JDM rain guard removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok I'm not a big fan of the rain guards. They just obstruct my view IMO. For those who love them, I'm sorry. Not for me.

so I have been looking at them and how can I get them off without destroying them? or is it not possible and I'm going to the to break them?
Looks like there is some little rivet type things that can be drilled out, they don't look like they are glued on?

Any help from somebody who has removed them?

Please Advise?

Ok I'm not a big fan of the rain guards. They just obstruct my view IMO. For those who love them, I'm sorry. Not for me.

so I have been looking at them and how can I get them off without destroying them? or is it not possible and I'm going to the to break them?
Looks like there is some little rivet type things that can be drilled out, they don't look like they are glued on?

Any help from somebody who has removed them?

Please Advise?
Agreed -- the only time I 'like' thems things is when it is raining and I want to leave the windows cracked.... otherwise the do seem like an eyesore. The way they fade to a purplish color is annoying too. I have not attempted removal yet either as I have not had time to look into this. Any info that comes up will be helpful to me as well.

This is the first improvement I made to my new to me, KZJ78 the day it delivered to my house (along with the useless fender mirror). Basically, undo any hardware with screwdrivers etc. They have varying different clips and what not but the main thing keeping them on is a very strong double sided foam tape that after years and years has setup super strong. I recommend wearing gloves during bubble removal as these can break in your hands while attempting to remove and the sharp shards of plastic will cut you. you basically have to get western with them, you can try prying or cutting but be careful not to ruin the paint on the door frames as you do this. After getting all of mine off in many more pieces than they were installed, I was left with the foam tape leftovers stuck to the door frames. I left it that way for another few months and recently I used a small window scraper razor blade tool to scrape the remaining foam junk off, followed by a solvent cleaner to get the glue residue off. I think I am going to end up having to respray the door frames with flat black paint so it looks new again. A lot of pain in the butt, but still worth it.

pictures? different styles so different ways of attachments

looks like there is some little clip gromet thing... thinking of drilling them out... also looks like sticky tap all the way along...

so I guess drill those little rubber gromets and then heat gun. to me?
IMG_3570.JPG

yea, heat gun will probably help soften the foam tape, its going to be fused on the 2 surfaces pretty good though. You could try something like a small putty knife to separate the foam after using the heat gun. You'll just have to test a few methods and see what you prefer. I pretty much unscrewed the fasteners and ripped them all off. Wasn't too bad.

Ok that went as expected. the plastic gets so brittle... any pressure and snap!

I would say it's like filleting a fish, you get one corner up and then you can kind of carve your way around the foam and eventually it comes off in bigger pieces. Now I need to figure out how to get the rest of the sticky mess off. As an initial stratagem I'm going to do nothing and see if the foam starts to break down on its own and just disappears? Something tells me this is the best strategy when it's -5 deg f outside.

IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG

I recently took mine off, but an investment in an eraser wheel by 3m will remove all the residue. The wheel is about $50 but took all my residue off in about 10 minutes of grinding and finishing off with a solvent wipe down.

@sleepydad69 That is actually the method I did, after about 9 months I decided to scrape the rest off with some goo gone or fingernail polish remover and it did seem to come off easier than my first attempt. The eraser wheel sounds like a good option as well.

Nice work!

I would be ok with a more 'subtle' rain/wind guard like I had on my duramax truck. It was maybe an inch and a half wide.

Does anyone know if there is such a beast for the 70's? Much better IMHO than the monstrous, view-obscuring space bubbles they put on them from the factory...

Nice work!

I would be ok with a more 'subtle' rain/wind guard like I had on my duramax truck. It was maybe an inch and a half wide.

Does anyone know if there is such a beast for the 70's? Much better IMHO than the monstrous, view-obscuring space bubbles they put on them from the factory...
I second this, sleeker and less bubbled out, I've definitely seen this on some builds, but don't know what company makes them

Nice work!

I’ve seen them on JDM vehicles. Where to get I don’t know. I got the “bubble “ type for my Ute from Australia.

@sleepydad69 That is actually the method I did, after about 9 months I decided to scrape the rest off with some goo gone or fingernail polish remover and it did seem to come off easier than my first attempt. The eraser wheel sounds like a good option as well.

I left the aftermath just sitting for now. it's Shasta McNasty stuff I tried to get some off with a plastic scraper but it's not going no place! I ordered the eraser wheel and I will give it a try. I figured eventually the foam would weather off? ok ok I'm just being lazy.

I left the aftermath just sitting for now. it's Shasta McNasty stuff I tried to get some off with a plastic scraper but it's not going no place! I ordered the eraser wheel and I will give it a try. I figured eventually the foam would weather off? ok ok I'm just being lazy.
Eraser wheel eat it all up 👍🏼

Nice work!

Climair, a German company makes a set of lower profile wind deflectors for 7x series (round doors). I don't think they would work well if one has wing windows.

another site:

On a troopy from this thread:

climair 2.jpeg

Nice work!

I recently picked up an LJ71 imported from Japan and it came with real thin rain visors. My previous LJ78 had the OEM "bubble" visors that the OP removed. I liked those, but they were quite gaudy and not the most useful to me.

So to answer your question, thin visors for the 70s do exist, but I'm not sure where to source them. There are no markings on mine, so I presume they are not OEM. Perhaps Yahoo Japan Auctions could net you some fruitful results!

Some photos - the visors are so thin that I had trouble spotting them on the auction photos from Japan. Even in person, they are barely noticeable until you come up close to the window.

2903B038-CD2E-4A58-9673-334BB7C7B099_1_105_c.jpeg
255E16F4-0F87-44A5-B1A0-3AD50B94B55A_1_105_c.jpeg

The thin ones are on yahoo auctions often. My HZJ77 also has them but they are nothing special. I left them on because they are good for cracking windows open on rainy days.

View attachment 3238840
Exactly what they are designed for and what I appreciate them for. I had the smaller skinny ones on my Duramax truck and they were nice. Not so bloody obvious that they stick out like a sore thumb. I mean gosh, the toyota ones are so huge they veritably have their own weather system.

I have some more pressing concerns I am currently working on and sorting out, once I have those sorted, I will be more intentional about hunting these down. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom