300 GR Sport Launch Edition spotted at 2023 Chicago Auto Show (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

do i spot a tail gate?

Take it with a grain of salt:

“Obviously Land Cruiser is such an important part of our heritage and has done such a great job,” Hollis went on to say. “And I’ll be looking at it, absolutely. Have I seen designs, thoughts, and hopes? Yes. But nothing to announce. It’s still a ways off.”

If Toyota does show off that 300 GR at the auto show — it’s going to cause such a commotion. Likely be the most popular exhibit at the show.
The media (clickbaiters included) will go wild.

I think that this is going to the Chicago Auto Show for two reasons:

1. The LC in the video is wearing manufacturer plates. If it was going for 'armouring', it would not have 'manufacturer' plates on it.

2. Most importantly, the Chicago Auto Show is the venue of choice for new model introductions for Toyota and Lexus. This makes sense because of Chicago's proximity to Canada. Keep in mind 'American-market introduction', rather than 'United States-market introduction'.

Take a look at the Toyota and Lexus models introduced at the Chicago Auto Show.

I have a hypothesis: maybe Toyota is going back to its roots with the Land Cruiser in the US, and it will become a no-frills off-roader wedged between the 4Runner and LX600 in price.

Black plastic door mirrors, black door handles, cloth seats (?), and other "basic" things in the cabin, smaller black wheels. Priced 10-20K lower than the outgoing model. Those that want more luxury are then "forced" to the LX600 at a significantly higher price point. Would serve to overcome the lousy sales numbers of the LC in the US, and maybe to help make the LX more appealing to luxury buyers and also help numbers there.

Just a hypothesis. May be wrong! I was just struck by how "basic" and no-frills the LC looks.
And we - in the US - have always been the odd man out with only an ultra premium version of the LC available. Maybe Toyota US have learned from their "mistake" and seen that even the 70 is enjoying success elsewhere, not-to-mention the Prado.

That said: the rear seat screens work against that hypothesis a bit. Have them in my LC200 before it become an option - can't stand them!

I doubt it. Looking at Toyota Australias site, the GR Sport is a step down from the fully loaded Sahara ZX version. At $154,000 AUD, which is $108k USD and $4k more than the LX600 'F Sport Handling'. I've seen no indication from anywhere if the GR Sport has factory locking diff(s) or not.

Personally, I want to see Toyota bring something out that competes more directly with the Bronco Sasquatch and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
  • Removable top
  • 4:1 t-case (or equivalent with transmission ratios)
  • Factory locking diff(s)
  • A choice between automatic and manual transmissions
  • Pricing within 10% of a Bronco or Wrangler
  • Solid Front axle or Long Travel IFS.
To do that, I think they'd need to build a production line in the US so as to avoid the chicken tax to keep them on par with the Bronco and Wrangler market.
But, I also think we're more likely to see Toyota bring the diesel 70 series in the US... :D

LC-300.png

Huge if the 300 GR is coming. I personally love everything minus the lack of split tailgate.

Reactions: OSS
Interesting. Hadn't noticed the tires. I suppose it could have been a vandal. Then I thought: maybe the cold weather (though probably less likely as that would take time!). I wonder if it's actually a proactive security measure to prevent theft. Most thieves don't drive around with flatbeds. Just a guess.
My guess is the tires were flattened for security. Works better than just about anything.

The low tire pressure is too fit it in the carrier!
More like lowered to fit in a cargo container. Looks to like a mid East spec LC300, the terrible pin-striping and plate mounting gives it away . Hardly in any condition to be in a major auto show. Probably on its way to UT to a museum, a guinea pig to hack up and armor up or someone’s garage with too much money to sit for 25 years. Move along, nothing to see here. Pretty meh, unless it was offered at $35k, doesn’t matter, isn’t happening.

Also if you look close at the photos, the front of the vehicle is pretty dirty - like it has been driven thousands of miles.
If it really was going to be a show vehicle at a car show, it would be immaculate and transported in a sealed container- not open on a car hauler.
My guess: this vehicle won’t be shown at the car show

Also if you look close at the photos, the front of the vehicle is pretty dirty - like it has been driven thousands of miles.
If it really was going to be a show vehicle at a car show, it would be immaculate and transported in a sealed container- not open on a car hauler.

It's also been on an open transporter in the mid-west during winter.

I would think, if there was something cheeky or unannounced going on, it would be in an enclosed transporter.

Good points.

I doubt it. Looking at Toyota Australias site, the GR Sport is a step down from the fully loaded Sahara ZX version. At $154,000 AUD, which is $108k USD and $4k more than the LX600 'F Sport Handling'. I've seen no indication from anywhere if the GR Sport has factory locking diff(s) or not.

Personally, I want to see Toyota bring something out that competes more directly with the Bronco Sasquatch and Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
  • Removable top
  • 4:1 t-case (or equivalent with transmission ratios)
  • Factory locking diff(s)
  • A choice between automatic and manual transmissions
  • Pricing within 10% of a Bronco or Wrangler
  • Solid Front axle or Long Travel IFS.
To do that, I think they'd need to build a production line in the US so as to avoid the chicken tax to keep them on par with the Bronco and Wrangler market.
But, I also think we're more likely to see Toyota bring the diesel 70 series in the US... :D

View attachment 3238152
FWIW - the Aussie price is not really comparable because those prices include taxes and insurance and IIRC maybe a few other fees added in. For a better reference, in Japan the GR Sport is $70,468 with the gas engine. The base model LC300 is $46,500. That would be pretty close to the range I'd expect it to sell in the USA market as well. Maybe higher on the bottom end - $55 - $70k. Fits nicely between Sequoia and 4Runner.

Agree totally on the 2nd part. If they bring this to the USA - the better choice would be to offer in the full range from a Turbo hybrid 4cyl at $45k to a triple locked GR Sport with the overland package and 35's for $80k. They've got to keep something in the lineup that matches the SR5 4Runner in price and function. It's Toyota's core BOF SUV market in North America. Whatever they bring - it must include that product equivalent. And then take the 4Runner to go head to head with Bronco/Wrangler.

Hey guys I have some very interesting news. I just e-mailed my local Toyota dealer about the new land cruiser and they said they could now take a deposit for a new one. I'm not sure if this means exactly but they said I would be first on the list for a new one.

This can't be show car inventory. Usually those are transported in covered trailers and are treated much better than this one is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom