Events/Trails ROTM: Saturday, February 11, 2023 - Red Creek (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is a link to a thread from 2019 by Richard of TRAL. Not sure how much the trail has changed, but we will soon find out.

Here is a link to a thread from 2017 by @Saddletramp. Photos start at post #31.

Here is a link to a thread from 2014 by @Saddletramp. Photos start at post #69.

I was fairly confident I'd taken my black 100 down this trail, but now I'm not so sure. 2017 may have been my last run in the 80.

Last edited:
This route is one of a very few that have a lot of recreational value that are on the chopping block for Tonto National Forest. Their reasoning is that there is a long list of things that live in the area that are sensitive, both flora and fauna. At some point in the future the riparian section of the route, where it turns east, will be closed. While usually that means it's simply not shown on the map, this one may get special attention and be physically blocked. I'm not saying you should go see this beautiful area while you can; I'm simply suggesting that everyone be especially respectful of the area. ;)
If the trail is marked "Closed" on the proposed "Record of Decision signed October 5, 2021" Tonto Forest Travel Management map, does that mean it is currently closed, or will be closed in the near future. See the attached screenshot. The red line would indicate it is closed. So basically where 18B starts.

I just do not want us to get in any sort of trouble.

Red Creek Screen Shot.png

I forgot about this one.

I am debating on going. Took that Friday and Saturday for some family stuff in Phx, but plans have changed. I would have to pick my wife and dogs up in N phx and head back to Flag after, think thats doable? I would be in the wife's 100.

Something to keep in mind: The Phoenix Open will be going on next week. Saturday is typically the busiest day and traffic in North Scottsdale will be bad. It might not be terrible at 8:00 in the morning, but who knows.
Just something to keep in mind for those of you coming from the west or the south.

Something to keep in mind: The Phoenix Open will be going on next week. Saturday is typically the busiest day and traffic in North Scottsdale will be bad. It might not be terrible at 8:00 in the morning, but who knows.
Just something to keep in mind for those of you coming from the west or the south.

Probably not as bad going across Carefree highway back to I-17 or Lake Pleasant Parkway depending how far west.

Any current trail conditions? 2014 my 99 4R really was up to it. As far as we made other one spot right after lunch break was not any by passes. Would be tempted in the 5th gen 4R but it's technically my wife's and not sure how much damage she would appreciate.

Red Creek has a few obstacles and has been passable in a mildly modified truck with a skilled driver. The scenery is worth the drive but i haven’t been there in a few years and rain changes things but this group is always helpful and with a good spotter everyone should be fine.

Here is a topo map of the Red Creek trail (FR18).

We will take FR24 (Seven Springs/Cave Creek Road) all the way to FR269 (Bloody Basin Road) and turn right toward Sheep's Bridge. We will then take a left onto Red Creek trail.
On the map, the green is the easiest driving, followed by the blue then the red. The red is basically following Red Creek all the way to the Verde River.

Attachments

• Red Creek Topo.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 57
This sounds like fun. I am in. This will be my first run with people from CSC. I am looking forward to meeting some of you.

unexpectedly around in AZ this coming weekend, I feel tempted . . . :hmm:

unexpectedly around in AZ this coming weekend, I feel tempted . . . :hmm:
Need another 40 on the run to protect me from the 80s! Come on out!

Need another 40 on the run to protect me from the 80s! Come on out!
sorry, I have to defer - additional work just got sprung on me :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom