 and have been using it for about 9 months now.

This is the early wiper switch (68-77), this was my original design since I have a 73. The module works with this (see post #17 of this thread).
View attachment 3050383

This is the later switch with the prototype module I have been using. I have been using the later switch with the prototype module in my truck for 9 months. For the 75+ trucks, I just need to know where to pick up power. The 73 has bullet connectors for the wiper motor just under the windshield behind the dash on the driver side. Based on the '78 harness picture on @Coolerman web site, I don't think it is routed the same. Not a huge issue but need hard information for the harness.

View attachment 3050393
How do you want your payment’s

Confirmed 10 on the way.

View attachment 3050383

View attachment 3050393
I'd be happy to check the wiring on my 2/79 40

The wiper modules are in the mail, I will work on getting a couple wired up this weekend, it will look similar to this (wiper switch/knob not included of course). It will be $120 plus shipping to your location. I will have to charge sales tax if you order/receive it in NC.

PM me with your name and address and the production date of your truck. I have the 68-74 and 79 wiring confirmed, if your truck is a different year, we will need to verify how your wiper wiring is routed.

My real job is very busy right now so don't expect overnight service.

I will move this to classifieds after this. I know some have been following this so wanted to let you know the status.

This is the description of how they work from the company that makes these:

Converts your factory two-speed wipers to have three delay speeds in addition to the factory slow and fast speeds. You must have the two-speed wipers (both the motor and the switch).

The internal software monitors the switch to determine if the wiper speed needs to change. Much like paddle shifters can be used to sequence an automatic transmission up or down the gears, the stock switch tells the software to increase or decrease the current setting. Move the switch briefly to the fast position and then back to the middle will shorten the delay one notch. Moving the switch briefly to the off position and back to the middle will lengthen the delay one notch. There are six possible states: off, once every 8 seconds, once every 5 seconds, once every 3 seconds, continuous slow, and continuous fast. Use the stock switch as previously described to sequence through the possible states. Leave the switch in the fast position to instantly move to the stock fast speed. Leave the switch in the off position to immediately go to the off state.

1657839649530.png

Last edited:
I have been using one of these for a few months. I have 9 modules to wire up. Just need to find time to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom