1985 BJ70 - PTO Winch Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting my dirty work on my BJ70 off with resurrecting the winch. Pulled all bumper parts off and ensured the PTO is working on it's own. It is. Just need to free up the engage/disendgage lever ( works out of the well but gets hung up on the mounting bracket. Have bought non-rusted chrome pieces for the bumper, will be replacing as well on this build along with cleaning up/rattle canning the exposed frame pieces. Lube is gearbox oil apparently (SAE 90). 5/16 cable. Wanted to put in synthetic rope but don't want to go to an aluminum fairlead. Going with warn winch hook and back with the 5/16 cable. More Pics and Vids to come.

tempImage3rhrjF.png

tempImageWFF0Dh.png

tempImagelyc59L.png

tempImageGAl425.png

tempImagejysmQN.png

I filled mine with Mobil SHC 634 oil.
No bad smell.

The gear oil should not stink much at all, because it should be GL-4 90W, which would be free of the sulfur additives that make GL-5 a GL-5 classification. Nice work on the winch. I was able to fit 125ft of 3/8 EIP steel cable on mine. I have broken several shear pins. The PTO winch works great, but when you're in a bad place and the pin breaks, it's hell. Worm gears can ONLY be driven by their input gear, so when the pin breaks, it's impossible to turn the worm around in order to drive the old pin out. The best thing to do is rig up your pull to put the least amount of stress on the winch as possible, ie. snatch blocks. These old winches are not near as fast as the new electric variety, but they are stout, and will last forever.

Very nice to see! Thank you.

My project, Golden Boy, has the PTO winch added that I found in the scrapyard. I am trying to identify parts for it, because the drive shaft u-joints are frozen solid. Could I get the VIN from your vehicle by PM please? And if you have any suggestions for a new or old PTO driveshaft or u-joints I would be very grateful.

Best,

John

Very nice to see! Thank you.

My project, Golden Boy, has the PTO winch added that I found in the scrapyard. I am trying to identify parts for it, because the drive shaft u-joints are frozen solid. Could I get the VIN from your vehicle by PM please? And if you have any suggestions for a new or old PTO driveshaft or u-joints I would be very grateful.

Best,

John
PM @Wildcat Walker, he's got the parts I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom